W204 spec level change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My guess the "new" sport with 17inch wheels = the old Avantgarde spec car which we didn't get before ---- the " new" Sport plus = the old AMG kitted car with some red sewing on the seat trim PLUS a price hike. :rolleyes: However that's speculation till we see what''s on offer ---or not in the case of the Elegance. I still haven't heard a decent justification as to why a model line available in other markets--- so the components to build one readily exist on the production line ------is not to be offered to customers in the UK? :dk:

... they do make some odd decisions... how many X1 / X3 owners (like me) would have happily had a GLK even in rwd form......

My posts appear to be highly critical of MB UK but they stem from concern they may be shooting themselves in the foot by this sort of short sighted policy. :( Sure they may make a wee bit more money in the short term but run the risk of alienating or losing part of their traditional customer base in the longer term :doh: ---- as they say on the BBC -- "other manufacturers are available !" :rolleyes:

Calcite white is being replaced with Polar white

If that is right then I am so glad I didn't go for white (which was my initial choice) when I bought mine.

My reason for not going for it was that I didn't want to end up parked next to a BMW or Audi (or Ford), walk back to my car and be reminded that Calcite White was an off white.

Now it looks like an older calcite white car parked next to a new polar white car will be the same and will look old and dirty by comparison.

BTW

It would be nice if they could introduce some real colours (other than the Brown they introduced at the start of this year)

How does my arrogance lose Mercedes sales?

:confused:
Whether you personally are arrogant or not, I don't know and I make no judgement on that. My point was that MB-UK (and a number of showroom sales staff) demonstrate the arrogant "I'll tell you what you should have" attitude that leads to the very lack of choice that grober and I are lamenting.

And the customer can order a car with normal suspension and 16" wheels if they want with the new specs - it is called SE.. IF they want to then add bits to an SE to make it like an old Elegance they can...
That's not actually true and - more importantly - even if a customer could do that it would still be an SE loaded with options leading to the attendant increase in depreciation.
Am unsure why I'm being vilified as a demon for pointing out that most people in the market for a 4dr exec saloon want a sport spec.
You're not being vilified at all. The key part of that sentence is the bit I've highlighted, i.e. "most" which is different to "all". I'm not even convinced about the "most" bit, actually, when linked to the word "want".

The vagaries of the UK new car market, distorted as it is by fleet purchases, throws up some strange spec preferences. Add in the fixation that most motoring journo's have for suspension, wheel, and tyre setups that are quite horrid on UK roads and you get a large number of sheeple opting for something that is actually less suitable for their needs than other options.

I don't actually mind this - it's a free country and people are entitled to their own preferences - but I do object to MB-UK refusing to supply a specification available in other markets that suits my needs better than their marketing demographic or finance department-led stereotype of what I "should" have.

Last edited:
I shouldn't worry just yet as I assume the Spec change date will refer to an orders placed from date rather than a build in progress date ? But if you are unsure check with your dealer. Clarification would be useful for other forum members with cars on order.

Although not in the market for a new car, I remain friendly with the salesman who I bought my W212 from last year and he told me a week or so back that for the W204:
  • The Elegance trim option is being dropped
  • All W204's are to have the large star three-bar grill
  • The range will become: SE, Sport, Sport Plus
  • Sport will be on 17's
  • Sport Plus will be on 18's and have extra kit (I don't know what)
Your dealer should be able to tell you exactly what the differences are - they've been briefed already.

From what I was told SE will now become SE Luxury, Sport will replace Elegance but will not have xenons (ILS) and will have 17inch wheels. Sport plus will have ILS with xenons, 18inch bi colour alloys wheels, boot lip spoiler, and the red stitching on the seats and red seatbelt.
I'm sure its only available for new orders.
HTH

It's an age thing. The sport cars IMHO are pretty soft and supple and I'd want a firmer set up even more so than BMW offer in M sport trim. Sport plus sadly will just be a trim and not have exciting options like LSDs and really high quality dampers and really firm springs and beefier anti roll bars.

I like the idea of a sport plus but there needs to be a comfort luxury orientated model with ruffled leather wood etc basically everything I hate

nd not have exciting options like LSDs and really high quality dampers and really firm springs and beefier anti roll bars.

I agree with you.
Please do you know if really does exist the possibility to have LSD from factory (I'm no referring to AMG performance model)?:)

thanks

Thanks for this posting Wezza... i've currently got a C350CDI Estate on order and was not aware of this impending change. I've just dropped a note to my salesman who should hopefully be able to clarify the difference between the Sport & Sport Plus, and if I can still change it.

Thanks for this posting Wezza... i've currently got a C350CDI Estate on order and was not aware of this impending change. I've just dropped a note to my salesman who should hopefully be able to clarify the difference between the Sport & Sport Plus, and if I can still change it.

The thing is every car changes every year as the models are refreshed.

Normally we are talking a change in spec here, new colours and slightly different styling. This is the way the whole motor industry works.

So what is being talked about here is the 2013 model year which is expected to start hitting the streets in the summer.

I would not loose too much sleep because even if you decide to wait for the 2013 model, this time next year you will have a 2014 model and so on.

On top of that, the best deals are normally had on current stock. Expect to pay a premium if you want to order a 2013 model before they hit the showroom.

The big deal would be when the W205 comes out. At that point you probably would want to wait.

And to the person who said choice is being taken away!

You always have a choice. It's just that choice may have a BMW or Audi badge on the front of it if MB do not have a model that meets your requirement at the time you come to buy one.

Am unsure why I'm being vilified as a demon for pointing out that most people in the market for a 4dr exec saloon want a sport spec.. I note the letters SE after my daily driver in my profile... and it has std 50 profile tyres :doh:

Possibly because you appear to confusing most with all:) I don't want huge wheels, low profile tyres and sports suspension, Cumbrian roads are too, err, crap. Plus I do rather like the gunsight on the bonnet!

I don't think you are being vilified, or being demonic, just assuming everyone wants sport.

Possibly because you appear to confusing most with all:) I don't want huge wheels, low profile tyres and sports suspension, Cumbrian roads are too, err, crap. Plus I do rather like the gunsight on the bonnet!

I don't think you are being vilified, or being demonic, just assuming everyone wants sport.

Cumbrian roads are really good fun for driving FAST with the music on LOUD!!!:ban::ban::ban:

BTW

It would be nice if they could introduce some real colours (other than the Brown they introduced at the start of this year)

I'm with Mark on this. The colour choice is simply awful.

I went with Red as it was the only thinng bright and cheery which is what I wanted for a change.

I also went for Sport with 17" wheels for ride quality, I would never order Elegance - reminds me of something Hyacinth Bucket's husband would order.

Does anyone actually have access to sales figures that can provide Elegance vs Sport ratios of sales? It's a mute point till then.

And to the person who said choice is being taken away!
You always have a choice. It's just that choice may have a BMW or Audi badge on the front of it if MB do not have a model that meets your requirement at the time you come to buy one.
I'm sure the marketing people at Mercedes would be positively delighted with that sentiment. ;)

Mercedes buyers love rust. The Lancia marque is sadly no longer with us.

If that is right then I am so glad I didn't go for white (which was my initial choice) when I bought mine.

My reason for not going for it was that I didn't want to end up parked next to a BMW or Audi (or Ford), walk back to my car and be reminded that Calcite White was an off white.

Now it looks like an older calcite white car parked next to a new polar white car will be the same and will look old and dirty by comparison.

BTW

IYHO of course. I chose Calcite because it was more "ivory" than plan old white. Nothing old and dirty on mine.

I have a C class saloon on order at the moment and I am not sure how I feel about it changing 2 weeks after I am supposed to collect it. Does anybody know for sure what the sport plus pack consists of?

I have found this link Mercedes-Benz Unveils C-Class Coupe Sport and AMG Plus Sports Package | AutoGuide.com News but it refers more to the coupe so I am not sure I will be affected.

Unless you want red highlights and different wheels, I wouldn't worry about it. Your current Sport spec is pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom