W204 vs F30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mykulmerc

Car
W209 CLK 270 Avantgarde
Currently driving E90 318SE manual, but now doing about 16k miles a year and would like an auto with a bit more poke.

Am thinking about F30 320D auto vs W204 C220Cdi auto.

Any opinions gratefully received!

No brainer F30 engine and auto box far superior to MB agricultural 4 pot and problematic 7 speed box.

Fuel consumption of Beemer is far superior too. If you are thinking MB diesel you need to go 6 pot

No brainer F30 engine and auto box far superior to MB agricultural 4 pot and problematic 7 speed box.

Fuel consumption of Beemer is far superior too. If you are thinking MB diesel you need to go 6 pot

Problematic 7 speed? Does that include the 7g plus? I've got that in the E250 and it seems to be pretty good.

Problematic 7 speed? Does that include the 7g plus? I've got that in the E250 and it seems to be pretty good.

7g+ is better as they ironed out some of the 7g problems as that box is a real dog but it still has shift issues and is not in the same league as the bombproof zf 8 speed in the Beemer

Just sold my facelift S204 C220 CDI Sport and was sad to see it go to be honest, the interior was leagues ahead of my E70 X5 which was at least £20k more brand new. Mine was the 7G plus and it was very smooth, the 8 speed ZF's I've driven not as perfect as some make out. As good as it was, I just don't think 4pot diesels suit automatic boxes and having driven a few motors in my time, I'm yet to be proven wrong.

When cold the engine wasn't the most refined but fine once warm, and it never once missed a beat, I had complete faith in that car and would happily drive anywhere in the country in it, the engine is bulletproof which isn't something that can be said of the BMW.

We had an F30 320d auto as a pool car at work for a few months. I drove it a few times and was comprehensively underwhelmed on every occasion. The seats were nothing to write home about, the steering was unpleasant, the engine sweet enough and the 8-speed 'box was ok but nothing special. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it's definitely over-hyped.

The W204 4-pot diesels can be a bit gruff if pushed hard, but in normal driving they're reasonably refined and the seats, ride comfort and steering are all better than the BMW (imo).

You really need to try them both to see which one you prefer.

Interesting thoughts about the 6 cylinder engines. Will look more into running costs. I hadn't read of any 7G problems, but would prob go for later 7G plus anyway. Some people seem to think the BMW/ZF 8 speed is better, but not everybody.

Head says Beemer, but think I want the MB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom