W204 to S204 facelift less MPG???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

akula80

Car
W204 C220 AMG Sport Plus
Hi forum

I've been reading this forum for a while. First Merc was a 03 W203 220 then 09 W204 220 and recently changed to a S204 220 Amg Sport Plus. Love it. Such increase in luxury from my previous 220 amg.

When purchasing the salesman stated I should see a big increase in mpg over my then 09 220. Since I've got it I've been getting less on my same common journeys. Prob 10% less even when trying as I have now noticed this. Granted I am taking these figures from the trip computer but should this be the case? Should I be concerned and look into this or are there obvious factors I'm missing...bigger wheels 7 speed gear box on shorter journeys?

Any and all advice greatly received for a noob

Hard to imagine MPG should increase like for like so there must be some differences. Is the S204 heavier than the W204, does it have different overall gearing, what are the official MPG figures for an S vs a W.

Facelift 204's are generally lighter than equivalent pre-facelift models so you would think that would have helped.

Really didn't think it would be that much. I bought the new car at 50k miles the outgoing had 75k. Maybe new one tighter in comparison??

I wouldn't have thought that 100kg would make that much difference. Many years ago I had one of the original Vauxhall Cavaliers, changed it a few years later for 1 yr old model, I couldn't believe the difference in the lack of performance, I said to the salesman is the the 1.3 rather than the 1.6. It had obviously not been stretched in it's early life, and it did improve after a few months of the occasional thrash, though it never quite equalled the looseness of my original car.

THe Sport Plus has 18 inch wheels which won't help fuel consumption. I have a 205 AMG Sport loan car at the moment which gave me 46MPG coming out of Glasgow yesterday, whereas my Sport going in gave me 54; same engine and gearing and driver but bigger wheels / fatter tyres and a lot more road noise. I know it's not a scientific comparison under identical conditions, but indicative.

Interesting to see what the cars do in the other direction when the loaner goes back!

For info, vehicles with the 7 sp box have higher gearing in Top which helps motorway fuel consumption, but won't give too much benefit on short runs.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie I would be interested to hear what happens there

Last edited:
Thanks Ernie I would be interested to hear what happens there

Don't hold your breath...they've just told me that it might be a while before I see it again as they investigate a water leak into the boot!

Ernie

WEll...Got my car back today.

The 220 AMG Sport with the 18 inch alloys gave me 48.2 mpg going into Glasgow tonight as over against my own which gave me 54 last week.

Coming home, mine gave me 51.6 against the loan car which gave 46.

Weather and traffic conditions were similar, but if anything there was more water about last week when my car went in.

Still not saying that is a scientific comparison, but claimed figures for the AMG are slightly worse than the Sport, so in the right direction but not drastic.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom