W204 Xenon+ILS change for Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billbill

Car
c350 cdi
Hi,

I have a pre-facelift W204 with Xenons and Intelligent Light System and was wondering how I change the lights for driving in Europe. There seems to be conflicting information out there.

Some seem to suggest being able to do it in the car, but all I can do is turn the ILS off/on. Maybe it's only facelift models that can do it. There is also talk of switches. Change one side or both?

Please help,

Thanks, Bill

Is there definitely no option in the cluster menu for Lighting to select "Left side traffic" or "Right side traffic"?

No, definitely no other option other than to switch ILS off and on. No other options then appears once ILS is turned off.

???

I've also been looking into this. I have a 2010 10 plate C63. Apparently you need to take the dipped headlight bulbs out and slide a leaver in the headlight to change the direction of the beam.

Still debating weather to do it or not. I'm going away the weekend to France and just weighting up how much night driving I'm actually gonna be doing.

Apparently you need to take the dipped headlight bulbs out and slide a leaver in the headlight to change the direction of the beam.
OK, if it's the same as the standard (i.e. non-ILS) headlamps, you don't remove the bulb just the rear cover. To one side of the bulb holder you will find a plain metal lever. Move it to the opposite end of its travel to mask the asymmetric dip pattern for use on the continent and then replace the rear cover. You need to do each lamp separately.

OK, if it's the same as the standard (i.e. non-ILS) headlamps, you don't remove the bulb just the rear cover. To one side of the bulb holder you will find a plain metal lever. Move it to the opposite end of its travel to mask the asymmetric dip pattern for use on the continent and then replace the rear cover. You need to do each lamp separately.

This is pretty much it - a small metal spring loaded lever that always returns to the central position. I only ever changed the passenger side one.

I used to have the headlights on against a wall and flick the switch while wearing rubber gloves so I didn't get zapped in order to see the change in the beam pattern.

S

Thanks chaps, will give it a go. Assume you can only get a belt from the lights if they are on?

I can't see why anything would be live in there as long as the ignition & lights are off. But you'll be able to confirm that soon :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom