W204 seat buckle restraint system malfunctions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonny91

Car
W204 c320 cdi sport
Hi looking for abit of advice.
I have a w204 late 2007 c320 cdi sport owned the car for about a year had no issues apart from one which developed about 3-4 months ago.
I would be driving the car and all off a sudden i would get the srs light on and a error message saying something along the lines of right restraint system malfunction visit workshop, then it would turn off. This would last 10 seconds and i would never see it again for about a week, after a while it started to get more and more frequent.
I started to google it and found it could be a issue with the seat buckle so with that in mind next time the light came on i moved the buck abit and it went off instantly.
It got worse to the point it was coming on numerous times and staying on for a few minutes, but i was able to pinpoint it to the buckle every time, a little move and it would go off.
I actually put a empty bottle between the buck and arm rest and it stayed off for a while.
I was about to order a new buckle when i recieved a letter from mercedes about a restraint system module recall, perfect timing in my opion as it just saved me abit of money but turned out the module they replaced was in the engine bay and nothing to so with the seat buckle.

About 2 weeks ago the light got worse and worse untill it was mostly staying on all the time so i decided to order a new buckle, scanned ebay and ordered a second hand one which i fitted today.
Turned car off and changed over the buckle to find the light still stayed on, only diffrence was sometimes i got 2 error messages related to each other but i only get the right restraint malfunction now, i also noticed the part numbers are diffrent on the buckle could this be the issue ? Original - A204 860 02 69
Replacement- A204 860 02 469

Could the issue be the i have to reset the light first ?

Thats the options i have, i can just order a brand new buckle from
Mercedes this time with the same part number from the original buckle but i dont want to do that and find the issue is that the light needs reset and i dont want to buy a reset tool to do it and find the light still comes on

Im going to have to do one just wonder if anyone had any suggestions

There's a chassis no break point
A2048600269 up to Chassis F131346 Date 31/01/2008
A2048602469 after

Yes so the part i have is a newer part, do you think this part will be fine and it could just be the light/code needing reset ?

Can't answer that one except to say that if Mercedes stipulate a "before and after" chassis no there's a reason- possible electronic compatibility? If parts are interchangeable they are usually designated by "replaced by"

Last edited:
Yeah i thought that, i can get the original part from my local mercedes, should be the same price as the one on ebay you posted as thats feom mercedes in newcastle, so around the £50 mark which isint to bad but then i might still be hit with the light staying on and in that case instead of paying someone to reset it i would rather by a reset tool myself as its handy incase its needed again.
I would really prefer one that could be used on mostly all cars but seems the one i am looking at is brand selected icarsoft i980
I have a obd reader but just reads and resets the engine light, it wont do the airbag or srs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom