W204 Purchased but not collected yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzed

Car
C350 CDI (W204) & VW Golf TDI (Runabout).
Purchased a c350 CDI yesterday (12 plate), the car has around 70K on it, it's got two owners, the second owner acquired the car in 2014.

I purchased the car yesterday, but did the HPI check and MOT history check when I got home, as the dealer and I forgot to do it.

I said I would collect the car next week as they need to get all the paperwork together as well as get the second key.

The MOT history seems a bit odd, there have been two MOT's, and they show the vehicle has only done 2000 odd miles in 2015 to 2016, and 2000ish miles between June 2016 and now.

Car looks great, drives well, but the MOT advisory states in June 2016 that the brake discs are worn and have a lip, and the wheel bearings have some play, I checked and the discs and pads haven't been done (lip is there and the pads are low), I was unable to check the bearings.

I'm a little unsure as to whether the car has been 'clocked' or not, so I've gone back to the dealer to question this, they have suggested they get Mercedes to check the vehicle to confirm this, after me pushing for a full refund, If it is the case they will give me a full refund.

I've said that if it hasn't been clocked and they (Mercedes) give me that in writing I'll happily take the vehicle.

Any other thoughts/guidance?

Not sure how MB could check if it's been clocked? It's worrying how often this happens on gumtree there are even "mileage correction"services being listed... it's a joke!

What's the service history? Mercedes changed from "mileage determined " to "mileage determined or annual" which ever comes first - service regime some years back. I would expect that this should have happened at least while the car was still under warranty? Mileage may be genuine but without any service record its hard to corroborate?

I've checked the service history...

It was serviced at 16K, 34K and 65K with Mercedes, the 65K service was done I think in 2015 - I'll have to contact Mercedes again to double check that.

I was pretty peeved when I saw that, especially when paying that sort of money for a car. I'm hoping that Merc can find some information, or come back with some sort of confirmation that the car hasn't had the mileage corrected. If they can't then I will push for a full refund.

It can happen when the owner uses it as a station car and /or perhaps has a weekend or family car
Or perhaps a change in job (or loss of job) etc
Mileage 'can' be that low, but it would infer that the diesel may need a proper regency of the dpf etc.

Is the previous owners name on the paperwork or does the delayed have contact details?

Not sure how MB could check if it's been clocked? It's worrying how often this happens on gumtree there are even "mileage correction"services being listed... it's a joke!

Mercedes dealerships can check any cars true mileage via star diagnostics.

It is possible that the new owner didn't use it as much, I am hoping that is the case.

I've not seen the V5 as of yet, as the car was new with the dealer when they listed it, so I went and reserved/bought it pretty much the same day. I'll try and get the information during the week to do some more digging.

Christ mine must be clocked then, as I've done less miles than that in two years!!

I suppose you did the MOT check using that 'useful' free checker, the one where if a car has ever had a private plate linked to it, sometimes gives you all sorts of weird figures

'Get the second key' tells me the previous owner didn't have the spare key, so the dealer is probably having one coded I'd guess

Don't let little things put you off

Last edited:
...It was serviced at 16K, 34K and 65K with Mercedes, the 65K service was done I think in 2015 - I'll have to contact Mercedes again to double check that.

It's an approved used car from an MB dealer? And the last service was done in 2015? Something does not add up. As of 2007, service needs to be done every 12 months. MB are not supposed to sell the car in this condition. Or was there a later service in 2016?

wow, that's not much driving.

I guess I'm the sort that does around 10 to 15k a year so I'm used to seeing the mileage rack up, but I was thinking of keeping the golf as a run around to and from work and using the merc for pleasure.

I actually did a full HPI check using hpicheck.co.uk, and used MOT History to confirm the MOT mileage etc.

Well I'm hoping MB come back with good news! :)

markjay said:
It's an approved used car from an MB dealer? And the last service was done in 2015? Something does not add up. As of 2007, service needs to be done every 12 months. MB are not supposed to sell the car in this condition. Or was there a later service in 2016?

I missed this but well spotted

Surely as an approved used car, MB before sale would make sure outstanding services are completed, it's possible as the previous owner didn't do hardly any miles that they didn't bother to have it serviced

Possibly MB will be servicing it before handover?

No, its not from MB, its from a non-merc dealer, actually a car supermarket, one of those high turnover places, so I'm guessing they do little or no checks, and buy cars at auction, ex-lease etc.

No, its not from MB, its from a non-merc dealer, actually a car supermarket, one of those high turnover places, so I'm guessing they do little or no checks, and buy cars at auction, ex-lease etc.

A lot of car supermarkets own main dealers so probably get a steady stream of used stock from that source . My dealer has just been taken over by the Lookers group and I know Arnold Clark has got MB dealships in its group.
Won't a hpi check give you the information you want ?
I wouldn't be too worried about the mileage, I've got a car in the garage that does less than 1500 miles between MOT's.

fuzed said:

Okay now this makes more sense

Which big super market is it?

Okay now this makes more sense

Which big super market is it?

they are called v12 sports and classics based in Hinckley Leicester, wouldn't say are one of the big supermarkets, but do have quite a few cars on site.

they are called v12 sports and classics based in Hinckley Leicester, wouldn't say are one of the big supermarkets, but do have quite a few cars on site.

Sounds perfectly normal that the 2nd owner purchased the car 2014 a 3 year old lease car. The second owner had the car 2 years makes sense.

Someone only doing 2k mile a year, i.e the school run or like me to and from the train station could be true.

Motorway driving could cause break disc ware and bearing as it hard on tyres and suspension.

Look at the steering wheel and peddles are they warn or maybe brand new? Otherwise you need to check with previous owner/service history etc.

Sounds perfectly normal that the 2nd owner purchased the car 2014 a 3 year old lease car. The second owner had the car 2 years makes sense.

Someone only doing 2k mile a year, i.e the school run or like me to and from the train station could be true.

Motorway driving could cause break disc ware and bearing as it hard on tyres and suspension.

Look at the steering wheel and peddles are they warn or maybe brand new? Otherwise you need to check with previous owner/service history etc.

The interior looked fine, steering wheel etc looked ok, didn't notice any adverse wear on it.

i'll update when I know a bit more later in the week hopefully.

Purchased a ML 3 years ago and know it needs an MOT early part of the year. So checked it yesterday........

Noticed it was racking up 20ish thousand miles per annum with 1st owner but between 3-4,000 since I purchased it.

For balance - my E Class racks up 26 - 34,000 per annum.

They've got a car lot near to where I live. I've never had dealings with them .
All I would say is do a Google Search and read the reviews from past customers and then decide...

I too only do 3-4k a year, bought mine two years ago with 12k. It now reads 20k with me working in London it means I only get to use it at weekends!!!! Shame as I really engoy driving the Mercedes, it's nudist one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom