W204 owners...fed up with your yellow eyebrows??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
Well I was!!! The eyebrow lights on my C63 looked yellow compared to the xenon headlights (despite the factory-fitted bulb being blue-coated) so I tried a variety of sidelight bulbs from LED's (with built in resistors to stop any error's) to a couple of different types of blue-tinted W5W bulbs.

The Philips W5W Blue Vision brand were exactly the same as the factory bulbs and probably are whats fitted from new but this means a noticeable yellow tinge.

The Ring W5W Sportzblue were simply BLUE - no white light at all and they looked ridiculous!

The LED's I tried were very very blue, almost purple. They probably just aren't compatible with the voltage going through them and frankly, these too looked stupid!

However, I have found a set of W5W bulbs that emit a lovely WHITE light that practically matches the colour of the xenons. Here is the link to purchase them....

W5W Extreme White

At over £6 a pair, they are at the top end of the W5W price range but they really do look much better than all the others I've tried. You need 4 bulbs for the W204 and each pack contains a pair.

In addition to this, I have also upgraded my main beam and fog/cornering lights to again match the colour of the xenons and maintain output. I'm not a fan of blue-tinged bulbs as they tend to give too much of a blue light and this actually reduces the light output. These bulbs, although blue tinted, give out a perfectly white light and being an uprated wattage, they are sufficiently bright.

H7 Ring Main Beam / Cornering Lights

Note - The increased wattage does mean they're not strictly road-legal but given the main beam isn't used in front of other road users this isn't a problem. The cornering lights are low down and aimed towards the ground so also pose no dazzling risk.

These also come with a free pair of W5W sidelights but are the ones that are pure blue so I don't recommend using them.

Thanks. So these H7s can be used for both dipped/main beam, right ? Whats the range on them ? more than 135m ? or less?

Here what i found: H7 Halogen Bulb Set 12v 100w Plasma Blue Set on eBay (end time 03-Jun-10 10:20:53 BST)

Asked the buyer the range but waiting for reply now:).
And then these :
Blue GP Thunder H7 Xenon White 8500K Headlight bulbs on eBay (end time 05-Jun-10 20:33:04 BST)

Are they really 8500k ? So far, tried Osram Night Breakers --- not good and Phillips Extremes --- Good but not white enough:).

er...sorry, posted twice

Last edited:
Just ordered them 501s from bay . £6.99 delivered :)

Got them delivered already. They DO look great. Them Sportz H7 are FAR BETTER than Phillips Extremes. FACT!

Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks - ordered some ready for my new car next month! (12% cashback via quidco too..) :)

Stupid question (not least as I have not yet taken delivery of my C280 and therefore can't check it out for myself) but are these bulb changes that someone with no technical knowledge / only basic tools should be contemplating undertaking ?

Just to be sure are the W5W bulbs mentioned by the OP, the ones with SKU BLB501X on the autobulbsdirect website http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-W5W-Xenon-Extreme-White-pair ?

For what its worth I think the same thing is available here for only £3.99 a pair: http://autoshop-online.co.uk/epages...?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop295179/Products/LT040 I haven't checked whether there are any p&p differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom