W204 winter tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martini

Car
C250Cdi 4 Motion Estate
For the last 8 years I change to 17” winter wheels & tyres. In place of the 18” staggered summer wheels and tyres. Winter tyres have been Dunlop and Pirelli always MO. Summer tyres always Continental again MO
During this time November to March the road handling is always predictable.
The cost has been more than made up for by the very long life of the Winter tyres. Although
They are supposed to be less effective below 4mm tread depth.
It also saves the salt corrosion on the diamond turned summer wheels.
I first purchased them after being unable to get out of my drive without clearing it.

It does also have the added benefit of meaning snow has been fairly infrequent in Essex!
The winter tyres have a Maximum speed rating of 130mph (so don’t forget to set your winter tyres speed limiter)

I have a set of WinterContacts on 16” wheels for mine, had them 3-4 winters now still loads of life left. Loads of grip in cold and wet conditions. Not had that much snow to test them out on though.

I had a set of 16" winter wheels for my S204 (17" staggereds for summer) but hadn't fitted them for about 5 years so sold them recently. Instead I now have Michelin Cross Climates on the fronts and now know that the 245/40 r17 Cross Climates can apparently be sourced direct from Michelin France, although UK Michelin suppliers do not show them as available. I'm actually waiting for a price for a full set of 4 17's (same staggered set-up as the S204) for my SLK!

Like Essex, snow has been rare here in East Kent!

We ordered the company van with cross climate tyres think it was a £150 option. It has done 10k so far no snow.
However it feels very good when wet and slippery. They're Goodyear and seem to be lasting well:
They don't appear to make them for the 18" staggered AMG wheels.
The winter wheels are 17" 225 tyres all round. I believe to allow the use of snow chains. And thinner tyres are better in the snow.

I run Michelin CrossClimates year round on both my W204 and Insignia -they are superb tyres, especially in the wet and on ice and snow. I would not now consider any other tyre.

Out of interest what size tyres are they on your W204? I do feel the ride is better with the 17”winter tyres than the summer 18”Continental 5 MO staggered set.

My 17's are staggered so I have 225/45 front and 245/40 rear. Tried UK sites for Michelin Cross Climates for the rears, not shown! However, recently contacted a local garage that are Michelin agents, he looked on the Michelin France page (always buys direct from France so he gets brand new tyres) and tells me he can get them. I have the same sizes on my SLK and am waiting for a price for all 4 from him.

Out of interest what size tyres are they on your W204? I do feel the ride is better with the 17”winter tyres than the summer 18”Continental 5 MO staggered set.

My W204 has 17inch wheels with 225/45 tyres all round

For the last 8 years I change to 17” winter wheels & tyres. In place of the 18” staggered summer wheels and tyres. Winter tyres have been Dunlop and Pirelli always MO. Summer tyres always Continental again MO
Why always MO tyres?
I've never found them any better than "lesser" tyres. In fact, I've had Falkens that were far superior to MO Michelins.

Why always MO tyres?
I've never found them any better than "lesser" tyres. In fact, I've had Falkens that were far superior to MO Michelins.
I use tyres homologated for use by Audi on both of our MLs, they last much, much longer than those homologated for Mercedes.

I’m currently toying with Lamborghini-homologated tyres for another Mercedes as they’re much lower priced than Mercedes-homologated. We’ll see.

I use tyres homologated for use by Audi on both of our MLs, they last much, much longer than those homologated for Mercedes.

I’m currently toying with Lamborghini-homologated tyres for another Mercedes as they’re much lower priced than Mercedes-homologated. We’ll see.

Must admit, I've BMW Goodyear Runflats on mine 'cause they were £30 a tyre cheaper than MO ones.

Still waiting for prices for the 17" Cross Climates, the bad weather knocked out his power for 2 days, spoke to him today and delivery will be 2-3 weeks so although it will mean newly manufactured tyres I'm thinking they'll be expensive (225/45 R17 CC's are over £100 from traditional suppliers, no manufacturing date quoted) whereas Goodyears (EfficientGrip Performance or Eagles) can be had for £70 or less) so I'm still investigating 16's and thinking get cheaper tyres on the 17's (chances of taking the SLK out if snow around are low) in case 17's don't sort the ride quality and I end up getting 16's and selling the 17's with effectivly brand new tyres on them.

MO approved winter tyres are often two generations behind the latest models. I think they might still be recommending some ancient Bridgestone Blizak. Just get the best tyre you can afford and ignore the MO label.

MO approved winter tyres are often two generations behind the latest models. I think they might still be recommending some ancient Bridgestone Blizak. Just get the best tyre you can afford and ignore the MO label.

Thanks for your input. Must admit I have stayed with the Continental Conti 5 MO only because being staggered I always need either fronts or rears. Wanting to keep all the same brand. However this time they all need replacing.
I have never really felt happy with the continental tyres. The rears always wear the inner side of the tread.
The fronts it's the outer sides that wear prematurely.
On previous c classes I used Michelin Premicy tyres which I liked. (Not MO)
Anyone recommend premium summer tyres for staggered 18" not too soft?

Anyone recommend premium summer tyres for staggered 18" not too soft?

I'm using Goodyear Asymmetric 5 for summer and Continental TS860 for winter.
Very pleased with both. Haven't had the Goodyears for long, but they are lovely and quiet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom