W204 Paint flaking on door handles.

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Goodwinb01, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Goodwinb01

Goodwinb01 New Member

Hi , Just looking to see if there is a common problem with the paint on the door handles flaking? Been to Mercedes dealer and been through MBUK and they are simply just not interested in helping identify the problem or to undertake any work under the extended warranty. Three out of the four handles are now flaking on the car at just over three years old which is totally unacceptable. I wont even start on they're cant be @rsed customer service attitude.

Cheers

2. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Have you owned the car from new? How major is the problem (would be good to see some pictures)?

I can see that it wouldn't be covered by an extended warranty as it sounds purely cosmetic (doesn't affect the functioning of the car). But some sort of goodwill payment would be nice, particularly if you bought the car new.

3. OP
    OP
    Goodwinb01

Goodwinb01 New Member

The car was bought under two years old, it's major in the sense it makes the car look terrible and shabby. I am also concerned at what may start flaking/peeling next!

The dealership offered to pay a good will sum of 12% of the repair only after i involved MBUK , which i find laughable!

IMAG0414_zpsf6020a10.jpg Photo by goodwinb01 | Photobucket

4. knighterrant

knighterrant Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Yes
    Wow, that is bad. I'd be suspicious that the car has had a major respray for that sort of flaking. Or at the very least the handles were resprayed to match the bodywork. Whether this was done in the factory, at the original dealer or later would be hard to determine. I suggest you try to find a very good paintshop that's able to give it a good look over and get their opinion. Good luck.

5. BTB 500

BTB 500 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S203 C230
    Did you buy the car from M-B ('Approved Used')?

When did the problem start to appear?

6. sirius9

sirius9 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 Saloon
    I suspect the handles were resprayed to match the bodywork.

If not, shouldnt be flaking at all.

7. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    +1 What is exposed under the flaking paint? Sounds like somebody simply gave the handles a blow over with a rattle can and little or no prep work.

8. fordgt40

fordgt40 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C63 AMG estate
    I had a similar thing happen to the nearside front handle, it wasn't so much flaking as damp had got into it and a sort of bubble appeared on what appears to be a plastic insert in the handle in body colour, the car is out of warranty and it was fixed at the dealers at a cost to me of £7, Mercedes paid 90% of the cost.

9. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    It has to be overspray. I'd get someone with a paunch thickness gauge to go over all your car. I suspect there's been a small repair or total respray causing this.

Have any of the door edges show signs of paint peeling?

10. OP
    OP
    Goodwinb01

Goodwinb01 New Member

Car was bought from Stratstone of Hamilton which is approved. Noticed it about a month ago on drivers handle but has now spread to rear passenger doors. I've been round the rest of the car and there is no obvious faults with the paint elsewhere.

Cheers.

11. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    They've probably resprayed it or part of it if it was tatty

12. Tinck

Tinck Active Member

Car:
    Mercedes c220d Sport estate
    Wow, that is shocking. Just been out to check mine, and they are all fine. I wondered if it might have had some stick on chrome covers before you had it and they were pulled off without any care and something that started small has just started to delaminates the paint over time. Especially with the especially cold weather....

13. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Fundamentally the same door handles are used across much of the current Mercedes car range and I've never seen that on any other car. My bet is the same as others: the handles (at least) have been repainted at some time without proper preparation.

14. zenman63

zenman63 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    172 Slk 250 & Porsche 911 991.2 S Cayman 3.6S
    Just look at your data card, painted door handles will be a code on there.
    I guess there poorly painted black handles without the required prep to do them right.

15. mikann

mikann New Member

Car:
    C350 cdi, c320 cdi, bmw 535
    I also have the same problem on one handle, looks like it might be powder coated?, dealer said not covered under warranty because it is termed as trim. At a MB sales outlet today, they have had the same problem on several cars and claimed under warranty saying it is a paint fault which has a 7 year warranty.

16. Max Awesome

Max Awesome New Member

Car:
    C250 CDI Sport
    I have this problem on the passenger door. 2009 model in silver. Happily its on the inside of the door handle so you cant see it, buy you can feel where a thumbnail size piece has flaked away. I know the history of my model from new and definatly no respray.

17. mulgen72

mulgen72 New Member

hi my 2008 c220 cdi right back door under the Handel flaking !! black colour !!

18. auggloop

auggloop New Member

Car:
    Mercedes c220
    Mercedes c220 2008

Drivers door handle horrendous, rear d side flaking, no respray just extremely poor quality from merc

19. limby

limby Member

Car:
    C320 CDI W204
    No problems on the door handles on mine but noticed when cleaning this morning some flaking on the drivers door, top edge of the door, beneath the window bottom edge of the trim around the window.

Will be keeping a close eye on this. Can't see any problems anywhere else on the car

[​IMG]

20. Bjm34new

Bjm34new Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350 CDI sport
    Just to update,

my 2010 C350 has the same issue only on the drivers door but a lot worse tun the op's photos, it looked fine when I bought the car (approved used MB) Ive had the car 2 months when I spoke to the stealership they asked me to pop it in but as Im now 100 miles away any approved MB stealer, did that today and was very surprised with the "oh that looks bad we'll order a new handle, paint it body colour and replace it free of charge"
    I was also told about the 3 year paint warranty and 7 year good will although neither seemed to be needed.
    cracking service well done MB Shrewsbury