w204 recall.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sheffield Col

Car
Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
I have just been reading about a common problem with the c class steering lock, maybe it's not just the c class. Does any one know if there has been a recall for this issue ?

I'm not aware of a recall for it.

It is a fairly common fault and is going to be inevitable on all 204s. The motor in the electronic steering lock is poor and wears out prematurely.

When it fails it immobilises the car. If it fails in the locked position, you've got big problems.

If it fails in the open position, or hasn't failed yet, it can be replaced cheaply if you're ok with DIY, or fairly cheaply by an Indy.

I did mine for about 15 quid, replacement motor from eBay. Luckily it failed in the open position for me.

On a general note, recalls are usually safety-related.

Unless the steering wheel could get locked while driving, then even if there was a common issue it would more likely be addressed via a technical information bulletin on WIS rather than via a recall.

This means that if the car is no longer under warranty, the dealer will repair it as per the WIS documents, but it will be chargeable.

Said that I don't actually know if the steering lock is a common issue on the C-Class or not....

If there is a recall anywhere, then it will be in the US where owners are likely to have taken out a class action law suit. I know they got a recall for the rear light problem when we didn't.

Interesting as per a previous post mine failed recently and cost best part of £1K to have it fixed.

MB said was security critical and parts could only be obtained from Germany and fitted by them Main Dealer too.

Mine failed and the cost to fix was around £170 with a local Indie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom