W204 safety recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue is that VOSA classify as 'safety issue' any fault that can cause someone to come into harm even if the possibility of it occurring is somewhat remote.

Sudden loss of power, or engine cutting off, can in extreme circumstances cause a crash.

Not very likely, granted, but in the hands of a new driver who might panic and brake on the motorway, or an aggressive driver who tries to speed across a busy junction, this can happen.

Again, not very likely in most circumstances, but even if the possibility is remote, it will be classified as safety related

Of course, issues like BMW Minis' water pumps catching fire that consumes the entire car within minutes will be at the other end of the scale, right next to Toyota's sudden acceleration...

Again, not very likely in most circumstances, but even if the possibility is remote, it will be classified as safety related

Spring perches ripping off was never classed as a safety recall. I would think the potential for problems was much greater, but that was a few years ago, before we went all soft, theoretical and PC.

Wheels falling off, brakes failing, accelerator sticking full on, propshafts dropping off would all rank as more dangerous than the ECU adopting limp home mode....with the theoretical risk of engine cut out.

Isn't limp home mode something to be expected these days?

Isn't limp home mode something to be expected these days?

Very much so in most diesels - too many triggers DPF's / injectors / fuel quality etc...

Still what would I know - i'm an alleged jew hating nazi because my user name is shared with a ww1 fighter pilot... Still I should expect this sentiment on a Mercedes Benz site I guess as they are nothing to do with Germany at all are they? :fail

Dieselman said:
Wheels falling off, brakes failing, accelerator sticking full on, propshafts dropping off would all rank as more dangerous than the ECU adopting limp home mode....with the theoretical risk of engine cut out.

Are you under the impression that I personally had anything to do with this recall being a safety issue? It was VOSA that classified this recall as a safety issue, not me. Why are you wasting time trying to convince me that it's not a safety issue, I can't make VOSA change their classification.

Hmmm. I thought I quoted marjays post.

Apologies if it was yours I quoted by mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom