w205 2016 parking brake setting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc estate

MB Enthusiast
Car
C Class w205 220d AMG Premium line 2016
Ok Gang so bought the car in August, w205 auto 2016 amg premium line i have only done about 300 miles because of lockdown, so i sit in it play driving (no not really to busy polishing it over and over, i'm sure i'm buying too many microfiber cloths and polishes, its the best thing ever to happen to chemical guys me buying this black car). The Handbrake, SO whats the score with the handbrake. When you drive and press the button on the gearstick stork, putting it in P is that the handbrake engaging? I was told when i bought it although its in park position on the dash, its in diff lock and the handbrake is not applied, you should always use the switch/lever by your knee. Is that right? Well if nothing else it give you something to read, stay safe gang.

Ok Gang so bought the car in August, w205 auto 2016 amg premium line i have only done about 300 miles because of lockdown, so i sit in it play driving (no not really to busy polishing it over and over, i'm sure i'm buying too many microfiber cloths and polishes, its the best thing ever to happen to chemical guys me buying this black car). The Handbrake, SO whats the score with the handbrake. When you drive and press the button on the gearstick stork, putting it in P is that the handbrake engaging? I was told when i bought it although its in park position on the dash, its in diff lock and the handbrake is not applied, you should always use the switch/lever by your knee. Is that right? Well if nothing else it give you something to read, stay safe gang.
Having pulled up and put the transmission in ‘P’ with the engine running, only the locking pawl in the gearbox is engaged. If the engine is then switched off, the parking brake is applied automatically (you should be able to hear the motor/mechanism make a little whine).

Hi no need to apply parking brake yourself or even press P. Just press the button to turn off the engine undo your belt and climb out. The car goes into P with the belt undone and parking brake goes on as you open the door. To set off start the engine select D or R and move away, parking brake goes off automatically. At junctions when you are at a complete stop just squeeze the foot brake a little more and Hold shows on the dash as the parking brake comes on and you can take your foot off the brake pedal. Setting off just press on the accelerator. Is start stop is operating, shown by green symbol on dash, engine will cut out when stopped and fire up when you pull away.
Many comments about stop start on the forum for many a “marmite” feature but personally I am happy with it. The going into park of seatbelt removed and door open is very useful unless for some reason you want to reverse with the door slightly open. You may wish to do this when parking by the side of rough roads to avoid scuffing your alloys. It will not let you do this for safety reasons.

Yea i thought that must be it as it seems like you do it twice if you push the button after you switch it off. so as a follow up question, taking the parking brake off. Foot on brake put into gear is that automatically knocking the parking brake off OR do you pull the switch by your knee to realise it fully ? thanks, i know if you have the brake on hold and touch the accelerator it knocks it off and away you go. it will be nice when i can drive it rather than dream about it. But i must say when i do drive it its a dream to drive and one day i will know how to use all the gadgets, Ha Ha

In 5 years of ownership I have only touched the Parkin brake switch a handful of times. Could not even tell you if you pull or push to apply.
if I park up to drop my passenger out and sit and wait for them I turn off the engine then open my door a little way then close it. Just shows that I am too lazy to lean slightly forward to touch the switch.

Ha you beat me to it while i was typing, Brilliant thanks. That what you said about reversing Ha the second time i drove it and took it around a bend in a car park with kerbs and narrow and i got round a tight bend with the end blocked, AGHHH going back i don't want to clip the kerb with the lovely wheels looking round with the rear windows blacked, i was not used to that last car was an e class estate, so i now open the door to check drivers side rear wheel while i'm going back, Jesus i am glad no one was watching or was they. Ha Ha 2 mph i'm not knocking this. Stop start well i've read all the threads, mine was working when i test drove it and the next two days, since then always yellow sign, i put this down to two things i think, Not using it enough, also i put a dash cam plug in the cigarette lighter so i think that drains it (the battery) and the last thing always having the air con or heating on. What do you think? i don't really want it working anyway so would turn it off, but i am mad for having things exactly right. Long winded beat that. GeeJay is quick with words you want to see him with the girls, ha ha.

My electric handbrake definitely does NOT automatically apply when I switch the engine off and open the door, it only operates if I specifically switch it on so not all cars operate as above!

I have just been watching a official mercedes youtube video and it says the parking brake (on gear lever which is automatic) is different to the handbrake ( by your knee) you should use the both of them. I will have to check what comes up on the clocks. The P in the clocks is parking brake and the one with the brake shoes is the handbrake. so i will check it out to see what comes up. i remember when life was simple.

Latest update YES thanks GeeJay and Farmer boy mine is the same as yours, simples. Just a 50 mile drive today, what a lovely car to drive, i'm just so happy with this car, thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom