W204 Sport Curbed Alloy after 40 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExW205and204

Car
W205
Be gentle this is my first post on this forum.

I picked up my first Mercedes yesterday, a brand new C180 Auto Sport:D

P1000868-2.jpg

Then I went and curbed one of the front alloys today after only 40 miles.

Its not that bad, but I'm a very picky with my cars and want to get it sorted.

I have two questions, how easy is it repair the diamond cut 18" AMG 7 spoke alloys? I would need to keep the diamond finish as I'm only repairing a single alloy.

The second, what is the colour finish of these alloys?
I've been looking for a replacement and the only ones I can find are;
AMG alloy wheels | Genuine new 18" AMG 7 Spoke | fits Mercedes C Class Saloon W204 | Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd

Which are shown as Mercedes High Sheen with Titanium Grey
or Mercedes High Sheen with Standard Silver, neither of which seem right.

Just want a comparison in price before I go to the MB dealer for a replacement.

Your dealer can probably point you in the right direction for a repair, they get them done on sale cars.

where are you based?
my last wheel repairs were at Bishopthorpe York.
Details given by rally people who get wheels reapired frequently.

Amazing what they can repair, but a deep cut??

Paul

I bet you said "golly gosh, my goodness me. I seemed to have scraped one of my nice shiny alloys" or words to that effect. You just lend the car to my wife. In no time at all the three remaining wheels will match your dinged one.

Thanks for the replies,

I'm located in Lowestoft, Suffolk (not the end of the world, but we can see it from here)

There were some rather naughty words at the time.

It was rather ironic, as it was only 5mins after I told my girlfriend to be ultra careful when she drives it, after the dealer had told me diamond cut wheels can't be easily repaired (hence not eligible for the optional smart alloy wheel repair coverage)

the dealer had told me diamond cut wheels can't be easily repaired (hence not eligible for the optional smart alloy wheel repair coverage)

Strange, my wheels (and tyres) are covered. 10 wheel repairs in three years I belive.

Aoraki said:
Strange, my wheels (and tyres) are covered. 10 wheel repairs in three years I belive.

You have to pay for it. Up to 10 repairs or something. Can't remember how much tho

You have to pay for it. Up to 10 repairs or something. Can't remember how much tho

During the hand over, I was given a form showing the following options;

• Gap Insurance
  • Smart Repairs (dents and scrapes)
  • Wheel Smart Repairs
  • Fixed Service costs
I wasn't interested in any of them, but it was explained the Sport isn't eligible for Wheel smart repairs and that section was crossed out.

After a bit of research most places will send the wheel away for repair.
Wicked Wheels quoted £100 for a 7 day turn around inc collection which is reasonable.

However diamond cut wheel are prone to corrosion following repair. Added to the fact the damage is so minor and the wheel is new, I'm going to leave it as is.

If I kerb it again, or the current damage leads to corrosion I will get it repaired or replaced.

I totally understand how gutted you must still feel about the alloy. I'll eventually be collecting my C350 sport tomorrow ( :D ) and I'm already having nightmares about curbing the wheels - or to be more precise, about my wife curbing the wheels. I'll try not to ask her to be extra careful because it appears that's a signal to damage them myself :crazy:.

When I collect the car I'll be thinking very carefully about the wheel smart repairs if it's offered. I don't think I'll bother with any of the other things that are really just insurances - I've spent enough on it already and I haven't even seen it yet! And if the tanker drivers get their way I won't be able to get any petrol for it when I do - so my wheels will be safe ;)

Diamond cut ones are difficult to repair and refurb, I kerbed one of mine avoiding an accident after a year of dead ends I finally found a place based out of Scunthorpe that would do a smart repair. Cost £45 and they did a reasonable job, not perfect but you would have to look very hard to tell and much better than it was so value for money. I realise you are no where near but if you search on here the place has been referenced several times now.

diamond cut alloys are not covered by the MB smart repair scheme, its in the really really small print

If it makes you feel any better, Snap! Same wheels, same issue, though I managed to last about 400 miles before crunching mine. Pretty minor damage so I'll leave it for now, but will be interested in how it goes if you do go ahead

All diamond cut wheels are a problem on refurb. Wicked wheels can do a good job, just check colour match and don't accept poor quality finish. You can find my other threads on this subject, now have a refurb set for winter and shinny new ones for summer. If ain't bad I would leave it, but I know how you feel, caught my refurb on a width restriction kerb, still drives me nuts when I wash the car and see it.
Kamal

My advice would be if you choose to leave it, sand it and get some lacquer on it pronto...

Yep, good advice. A clear lacquer touch up stick is good to do this. You will greatly reduce the speed or corrosion starting and spreading from the point of damage by sealing the breach from the elements.

Diamond cut repairs by a decent outfit will be as good as a new wheel. If you want to repair it do it now. If you can live with it, make sure you seal it with he lacquer.

Lepsons are the best refurbers in the country IMO, followed by Pristine.

Congrats on the new car :thumb:

where are you based?
my last wheel repairs were at Bishopthorpe York.
Details given by rally people who get wheels reapired frequently.

Amazing what they can repair, but a deep cut??

Hi Mate,

Can you please DM me the details. Im based in wakefield might give them a ring. OR if someone can recommend in west yorkshire area.

Thanks

Sal

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom