W204 vs W205 C63 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
Currently have a C63 facelift saloon with quaife diff, remap and secondary cat delete - owned it for 3 years.. I’ve received a deposit on the car and as much as I don’t want to sell the car I think it’s time to move on to another car.. I was considering a G63 but with my budget would have to be an early one - so it’s a no go. Looked at the new E63 S but prices are still strong so that will have to wait for the time being.. that brings me to the C63 S coupe. I love the look of them but having never driven one, what car people tell me who have owned both? What options are must haves and also what are they like in terms of mpg compared to the old M156? How is ride comfort and do they come with switchable dampers as stock?

Any other alternatives people could recommend that don’t have to be AMG? Other options were,

Macan turbo
M3/M4
S63 coupe
X5 M50d
Cayman/Boxster GTS
RS3 or RS6

Test drove the X5 M50d lovely especially if you get it in the right spec BUT it's not in the same league as say the S63 coupe, RS6 etc

Any other alternatives people could recommend that don’t have to be AMG? Other options were,

Macan turbo
M3/M4
S63 coupe
X5 M50d
Cayman/Boxster GTS
RS3 or RS6

I can only comment on the M4. The Comp Pack sports seats have no lumbar support and gave my partner and myself back ache after less than 3/4 hour driving. LOTS of tyre noise on 20s , and the biggest problem/disappointment is the engine sound/exhaust note, its woeful. After a w205 C63 you will be disappointed on that aspect even if you love everything else. In some ways I was fortunate I'd tried several other cars before the C63 which made the decision to buy one very easy.

PS The Audi 5 pot and S Tronic is a great drive train, absolutely mental in Dynamic mode, make sure you test one with the Sports Exhaust and Dynamic ride in the RS 3 I only tried the MK 3 TTRS.

What options are must haves and also what are they like in terms of mpg compared to the old M156? How is ride comfort and do they come with switchable dampers as stock?

I haven't owned either car so totally suited to comment on this, per internet rules :D

The later car will be much better on fuel, for starters. They come with Airmatic/VDC I believe, however I test drove a W205 C63 car on 19s and it was absolutely horrific (my current daily is a BMW E90 SE on 17s, that said), even in comfort mode. Unless the road was perfectly surfaced you feel all the bumps. I drove down a section of broken road and the whole car was shuddering. I've previously owned a W212 E63 on 19s and that was firm but comfy at the same time, and I had no issues at all with the ride quality in that car. W212 AMG is a bit softer than the W204 AMG from what I recall, but I've only had a single quick drive in a W204.

Mate of mine used to work for MB and tells me that it rides a lot better on 18s. In terms of options I'd personally want the Burrmeister stereo but that's about it.

On the subject of E63 W213, they are very steep but I've seen one pop up on Autotrader today with delivery miles for £67k, at an MB dealer. I think that's the cheapest one I've seen yet. It's Hyacinth with smaller wheels.

Any other alternatives people could recommend that don’t have to be AMG?

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-QV-2017-black-sedan-%282%29.jpg

That's one seriously confused potential list with everything from a diesel SUV to a proper sports car. :confused:

What do you use it for and what do you like in a car?

- Sound
- Practicality
- Comfort
- Refinement
- Cost
- ...?

So after a lot of thinking, I’ve decided I’ll be going back to a C63. This time a W205 C63 S coupe..

Can anyone give me an idea of what It’s like to own, who’s moved on from prev gen C63?

Have a go in one of these, they are EPIC!
I had the luck of going on an Alfa Dynamic experiance day around Millbrook and the Giulia Quadrifoglio is a serious contender. Don’t throw away the idea just because it’s an Alfa!

I'm with Pondman on this one....... This is the only four door saloon that compares (to be honest and as much as I hate to admit it) and is better than a C63.

Sounds the part, looks the part, and does the business.

The Alfa is nice but heard some bad reviews in regards to reliability - especially electrical faults?

The Alfa is nice but heard some bad reviews in regards to reliability - especially electrical faults?

That stems from back in the 70’s doesn’t it?[emoji33] makes you wonder how ‘electronic’ technology and production techniques on cars has advanced so much in the past 20 years that how new cars can be troubled with such issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they ever make an estate, I can see myself in a Giulia in a few years time. Well, maybe 10.

Currently have a C63 facelift saloon with quaife diff, remap and secondary cat delete - owned it for 3 years.. I’ve received a deposit on the car and as much as I don’t want to sell the car I think it’s time to move on to another car.. I was considering a G63 but with my budget would have to be an early one - so it’s a no go. Looked at the new E63 S but prices are still strong so that will have to wait for the time being.. that brings me to the C63 S coupe. I love the look of them but having never driven one, what car people tell me who have owned both? What options are must haves and also what are they like in terms of mpg compared to the old M156? How is ride comfort and do they come with switchable dampers as stock?

Im in a similar situation. I’m just about to order my first C63 Cabriolet and I’m torn on the spec. The 19”/20” Black wheels look better than the 19” 5 spoke. I was a little worried about 20” tyre prices but on blackcircles the 20” are cheaper. Some cracking discounts available on a new car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom