w204 vs s204 suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexGreen

Car
C350 CGI Estate
Hi Guys,

I've tried searching around but I can't find a clear answer about the differences, if there are any, between the suspension of the s204 and the w204. I'm looking at changing up my suspension but all the options are very confused so some info would be helpful.

Does the s204 have the same suspension as the w204 for an equivalent model i.e. C350?

Thanks

The S204 would definitely have a higher rear axle weight to accommodate a load .

I don’t know the answer to your question, but I would be very careful when buying MB suspension components, I.e. I would only buy these based on the part number that EPC showed for my VIN.

MB are well known for having dozens of variants... Executive/Classic, Avangarde/Sport, AMG line all have different suspensions. Then, the heavier-engined cars will have different spring rares etc.

Some suspension components will be shared across all models, but I wouldn't take a chance on it - my advice is buy only by part number.

Solid advice, thank you.

I'm aware of the spring rate situation, but didn't think about all the other varitions that could come in which I guess is why the other sites are so confused.

I was looking around for some adjustable stuff, not height just ride. So KW do a DDC retrofit kit which looks brilliant, but they do it for the w204 c63 estate only as we'll as a few saloon models in the w204 range. I've got a c350 estate, the axle loads a pretty similar to the c63, I think the spec for mine is circa 10kg's lower at the front and the rear is the same.

I guess to that end the other option I have found would make more sense. Tein do adjustable shocks specifically for the 2011+ C350 estate: -

These are also compatible with their EDFC Active Pro System, it would need a little work to get the motors on but Tein sell the parts for this as well so could be a viable option. This would then give you dynamic ride control based on speed as well as latitudal and longitudal G forces. So pootling around you can have nice comfortable suspension, as soon as you boot it or throw it into a corner everything tightens up automatically which sounds pretty cool to me :cool:

You might have guessed, I really wish the original buyer of my car ticked the active suspension option!

Hey Alex, hope you are well. Just thought I’d comment to let you know that I am now the new owner of your old C350 CGI estate :). It’s a lovely motor! If you do have a few moments spare, feel free to drop me a message. As I do have a few questions I would like to ask about the C350. Hope you have replaced the C350 with something even more powerful! Many thanks

Hey Arun,

Looks like I don't have enough posts to PM you. That was certainly quick, I only PX'd it in a couple of weeks ago!

In terms of condition of the Merc, it's had a lot of work done the last year which isn't in the documentation which you should know about:-

Low pressure fuel pump changed at circa 65k

All of the following has been done in the last 12 months

High Pressure fuel pump & pressure sensor

Intake manifold gasket

water pump

thermostat

alternator

a/c compressor

power steering pump

belt tensioner

new battery (about 20 miles before I sold it)

It's also got a little bonus too. Had a quantum tuning remap & center resonator delete on the exhaust which is why it sounds so good ;-) The quantum tuning site has the remap at either 322bhp or 330bhp depending which of the calculators you use, either way it definitely drives better for it.

I was itching to get back into a manual car with less of the assistance (read traction control) as those are the sorts of cars I've always driven. I now have another unicorn car of a JDM twinscroll Subaru Legacy Spec B in Manual. It's running 320bhp and is circa 300kg's lighter than the Merc, less refined but more fun.

Let me know if you have any questions ;-)

All the best

You don't fancy any of the Bilstein stuff .

Personally I'd stick a B12 kit on .

Everything calculated for you unless you have a professional set it up with corner weighting etc .

I know how you feel about the Legacy , I've driven one and it turns you into a hooligan doing 4 wheel drifts into junctions , heading for the kerb.... then the front wheels grip and pull you straight .

I've a 25 year old S14 on the driveway...

Tein coilovers are excellent never had the EDFC just the Superstreet with Pillowball topmounts, had them on both my P1 & Evo 9 well worth the money imo. Had KW V3 on my RS4 they were a lovely bit of kit as well.

Had a mate with those Tein SS on his S14a when we went around Combe.

My rebranded BC coilovers felt the same , Whiteline adjustable arbs etc , not so nice , a compromise of around town Vs the open road .

Now that I'm older I much prefer fixed suspension with their suppleness and consistent feel and predictablity .

I drove a Scirocco with electromagnetic dampers 'Sport' button activated and didn't like it .

Most Merc don't have it and many an eye water at their replacement cost .

I've Eibach Pro kit springs with Bilstein B4 dampers on a daily estate and couldn't be happier .

Hey Arun,

Looks like I don't have enough posts to PM you. That was certainly quick, I only PX'd it in a couple of weeks ago!

In terms of condition of the Merc, it's had a lot of work done the last year which isn't in the documentation which you should know about:-

Low pressure fuel pump changed at circa 65k

All of the following has been done in the last 12 months

High Pressure fuel pump & pressure sensor

Intake manifold gasket

water pump

thermostat

alternator

a/c compressor

power steering pump

belt tensioner

new battery (about 20 miles before I sold it)

It's also got a little bonus too. Had a quantum tuning remap & center resonator delete on the exhaust which is why it sounds so good ;-) The quantum tuning site has the remap at either 322bhp or 330bhp depending which of the calculators you use, either way it definitely drives better for it.

I was itching to get back into a manual car with less of the assistance (read traction control) as those are the sorts of cars I've always driven. I now have another unicorn car of a JDM twinscroll Subaru Legacy Spec B in Manual. It's running 320bhp and is circa 300kg's lighter than the Merc, less refined but more fun.

Let me know if you have any questions ;-)

All the best
Hey Alex, thank you for the speedy reply!
Wow.. didn’t know the merc had all this work done! You don’t have any invoices to these work do you?
The C350 only got delivered on Thursday and was driving it yesterday. I’ve had 3 C350 coupes and by far the estate drives so much better and the noise is really good! It’s a shame they do not drive or sound like this out of the factory.

Really did enjoy driving the car yesterday haha!

I bet the Subaru is a wild drive! Especially being lighter than the Mercedes! Plenty of smiles per gallon!!

Feel free in dropping me an email to [email protected], as there are a few questions I’d like to ask.

Many thanks

Hey Alex, thank you for the speedy reply!
Wow.. didn’t know the merc had all this work done! You don’t have any invoices to these work do you?
The C350 only got delivered on Thursday and was driving it yesterday. I’ve had 3 C350 coupes and by far the estate drives so much better and the noise is really good! It’s a shame they do not drive or sound like this out of the factory.

Really did enjoy driving the car yesterday haha!

I bet the Subaru is a wild drive! Especially being lighter than the Mercedes! Plenty of smiles per gallon!!

Feel free in dropping me an email to [email protected], as there are a few questions I’d like to ask.

Many thanks
Both cars are certainly fun to drive

Had a mate with those Tein SS on his S14a when we went around Combe.

My rebranded BC coilovers felt the same , Whiteline adjustable arbs etc , not so nice , a compromise of around town Vs the open road .

Now that I'm older I much prefer fixed suspension with their suppleness and consistent feel and predictablity .

I drove a Scirocco with electromagnetic dampers 'Sport' button activated and didn't like it .

Most Merc don't have it and many an eye water at their replacement cost .

I've Eibach Pro kit springs with Bilstein B4 dampers on a daily estate and couldn't be happier .
The spec B leggy comes with B4's from the factory, I think I'm going to get some STI springs for it too. They're a standard part on the tuned by sti model so it's an all OEM setup as well 😎

You don't fancy any of the Bilstein stuff .

Personally I'd stick a B12 kit on .

Everything calculated for you unless you have a professional set it up with corner weighting etc .

I know how you feel about the Legacy , I've driven one and it turns you into a hooligan doing 4 wheel drifts into junctions , heading for the kerb.... then the front wheels grip and pull you straight .

I've a 25 year old S14 on the driveway...
Nail on the head lol.

I do like the Silvia, looked a while back before I bought the s2000. I bet that thing is fun to drive!

Very nice! What power is she running? Rb20 iirc?

Yeah I can imagine. Thinking back, the s14 was the reason I wanted rwd drive. I remember seeing one shaking it's booty on the hills by me when I was in a prelude at the time. Prelude was good fun for FWD

Liked them , had a 2.3 to drive for a few weeks .

Stock SR20DET , Stage 1a Horsham Developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom