W205 2016MY C220d Brake Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Logic700

Car
C220d W205 2015
Has anybody else had issues with the new C220d when braking at 45mph plus ?
The car judders as if it has excessive run out on the discs but this has been checked and they are within tolerance. Car has been back to the MB dealer twice but they have no idea what is causing the judder it has now done 5500 miles and started at about 4500 miles. This is my second one of these as I rejected the first one at 5000 miles as the list of problems was getting longer by the day. This also had the same issue when braking. The steering wheel does not shake it feels like it could be gearbox as the whole car feels it is vibrating.

Logic700 said:
Has anybody else had issues with the new C220d when braking at 45mph plus ? The car judders as if it has excessive run out on the discs but this has been checked and they are within tolerance. Car has been back to the MB dealer twice but they have no idea what is causing the judder it has now done 5500 miles and started at about 4500 miles. This is my second one of these as I rejected the first one at 5000 miles as the list of problems was getting longer by the day. This also had the same issue when braking. The steering wheel does not shake it feels like it could be gearbox as the whole car feels it is vibrating.

My GLC is doing something similar. For me if feels like the ABS is snatching the discs, at lower speeds say 30mph to stop it can make the car feel like it's rocking back an forth.

I've done a few emergency stops to see if it helps..... No.

I've also told the dealer who checked it over and was happy that all was with limits.

W205 2016 AMG Line Estate Brake Judder

I have a similar issue, brake judder particularly during high speed braking, my very friendly dealer confirmed this is a known issue on the 2016 205. Apart toy the brake disks are manufactured to two parts, which seems odd.

My dealer has three W205's in with the same issues, with replacement disks on back order.

I had a similar issue that appeared at approximately the same milage. To me it felt like a warped disk. I did not have the opportunity to put it back to the dealers and so just put up with it. Fast forward 10,000 miles and the issue has gone completely. That rules out the warped disk theory but I have no idea what was causing it.

W205 brake judder

just driven to Spain in my c250 prem plus saloon cant fault the drive down really good on fuel but the brakes have really deteriorated on the run from Millau viaduct to final destination judder ain't the word the whole car is shaking and rumbling whenever the breaks are applied going to telephone my dealer asap to get it looked at,Car is 65 plate with 13000 miles but I had it as a Mercedes used car with full warranty 2000 miles ago hope warranty covers brakes?? [along with my 2 door handle lights not working] but still a cracking car

Has anybody else had issues with the new C220d when braking at 45mph plus ?
The car judders as if it has excessive run out on the discs but this has been checked and they are within tolerance. Car has been back to the MB dealer twice but they have no idea what is causing the judder it has now done 5500 miles and started at about 4500 miles. This is my second one of these as I rejected the first one at 5000 miles as the list of problems was getting longer by the day. This also had the same issue when braking. The steering wheel does not shake it feels like it could be gearbox as the whole car feels it is vibrating.
Hi I have a 2016 C300 coupe with 6k miles, and it's in MB Stratford upon Avon for the same issue since last Friday! I've been getting steering wheel shake during braking at speeds from 45/50mph, getting worse over 70mph. The dealer rep is waiting for a response from MB direct, but won't divulge what the issue is! I think it could be a more prevalent issue than just a few cars.

Last edited:
Hi I have a 2016 C300 coupe with 6k miles, and it's in MB Stratford upon Avon for the same issue since last Friday! I've been getting steering wheel shake during braking at speeds from 45/50mph, getting worse over 70mph. The dealer rep is waiting for a response from MB direct, but won't divulge what the issue is! I think it could be a more prevalent issue than just a few cars.
I don't know if this helps, I have a W205 250 Cdi AMG Line, its now 9 months old with 12 thousand miles on the clock. I have had the same break judder, which has occurs after every 2k to 3k, the dealer have been great, that have replaced all the discs and pads 5 time, the wheels once under instruction from Germany.

In my view the issue is related to the distronic system. The good news from my point of view is that Mercedes have agreed to replace the vehical.

I only have groaning brakes with gentle feathered braking when coming to a stop gently e.g. in traffic, so the opposite of your high speed braking experiences.

Nothing from mine I'm afraid.

Sorry can't shed any light on it.

No nothing like that. I'm on my second W205 and neither did this. The new one squeaks when first used but that stops after a few uses. Brakes are really smooth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 C300h. I had this issues first at 3,500 miles. Mercedes replaced the rear disks under warranty.

Happened again at 16,000 miles. Mercedes replaced front disks under warranty.

Happened again at 24,000 miles. Mercedes have sent a case to head office, but they were acting like this ever happened.

Well! They provided me with a 2017 e220d AMG - 8,000 miles on the clock and guess what?! Same issue!

I collected my car from the dealer yesterday, no fix as they are awaiting instruction from Germany. I pointed out that the courtesy car has the same issue, only then the dealer admit that there seems to be a problem with about 10% of vehicles with this problem - however MB are absolutely clueless as to what is wrong.

Apparently he car is safe to drive, but I must say this may well be my first and last Mercedes.

Car booked in for 3 weeks on 24th March so that the dealer can undertake further tests to isolate the cause.

It's ridiculous.

Hold function, assuming you use it.

Hot brakes, pads gripping hot discs in hold mode, imprint left, brake judder.

Last two vehicles same issue, use Hold a lot and is the common denominator.

Hi All,

Have any of you if any luck with this being sorted by the dealer? My 2016 C300 Coupe is currently at the dealer for what appears to be the same issues.

First started circa 5k miles and over the course of 4K miles had the discs, pads, some bushes and wheels replaced. Once the wheels were replaced things were ok for another circa 4500 miles. I am now at just before 15k miles and the issue is back...

The to and fro between the dealer and Mercedes has gone on for too long and I have been apparently mislead in thinking I have a isolated issue, so plan to share this thread with the dealer tomorrow.

Keen to hear if anyone has progressed positively?

Cheers!

Hold function, assuming you use it.

Hot brakes, pads gripping hot discs in hold mode, imprint left, brake judder.

Last two vehicles same issue, use Hold a lot and is the common denominator.

Am very familiar with brake deposits though believe it's something more sinister with hybrids, as today my MB dealer advised HO are working on a complete overhaul of the hybrid brake system, where existing replacements aren't immediately available/out of stock (probably because the issue will re-occur so a waste of time doing it)

My judder happens 20/30 minutes after driving, never there at the beginning so definitely not warped discs, especially if you know this is a 99% myth as described above - I purposefully always apply Park when stationary just to avoid this...

This is happening on our C250d, though not under properly firm braking. Thanks for insights on use of the Hold function. Going to see if avoiding that helps..

Update - Been out today and specifically avoided using the HOLD function and braking has been much smoother. Can still feel a slight 'grab and release' with fixed pedal pressure under very light braking at slow speed. Closer inspection of the nearside front disc, shows a very faint pad-sized shadow. Going to clean this up with some proper braking and then be sure to not use HOLD when the brakes are hot.

We did have vibration under braking on our Golf which was also an approved used, so it too had been stood somewhere for six months (I reckon) and one of the front discs never did clean up properly. Changed the discs and pads and the problem has never come back, but it is a manual so holding it on the service brakes isn't the normal way of keeping station at a junction or on a hill.

Must say this is the first time I've experienced this particular 'brake pad deposit' issue and that's with more than 40-yrs of motoring, 25-yrs of which spent on roads and race/test tracks in various countries in literally hundreds of different cars from Skoda through to Ferrari.

It's as interesting as it is irritating. Hopefully it ceases to be both very soon.

Ironically you're a lot less likely to see it on race/test cars as they aren't routinely held "brake on" at stationary while the friction material is hot. Automatics are probably the worst for it as drivers are a lot less likely to knock them into manual and put the handbrake on.

Ironically you're a lot less likely to see it on race/test cars as they aren't routinely held "brake on" at stationary while the friction material is hot. Automatics are probably the worst for it as drivers are a lot less likely to knock them into manual and put the handbrake on.
True enough. Though, I have driven thousands of road miles in automatics before and not come across this. Mercedes, with their foot-applied parking brake were always easier to hold on the service brake, even though that may not be the correct driving method. Being the Luddite that I am, I miss the mechanical handbrake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom