W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wait till you need a B Service, then you'll laugh, but only until you realise they are serious, then comes the tears.

My son bought a new Seat Leon and the Seat dealer has serviced it 3 times now, all 3 services for a total of only £300. I don't know how Mercedes have got away with it for so long.

Russ

Russ,

Looking at the bill, the biggest expence was the oil. Quantity 16 (does not say what but assume they mean pints) at £6.96 each = £111.36. Must check what price Mobile 1 is retail for comparison.

Russ,

Looking at the bill, the biggest expence was the oil. Quantity 16 (does not say what but assume they mean pints) at £6.96 each = £111.36. Must check what price Mobile 1 is retail for comparison.

Mobil 1 in Costco is £23 for 4 litres.
I supplied my own for a B service & it still came to £468.
I think MB class a unit as half a litre? That would be nearly £14 a litre?

Russ

Have you had any car that fell apart after 10months?

No, can't say I have, but the Mercedes is the first car that has required 4 seperate warranty claims, and not for minor repairs either.

Russ

Wait till you need a B Service, then you'll laugh, but only until you realise they are serious, then comes the tears.

My son bought a new Seat Leon and the Seat dealer has serviced it 3 times now, all 3 services for a total of only £300. I don't know how Mercedes have got away with it for so long.

Russ

SEAT (all VAG) don't really do anything other than change the oil until 4yrs/40K miles.

Nevertheless, that's still astonishingly cheap for any franchised dealer - as well as my Merc, we have SEAT Ibiza, Honda Jazz and Mitsubishi Colt. They're all around £150 for the basic oil change service (Honda and Mitsubishi wanted nearer £200, but dropped the price when I started crying :) ).

I think MB class a unit as half a litre? That would be nearly £14 a litre?
My dealer charges £13.99/L. That's plus VAT, of course, so £16.44/L inc VAT.

ServicePlus paid the last bill. The first time I paid and I had a discussion about oil - wanted to make sure they used MB229.5 - and they suggested I brought my own.

Bit of a pain, but astonishing that they'll throw away so much profit. They didn't even tack on an oil disposal charge!

SEAT (all VAG) don't really do anything other than change the oil until 4yrs/40K miles.

At 20,000 miles for my B service, I don't think MB did much more than an oil change either, other than replace the brake fluid & filters. They do know how to charge though.

Russ

At 20,000 miles for my B service, I don't think MB did much more than an oil change either, other than replace the brake fluid & filters. They do know how to charge though.

Russ

Actually, you're right. Had this discussion with hawk20 recently - pretty well the only tangible difference between an A and a B service is the pollen filter is changed. The rest of it is checks. Other work may be required depending on mileage and age, but that's all additional.

On the SEAT, it should have had pollen filter and brake fluid at 2 yrs too.

Russ

All dealer services, for other brands too, know how to charge but one should still take into account that even the simple A service includes things like reading the fault codes with SDS. Since the equipment are expensive, they add on the bill even if you don't get anything "visible" like new oil.

Oldcro - why did you choose the Elegance over the Sport?

I have driven a W204 220cdi sport and a W204 320cdi elegance .. I have to admit i prefer the look of the sport --- but wouldn't buy one.. I found the ride far too uncomfortable and after an hour was pleased to let the dealer have it back --- I prefer the ride of my W203 with sports pack.....now the elegance was a quick spin but felt much like my car and I must admit I would, like you, go for that one..

Just think of the cost of your B service + pads + discs + aft fluid @50k miles + air filters and fuel filters....now that will make you cry...:eek:

I have driven a W204 220cdi sport and a W204 320cdi elegance .. I have to admit i prefer the look of the sport --- but wouldn't buy one.. I found the ride far too uncomfortable and after an hour was pleased to let the dealer have it back --- I prefer the ride of my W203 with sports pack.....now the elegance was a quick spin but felt much like my car and I must admit I would, like you, go for that one..

Are the UK W204 options different from those at the continent, we have the Avantgarde option with the sporty grill but this would have the same suspension as Elegance and even Classic (different tyres/wheels depending on the engine). Then there is the AMG sport package which has pretty different suspension setup.

Are the UK W204 options different from those at the continent, we have the Avantgarde option with the sporty grill but this would have the same suspension as Elegance and even Classic (different tyres/wheels depending on the engine). Then there is the AMG sport package which has pretty different suspension setup.

The W204 avantgarde isnt available in the uk. Only Classic , elegance and Sport.

There are however some rogue Avantgardes kicking about in the UK after they were mistakenly delivered in the winter of 2007. One to look out for :)

So he can see the star :D

The Elegance has other pluses, no black headlining. I had this in my last X5, others thought it was ace, I thought it was oppressive.

The Black cloth headlining is available as a designo option for around £300 , personally i love it. Much better than grey/ beige

The Black cloth headlining is available as a designo option for around £300 , personally i love it. Much better than grey/ beige

Agree to disagree, I honestly thought I would when I saw the photo's of the car on the web. About4hrs after collected it I wanted the beige headlining back in the X5.

I have this in my 204, standard, and yes agreed on that it's much better than grey/beige, although I do have beige seats....;)

M.

I have this in my 204, standard, and yes agreed on that it's much better than grey/beige, although I do have beige seats....;)

M.

It looks best with beige seats :) ive had a black headlining in all my bmw's and im just used to it now. Best of both worlds is the Panoramic sunroof in my 5 Touring. Can be black or light at the touch of a button :)

Your W204 is amazing tho :) :rock:

It looks best with beige seats :) ive had a black headlining in all my bmw's and im just used to it now. Best of both worlds is the Panoramic sunroof in my 5 Touring. Can be black or light at the touch of a button :)

Your W204 is amazing tho :) :rock:

You mean like this

DSC02038Large.jpg

I found the pano roof did enhance the lighting of the car and made night time driving with the moon light pouring in wonderful. But it did reduce the rigidity of the car, and it wasn't as nearly as good to drive as its predecesor, an SE model with a smaller sun roof.

Oldcro - why did you choose the Elegance over the Sport?

Just think of the cost of your B service + pads + discs + aft fluid @50k miles + air filters and fuel filters....now that will make you cry...:eek:

I chose the Elegance because I wanted comfort over cornering speed and I preferred the look with the gunsight star.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom