W204 Reversing Camera Guidelines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sean_250

Car
C250 CDI Sport Auto
The reversing camera in my W204 C Class (facelift 2011) doesn't have guidelines. Is there a way these can be switched on?

Sorry no direct help, but I am thinking of putting one in my 204 estate, I asked rudimods on ebay about one they have listed and they said it may need coding.

I have seen some threads on here I think that show how to turn on the rear view camera lines in the eng menu.

I would love to know what you used if it works, and are the rear of a estate and saloon the same, ie would the boot release camera of the saloon and estate be the same?

I have been told reversing camera only work with comand system, you can go in to the engineering mode and switch on/off reverse camera. There are some youtube videos which shows how this is done. I dont think any coding is required because it is already preset on the comand system

I have been told reversing camera only work with comand system, you can go in to the engineering mode and switch on/off reverse camera. There are some youtube videos which shows how this is done. I dont think any coding is required because it is already preset on the comand system

I think that might be true up to the facelift in 2011, after that I think it is locked out.

At least on mine with an NTG4.5, satnav, dvd, disk changer etc, when I enable the reverse camera in the menu it makes no difference, I would expect a blank screen with lines saying to check surroundings when I shift into reverse, but I get none of that.

I expect MB just had sleepless nights that a few quid was escaping, so blocked it until you take a gouging.

I
At least on mine with an NTG4.5, satnav, dvd, disk changer etc, when I enable the reverse camera in the menu it makes no difference, I would expect a blank screen with lines saying to check surroundings when I shift into reverse, but I get none of that.

In NTG4.5 the lines are generated by the camera. The ML/GL (W/X166) have always had lines. Lines seems to be being added for newer cars (for instance the W212 gets them in MY13 (or 14, can't quite remember). Also newer cars are getting shutters over the cameras to protect them from dirt.

I always code cameras with Star diagnosis (having updated the data card) but then I only fit factory cameras where a car can have one. The ML (for instance) needs an expensive tool to set the camera lines up though..

BUT, you can turn on cameras in the engineering menu on NTG4.5. I suspect you changed the setting but didn't do the 'reset' so it loads the settings

Richard

Thanks Richard,

I tried again this morning, it still had the camera setting I had set, so I changed the number hybrid consumption bars, and went all the way to the bottom, of the hw menu. I did not find reset but there was an 'end' option, I thought it was just exit and ignored it before, this time I treated it as 'apply' and it worked!

Now reverse gives me a blank screen with check surroundings, but no guide lines.

Now I just have to find a suitable CCD camera with lines.

The lines are not that important really, for me it is to check for abandoned bikes on the drive and to help reverse my little trailer, you cannot see it when it is unloaded which is a pain.

It might also be useful as a rear view mirror when the boot is full, not sure if that is legal/possible?

Ta

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom