W204 Parking Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tazz9901

Car
2012 c200
hi all,

I’m new so sorry if I’m being stupid. I have recently brought a 2012 Mercedes c200. The parking brake release when I pull it doesn’t always take the brake off. It seems to stick sort of and sometimes I need to kick it back to release the brake. Anyone know what I may need to do. Thank you in advance.

I was reading that you can use a flat head if you take the back wheels off and adjust the nut. But I didn’t know if that had anything to do with it not realising properly. Don’t know if anyone knows or not?

There's a cable splitter/adjuster under the rear seat base. Lift or remove it )I don't know how the 204 seat comes out) and there should be a panel in the centre. Remove it and lubricate the cable splitter mechanism. You can also take up excessive cable slack with the adjuster nut.

Right. So take the seat off and lubricate. I’ll get that sorted soon. Post some pictures when I figure it out. Hopefully help someone down the line.

Right. So take the seat off and lubricate. I’ll get that sorted soon. Post some pictures when I figure it out. Hopefully help someone down the line.

Please do... I might need it :)

Not a problem. Hopefully get some time Saturday and I’ll get some pictures up. Thanks for the help guys

I knew I had a picture somewhere!

This is a W203 but it should be similar. 'A' is the cable from the pedal, 'D' go to the brake shoes, you need to lubricate pivot 'B' and the surfaces where 'C' and 'E' rub against each other.

Parking-Brake.jpg

Are you parked on a slope when the parking brake won't release?
If so, it could be the Hill Start Assist / Anti Roll Back feature.

That stops the car rolling when you release the parking brake (or the normal brakes).

On my manual gearbox W204 when I park on my driveway which is on a slope the car won't roll backwards for a few seconds when I release the parking brake.
This is by design to allow you time to press the clutch, engage a gear and start releasing the clutch without the car rolling.
I presume it is for dummies who can't master the art of hill starts.

No mine does this regardless where I’m parked. I’m parked normally on level ground and it still does It. I’ve just tried taking the back seat off. There’s 2 parts that can come off. They look like fuel tanks. It’s not the same as the picture showing all the pullies for the break. So the 2012 w204 must be different to lubricate the parking brake somehow

See mine isn’t weak I don’t think. Only seems to click about 4-5 times before it’s on. It’s just the release that seems to not want to come off

The starting point for any work on the parking brake is to first adjust the brake shoes. The parking brake will never work well unless the shoes are correctly adjusted regardless what adjustments are done to the cable.

Just bought mine last week 2013 250 CDI, same issue, took it back and they are replacing the mechanism today. I had to pull it like 5-10 times or wiggle it about at the top of the pull, then it would release, or move it slightly then pull it, not nice. Then i saw a video of a guy just pulling on it once and it released, so took it back. Stupid point of failure. Its on these forums all the time, you would think that Merc would at least fix it as a generic issue or find a solution that reduces the friction or wear on the joining parts of the image above etc.

Thanks for the reply.
I still haven’t found a fix. What part are Merc replacing to fix do so you know? The picture above isn’t on my vehicle.

Thank you

There’s no access under the rear bench seat on the 204 (unlike the 203).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom