W204 - Strange brake feeling

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by aceface321, Jul 4, 2016.

1. aceface321

aceface321 New Member

Car:
    C Class Coupe W204
    Hello,

I recently purchased my first Mercedes, a lovely C Class coupe 220 on a 63 plate.

Love it to bits with the exception on the brakes, they just don't feel quite right to me.

I have had all the pads and discs changed to genuine Mercedes parts and also had them bled my Mercedes but they still feel a little spongy to me.

The car stops but I don't get the instant response that I have had in every other car I have owned.

The Mercedes tech guy said they were fine and that he would try bleeding them again, I just don't expect it to make much difference.

Is this a common issue with the coupe?, I had a W205 as a courtesy car and that felt much more what I was used to.

Thanks

Andy

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    I am not familiar specifically with the W204 C220CDI braking system, but on a general note, if the feel is too spongy, than some likley causes might be:

- Air in system (bleed system).

- Moisture in brake fluid (replace brake fluid - on your car this should have been done in 2005).

- Failed flexible brake hoses - expand under pressure (replace flexible break hoses).

- Failed seal on master cylinder - will also cause visible leak over time around the base of the servo vacuum unit.

- Mismatch of disc and pads compound resulting in less 'bite' - not an issue however is using original (matched) items.

There are other possible causes but I believe the above are the most likely ones.

Though... as you said... there may be no fault and this may actually be normal for the model... very difficult to say without actually driving the car. Take it to a trusted Indie first?

3. Yugguy

Yugguy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    I'm on my first Merc too, and the brakes do feel different. Not spongy, but more springy (best word I can find) than other brakes. I think it is because they are pre-pressurised. They certainly stop the car fine.

4. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    On first driving my W204 I thought the brakes hyper sensitive. Perhaps it was due to recently fitted new pads or me inadvertently activating the brake assist system but whatever the reason I got used to them quickly and I've even done an emergency stop in a real emergency and they were very impressive.

An old trick with soft brakes after bleeding is to us a prop to hold the pedal down hard overnight. Not sure why this works but it has for me in the past.

5. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Car brakes do feel different make to make.

I drove my daughter's Peugeot 208 recently and on first application of the brakes nearly went through the windscreen.

My brakes are very good, as they were with the previous E class...but just different to the Peugeot.

6. vijilants

vijilants Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C320CDI Sport W204
    I also find my W204 brakes super sharp.

7. Haven't a clue!

Haven't a clue! Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220 CDI (AMG body kit), plus BMW 320ci (E93), previously various company lease
    Did garage advise state of disks? Had mine checked 2 weeks ago when footbrake adjusted, front pads @ 100% and rears @ 50+, hence my subjective view is that w204 brakes as good and progressive as any of my previous cars