W204 - upgrade to Comand NTG4 worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markaz

Car
Mercedes Benz C220 CDi Elegance (W204)
Hi all

Got my car and love it. Currently it's fitted with Audio 20 and the Aux socket in the glovebox. I'm missing decent music integration from my iPod as the volume is rubbish (see this is a common problem) and lack of control from the head unit / steering wheel. I also don't have satnav.

I'm thinking of getting the NTG4 retro fitted (expensive though) which would give me satnav (5 digit postcode though?) and the hard disc / memory card for music.

So the question is...is it worth the money, will it sound any better, what other options do I have?

Thanks

Mark.

Also interested in this, as I'm in the same boat.

I'm making do with a bluetooth audio receiver with a volume control on it, that's powered by the cig socket in the glovebox. It boosts the volume, but the sound quality isn't quite on par with a CD, like a proper bluetooth audio and high bitrate MP3 would almost match.

Worth is a very subjective concept. There are many aftermarket units offering better functionality but at the expense of integration. Some like Alpine come highly regarded.

Have a chat with the guys at Comand to discuss your options and the pros and cons.

I LOVE my built-in Comand.

I love that it folds in and out - that pleases my inner child.

I like that it can control all the different bits. I don't need a parrot and satnav stuck to the windscreen.

The satnav gets bad press and yes, 5-digit postcode can be a pain, but it gets you to the area, then you can choose a street. Worst case I find it on my phone and then just use the map scroll to pinpoint it on the Comand. The map itself is very detailed, I have not found anything yet that it doesn't have. I like it. TMC traffic updates are pretty good and show on screen and it can dynamically recalculate.

If you do get retro fit though, get a later post 2009 unit with the larger hd that can take the new update DVDs.

Also interested in this, as I'm in the same boat.

I'm making do with a bluetooth audio receiver with a volume control on it, that's powered by the cig socket in the glovebox. It boosts the volume, but the sound quality isn't quite on par with a CD, like a proper bluetooth audio and high bitrate MP3 would almost match.

Thanks. Which Bluetooth receiver are you using?

Worth is a very subjective concept. There are many aftermarket units offering better functionality but at the expense of integration. Some like Alpine come highly regarded.

Have a chat with the guys at Comand to discuss your options and the pros and cons.

Indeed - which Alpine units are you referring to?

Thanks

I LOVE my built-in Comand.

I love that it folds in and out - that pleases my inner child.

I like that it can control all the different bits. I don't need a parrot and satnav stuck to the windscreen.

The satnav gets bad press and yes, 5-digit postcode can be a pain, but it gets you to the area, then you can choose a street. Worst case I find it on my phone and then just use the map scroll to pinpoint it on the Comand. The map itself is very detailed, I have not found anything yet that it doesn't have. I like it. TMC traffic updates are pretty good and show on screen and it can dynamically recalculate.

If you do get retro fit though, get a later post 2009 unit with the larger hd that can take the new update DVDs.

Thanks mate. Was yours standard or did you have it retro fitted?

Mine is standard.

I don't stream music from my phone, although I beleive there are adapters that will allow it. I've put all my music on an sdcard, inside a pcmcia adapter which sits in the slot and works fine. You can navigate the card via the Comand scree, or via the instrument cluster. The IC will show Comand details such as telephone or direction of travel and road name.

You can copy music to the hdd but I've not botherted with that,

Mine is standard.

I don't stream music from my phone, although I beleive there are adapters that will allow it. I've put all my music on an sdcard, inside a pcmcia adapter which sits in the slot and works fine. You can navigate the card via the Comand scree, or via the instrument cluster. The IC will show Comand details such as telephone or direction of travel and road name.

You can copy music to the hdd but I've not botherted with that,

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions - can you random play songs i.e. random shuffle?

Yeah you can set either shuffle or sequence on both the memory card files and the cds in the changer.

If you do it go to command, pay the money and get it done right!

Stop away from the eBay specials it's more hassle than it's worth.

The lads at command are honest and decent and will do a good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chady better start saving, they want £1400

It will be the most up to date system though the person who did mine before I bought it used a cheap one.

And when I came to update it it got stuck in diagnostic mode! And had to have a new unit!

Luckily because the lads at command are decent. And the company who I bought it from paid up it wasn't bad in the end.

But still cost me and a load of hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comandonline.co.uk retrofitted NTG2.5 to my car back in 2010 and did an excellent job.

As for the 'is it worth it' question... obviously retrofitting COMAND is not going to be cheap, but as I was going to keep the car for the longer run (I still have it), it was well worth it.

So I think the question in part would be how long you intend to keep the car, given that COMAND will make your car more desirable come sell time, but you would not necessarily get your money back.

As said, for me, it was well worth it, I only regret not having done it earlier :)

Either way Alfie and Richard (both are forum members) are highly recommended for anything COMAND.

OK thanks guys, very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom