W204 stalling when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
Hi all, long time no post!

I have a 2010 W204 C220 (auto, diesel) and a problem which seems to be getting worse...

The issue is that when I first start the car after it has been idle for a while (the longer its idle, the worse the problem) when I shift into a gear to move off (reverse seems worse) it will stall.

I'd been living with this for a while (a few months) but a couple of days ago after it had been left for 3 days I had to try 7 times to get it to not stall. Each time I started the engine again, moved into reverse and it just stalled.

Maybe coincidental, but I have also noticed it slower than normal getting off the mark, for example, if I stop at a crossroads, it takes longer (than usual) to actually move. Again, worse when the engine is cold.

I have no warning lights.

Sound familiar to anyone? Anything to look at?

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. From cold when put into reverse to reverse off my drive it stalls. If I let the engine tick over for 30 secs first before engaging neutral more often than not it seems to be ok.
I would be interested to to hear any ideas on this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem. From cold when put into reverse to reverse off my drive it stalls. If I let the engine tick over for 30 secs first before engaging neutral more often than not it seems to be ok.
I would be interested to to hear any ideas on this.

Should have said my car is a C250 CDI 2010. 49k miles. Yet to have the transmission oil changed (getting this done in a few weeks time). Not sure if that's relevant?

Hi C250Ride, yes, I would also do this, but this week even that didn't work. I actually thought I was stuck, but it eventually moved off with a difficult combination of brake pedal (to move gear) accelerator, gear into reverse and caution!

Oil change in the tranny is always beneficial. Do it regularly, every 30K or so to keep it sweet.
Now, Try a gearbox reset. Think it goes something like this below but UTube has lots of vids on the procedure.

Insert key and turn to position 3, the one before it actually starts.
Press down slowly the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold for 30 or so seconds.
Slowly release the throttle pedal until it gets to the top, then turn the key to off and remove it from the ignition.
Exit the car, close the door and leave it unlocked for a minute or so.

Then get back in, and start the car normally. Proceed to drive it away.

With any luck the Transmission Control unit will reset it self and your away.
Let us know how it goes.
If this does not work then get the codes read on Star.

Lets hope it works and your issues are gone. :)

Update on this thread. I've now had codes checked and found nothing. No fault codes recorded at all. The problem still persists. I now reverse car onto drive. I need to do combination of brake and gas pedal to stop car from stalling.
Omega1 have you managed to get any further with your car's issue?

Also meant to add. I have had transmission oil changed and also performed the transmission reset procedure as mentioned above to no avail.

Hi C250Ride, yes, I would also do this, but this week even that didn't work. I actually thought I was stuck, but it eventually moved off with a difficult combination of brake pedal (to move gear) accelerator, gear into reverse and caution!
Did you resolve this issue at all Omega1?

Hello! I have the same exact problem. Even mechanics cant find the solution. Did you find out what it was?

No fault codes buddy ?
No fault codes. Done the full service as well. I've read some threads saying it might be related to TC. Happens in cold starts, when I put in reverse it stalls to the point that it turns off. But after 2 attempts the car goes as normal when engine gets warmer.

2011 C250 CDI
Same thing here. I just replaced engine oil and filters, also topped off the gearbox oil as it was a little under the level. Today was like 1 degree C outside and when I put it in R while slowly letting my foot off the brake it stalled. I usually keep it in Efficiency mode. Before today I just had that thud after letting the brake off (these things only when its cold and I start the car after its been a day since its parked)
This issue is driving me crazy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom