W204 struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dizzy

Car
Reliant Robin with a Mercedes badge.
Hi, can anyone recommend aftermarket struts/dampers for a w204 cdi elegance estate that would give a better ride than om equipment? I am more for comfort than speed so don't require uprated items just a softer ride.:D

I'm interested in improving the ride of my W204 but can't help with suggesting struts other than to comment that my gut feeling is that MB's attempt to provide adaptive damping in the stock ones isn't helping.

Have you considered the tyres contribution to ride and considered making sure your tyres have good reviews for a quiet supple ride. The ones I have on my list when the time comes are :

Continental Premium Contact 5
Michelin Primacy 3
Goodyear Efficient Grip

A little experimentation with lower tyre pressure would illustrate if tyres are a big factor.

Having recently come from a 190e with a softly sprung compliant ride a W204 has much stiffer and shorter travel springs so I have little hope it will ever ride as well. They do handle better though which is what is dictating suspension settings these days.

What size wheels do you have? Elegance standard are 16" 12 spoke but 17" were an option. About 6 months ago I changed from 16" to 17" and the ride is somewhat firmer, although we are both happy with the ride comfort. Tyres on the 17's are Goodyear Eagle f1 Asymmetrics (225/45 front 245/40 rear) and are superb, good grip and very quiet. The 16's had Contisport Contact 2's (205/55) on them, the ride was softer but the handling was a bit soft, rolled a bit in corners.

I could not get F1 asymmetrics in 16" for the rear of my 968 last year so fitted Goodyear Efficientgrip, they seem very good and comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom