W205 18" wheel - replacement cost / repair damage to wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elan362

Car
C250d AMG line Premium Plus Estate S205 2016
A recovery truck (nothing to do with me) scraped my car wheel today outside my house as he was reversing into a lane - the front of the truck is actually more damaged than the car!

there is a small scrape on the front wheel arch and the 18" alloy is scratched / chipped -
the scratch is minor and will probably polish out - the wheel is marked - can it be refurbed or is it a new wheel job?
any recommendations for refurb in Glasgow area? I have a good bodyshop in Greenock I use for the polish.
any ideas of cost to refurb / replace?
the driver is happy to settle / pay cash - im ok with that
thanks
GIMG_0023.jpg

I'd like a second opinion on that , it looks like a classic bit of kerb rash to me . I could be wrong though .

I've had another look and don't need a second opinion , definitely kerb rash.

It was the lower part of the truck bumper and indicator that raked across the face of the wheel, removing the truck indicator. It was not marked before C048A001-2668-4FBF-8432-630AFEAF5DEA.jpeg

Just reflections on the door
There is a small ding in the wheel arch in the scuff area, but very minor and will likely pop out at the bodyshop.
As I said, it's not kerb rash. The driver couldn't believe how lightly my car got off... Given the noise it made.
I'm not trying to stiff the fella. He is looking to restore without reverting to insurance. It is minor damage, so happy to deal with that
He was reversing and misjudged the front of his truck and my car as he swung. These things happen.

The lorry has damaged the wheel , no doubt about that , the marks are all nice & white and recent , the rim damage is much deeper and full of brake dust , sorry not convinced.

Quite a height difference between the wheel and wheel arch damage - large truck?

So back to the original Question please, repairable? Cost to replace? Cost to repair? Recommendations for repair firm?

Quite a height difference between the wheel and wheel arch damage - large truck?
See photo of truck with damaged low bumper. Flatbed tow truck the lower indicator on the truck protruded from the bumper and hit wheel before body /wheel arches collided

Cost new circa £700.00 , easily refurbable circa £100.00 ,
Excellent. Thanks... That's really useful to know. I'll look to find a wheel refurb place in Glasgow. I'm not looking to shaft the fella.

I get the wheel alignment checked while you’re at it.

It will need to be refurbed, not just ‘polished out’.
The scratch will have gone through the lacquer on the diamond cut surface, which will deteriorate as moisture gets under, mixed with road salts and starts wheel corroding.
I reckon £70-100.
Wheelarch - about £400, as it’s metallic they’ll have to blend the panel.

About £130 inc. per wheel for diamond cut finish like those, I have just had a set done. A new wheel is £450 plus vat for the front.

As its your front steering wheel/axle, I would treat it a bit more seriously, otherwise you might find the outside shoulder of your nice new Cross climates doesn't last the winter, and you will be down the cost of a tyre and a geometry inspection/repair. My wife rubbed the kerb in our S205 at parking speed, and within the 3000 miles the tyre was feathering on the edge.

IMG_7017.jpeg

I've got a quote for a refurb of £100. So that is fine.
The wheel arch... It's barely visible and not through the colour so I think a good body shop Polish will deal with it. The dink is tiny, so optimistic it might pop out with a tap, pull or heat.Polish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom