W205 2016 Dash cam, can i plug into hdmi slot on arm rest box THANKS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc estate

MB Enthusiast
Car
C Class w205 220d AMG Premium line 2016
W205 2016 AMG Premium line Ring Dash cam, can i plug the wire into hdmi slot on arm rest box, i have just bought the car and the cigrette lighter socket with the charger in wont close because of charger hitting on compartment lid/door. can i plug it into one of the hdmi slots in the armrest box if i got a wire with that connection?? i don't want to blow anything and it would keep the wire out of sight? Thanks

As far as I am aware that port in the centre armrest is USB, not HDMI?

Are you looking for a 5V USB power point to feed the Ring dashcam?

Hi, Just scanning through the booklet it says plug into 12/24 volt accessory socket.
Under specification it says,
Power requirements 5v/400mA,
Car power adaptor input 12/24V DC, Output:5V DC
I have no clue what any of this means, the car has 2 HDMI slots in the armrest box i was hoping i could just plug into ther, but i dont want to cause any problems as i have just bought it and its my pride and joy, Thanks for your help.

Why would you have 2 HDMI slots?

YOUR RIGHT, Aghh i'm useless, sorry about that. They are USB's. I bought a cable a 22AWG USB type A male to Mini B high speed 480 Mbps Fast charger cable, it is a bit thick 4mm but i am not sure if i should plug it in there or if there is something else i should use or i cannot use them USB's. Or is there something nearer ? there is nothing in the glove box? Thanks for you patients with me.

I use a OBD 2 power lead with a switch built in for permanent or ignition power.

As far as I am aware that port in the centre armrest is USB, not HDMI?

Are you looking for a 5V USB power point to feed the Ring dashcam?
HI Mark i think thats what i want a usb, i called them the wrong name sorry, theres two in the armrest i don't know if i can use them, i don't want to do any damage to anything, i cannot find one elsewhere in glovebox etc, any help would be great, i have put the spec it says in the booklet on another message reply, thanks

Hi...I have an S205 and front and rear dash camera's both run from the rear socket in the boot....bought a long extension and a double socket splitter...run the cable to the front on under the edge trim...up the inside of the screen pillar...tucked under the headlining...the only bit you can see is about 5cm where it drops down to the camera near the light panel on the passenger side...

I dont have a power socket in the boot or the rear seats of the car Damm, you had me running to the car with a smile on my face as well, now back sad again, but thanks what a great idea that would have been.

I appreciate your help just sold my old car with them in the back and boot, but not this one.

Sounds like you need to take to a decent car audio shop and have a switched feed installed

You won't do any harm using the USB connections in the armrest. Worse case is that they don't give enough power to the dashcam.

I hate the thought of loose cables running everywhere across the screen so, have you considered running in a hardwire kit from an ignition fed supply in the fuse box ? just fit & tuck the cables under the A pillar trim.
Look at this link

I hate the thought of loose cables running everywhere across the screen so, have you considered running in a hardwire kit from an ignition fed supply in the fuse box ? just fit & tuck the cables under the A pillar trim.
Look at this link
Hi Dave, i did see that on ebay, If i was to get one of them do you know what fuze i should plug it into, Cigarette lighter fuze or ?? i haven't a clue. i know there is a fuze box behind a flap in the nearside footwell on this W205 ? I was hoping for the easy way out with the USB port.

You won't do any harm using the USB connections in the armrest. Worse case is that they don't give enough power to the dashcam.
Maybe i should give it a try seeing as i have bought the cable, if you are sure it will not harm anything, ? Thanks

As above.

5V USB ports come with various power output options, typically 1A, 2.1A, or 3.1A. I don't know what is the rating for your car though.

If this is not enough to power the dashcam, then it won't work (or work poorly).

If the USB power cord was supplied with the camera, then I am assuming that the power available via the USB port should suffice.

But if you purchased a generic cable, than you should check the power requirements specifications to see what power the dashcam needs.

And, as others said, a permanent 12V feed with the wires tucked-away is your best bet. Also, the USB port is switched off when the ignition is turned off.

This is what it says in dash cam book
In the merc hand book it just says.
USB devices e.g. USB stick, MP3 player.
2 USB ports
It dosent give volts or amps. I thought having a positive feed would drain the battery, Thanks for your help.
The cable i bought says 22AWG 480Mbps fast data charger cable.

5v/400mA should be fine for USB port.

That said, a neater set-up with the wires tucked-away and permanent feed (as opposed to ignition-on only) would be the better solution...

This is what it says in dash cam book
In the merc hand book it just says.
USB devices e.g. USB stick, MP3 player.
2 USB ports
It dosent give volts or amps. I thought having a positive feed would drain the battery, Thanks for your help.
The cable i bought says 22AWG 480Mbps fast data charger cable.
For those requirements then the USB's should work. Plug it in and let us know how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom