W204 winter wheel & tyre set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikrt

Car
2013 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY AMG Sport Plus 7G-Tronic Plus 4dr
Had my W204 C220 CDi for 10 months now and really liking it. I drive my battered Volvo to work and my mrs drives the Merc to work.

Being lowish profiled rwd I don't expect it to be good in snow, and a lot of roads here in West Wales aren't gritted, so I'm seriously considering buying a set of steel wheels and winter tyres to put on from the end of this month to maybe end of february.

Any reccomendations as to what size/profile I should be aiming for, I think narrower should be better grip.

And, do I need to inform my insurer?

Thanks in advance.

Your handbook will show winter tyre sizes, or MB dealer, keep to those sizes and no need to inform insurers.

Ah I didn't know that, thanks.

I'll check when home after the weekend.

225 40 18. Or drop to 17 "

My owner's manual was rubbish when it came to tyre and wheel combos, no information, just a note to say to contact a main dealer. I ended up contacting MB UK and they emailed the exact wheel and tyre combos for winter tyres. They also confirmed they could be used with 12mm snow chains. Might be worth emailing or phoning them.

Snow chains lol. Most of the uk roads are gritted/salt. This whole snow tyre topic i think involves getting out of the street tbh.

Snow chains lol. Most of the uk roads are gritted/salt. This whole snow tyre topic i think involves getting out of the street tbh.
I was asking about snow chains as I will be driving down to the French Alps this winter where you must carry snow chains or snow socks by law. Last time it snowed in this country I "worked at home" and built a snowman in the garden with the kids.

Well thanks for the replies, looking in the handbook has given me a few choices to go from, 17" & 18", so looking online now,

Cheers all.

Well thanks for the replies, looking in the handbook has given me a few choices to go from, 17" & 18", so looking online now,

Cheers all.
I have a set of genuine Mercedes 17 inch alloys with 225/45 Dunlop Sport MO winter tyres and 6mm approx remaining. They are from my previous S204. I can provide more details if you are interested.

I have the staggered wheel set up, and run a summer set and winter set of tyres. As has already been stated, the recommended winter size is 225/40/18 all round, rather than 255/35/18 on the rears that the summer set up uses.

I opted for Michelin Alpin PA4 winter tyres, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. Even getting out of my driveway in winter can be a challenge, but the Alpins allow me to drive through 4"-5" deep snow like it isn't there.

The following photo shows the amount of snow that the Alpins can handle with no issue whatsoever.

Car in snow.jpg

It was only an 18" deep snow drift further up my drive that prevented me from continuing my journey.

Snowy track.jpg

I hope this information helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom