W205/204 C43 vs C63 extended warranty (and other) costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingsparks

Car
BMW
Hi all

I've been looking at buying a 2019+ C63. I'll be keeping this car for a good few years, so one of the things I've looked into is the extended warranty. My current car is a BMW 135i and I've had loads of pay outs on the extended warranty, so it's been worthwhile.

From what I can see, extended warranty on a C63 is £2700 per year. Crazy money. Warranty on a C43 is £700 which is reasonable.

Such a big difference between the two - makes you think that the C63 might have more problems, and more expensive problems than the C43. Although I've read that the C63 engine is reliable.

I don't suppose anyone can give an insight to the huge difference in the cost of the warranty? Is the engine in the C63 really that much more expensive to repair or that bit more unreliable?

I'm guessing servicing costs are similar for the two cars?

Basically...I'm trying to work out the rough difference I'd be paying between these two cars over a five or six year period. My heart says C63 but the numbers might say C43..!

Last edited:
The difference in cost between the warranties will be the fact that the C43 and C63 are vastly different cars. The C43 is more closely related to the rest of the range whereas the C63 is different in almost every respect, the engine being the most significant part of that. I've had my C63 for 12 months now and had two unexpected issues, with only one of those that would have been covered on a warranty (issue with the starter) - for that reason I didn't bother. Money down the drain in my opinion, at least if you find a decent car in the first place.

There's always the 'luck' factor but I guess its up to you if you take your chance as I did :)

You only live once in my opinion, these cars will be gone soon enough so my thinking was, own one now or regret it forever....

Firstly, the premium reflects not only reliability, but also cost of repairs. The C63 is a sophisticated machine and the parts for it are more expensive, some require more labour hours to replace. So even if the reliability was identical, the C63 would always be dearer to maintain and repair (and insure under extended warranty).

Then, the product you buy when you purchase a warranty isn't low-cost repairs, it's peace of mind. Obviously for the vast majority of owners, the actual cost of repairs will be far lower than the premium (or the warranty provided would go bust). So you should be thinking whether it's worth paying this amount in order to sleep well at night. If the answer is yes, than it's a good deal (even if you never actually make a claim).

As mentioned above it is the '63 engine and running gear that leads to the higher cost of the extended warranty. Given you are buying a 2019 car and it is likely to be from a main dealer you will get at least a 2 year warranty on the car from day one. I'd be happy to rely on that and put a few pennies away each year for any issues that crop up outside of the regular servicing. I've had my 6.2 for 3 years now and apart from the regular servicing at the local dealer (who have looked after me very well) it has been bullet proof so I would expect a well maintained 4.0 to be the same.

The difference in cost between the warranties will be the fact that the C43 and C63 are vastly different cars.

Thanks for the replies

I'm looking at facelift models and had a look through the brochures.

I've made a list below of some of the similarities and differences. At the risk of being a bit of an idiot...would you mind telling me any of the other obvious items I've missed?

Differences
Engine: Of course the biggest difference - 4L turbo vs 3L turbo
Gearbox: C63 has AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 9-speed auto. C43 has 9G-TRONIC PLUS. I'm guessing the C63 can change gear a bit quicker.
Body: C63 has more aggressive styling
Drive: 4 wheel drive on the C43
Differential: Electronic diff on the C63, not on the C43

Same on both?
Driving modes: Comfort, Sport etc.
Wheels: 18 or 19 inch or both but more options on the C63
Exhaust: Both have performance exhaust on coupe. I think it's an option on the C43 saloon
Toys: Premium & premium plus available on both, other equipment inside looks similar
Seats: Same
Interior: Same apart from small styling differences

Differences
Engine: Of course the biggest difference - 4L turbo vs 3L turbo
Gearbox: C63 has AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 9-speed auto. C43 has 9G-TRONIC PLUS. I'm guessing the C63 can change gear a bit quicker.
Body: C63 has more aggressive styling
Drive: 4 wheel drive on the C43
Differential: Electronic diff on the C63, not on the C43

Same on both?
Driving modes: Comfort, Sport etc.
Wheels: 18 or 19 inch or both but more options on the C63
Exhaust: Both have performance exhaust on coupe. I think it's an option on the C43 saloon
Toys: Premium & premium plus available on both, other equipment inside looks similar
Seats: Same
Interior: Same apart from small styling differences

Just to add:
-Engine is 4L TWIN-turbo (being picky but I paid a lot for that extra one :D)
-Body styling is different but also unique to the car, the front of the car has custom parts to extend the engine bay to accomodate the V8, also has wider wheel arches etc
-Driving modes may be the same, the C63S will have a 'Race' option not found on the regular C63
-Wheels are staggered on the C63, not sure if they are on the C43
-Exhaust, could be one of two options, 'Performance Exhaust' is standard on all C63's, if you want more volume you need the 'Switchable Exhaust' which gives you the additional set of valves and the button in the cabin to open and close them

On that final point, if you want the 'snap, crackle and pop' from the exhaust, you won't necessarily get it on a 2019 car, the installation of additional EU mandated OPF filters muted the sound on the later cars (post-2018). Same driving experience of course, no difference in performance, just 'volume'.

Thank for adding those Greg

Unless I'm mistaken, both are twin turbo! And the switchable exhaust (which I'm pretty sure is the performance exhaust) is standard on all C43 and C63 coupes but optional on the C43 saloon. I think it used to be optional on the C63 saloon as well, but that changed with more recent models (possibly changed since the C204).

The saloon brochure mentions "Control button in centre console" but for some reason the coupe one doesn't. They both refer to it being the performance exhaust though.

Interesting point about the exhaust note from 2019+ cars. Is this just the C63 or C43 as well? I do remember reading something about that a while ago, do you have a link?

I've also read that the extended warranty can be quite a bit lower when you continue your dealer warranty, as opposed to letting it lapse. I'm looking at the "lapsed" prices now I think - anyone with a C205/W205 C63 extended your warranty? What was the cost like?

Thank for adding those Greg

Unless I'm mistaken, both are twin turbo! And the switchable exhaust (which I'm pretty sure is the performance exhaust) is standard on all C43 and C63 coupes but optional on the C43 saloon. I think it used to be optional on the C63 saloon as well, but that changed with more recent models (possibly changed since the C204).

The saloon brochure mentions "Control button in centre console" but for some reason the coupe one doesn't. They both refer to it being the performance exhaust though.

Interesting point about the exhaust note from 2019+ cars. Is this just the C63 or C43 as well? I do remember reading something about that a while ago, do you have a link?

I've also read that the extended warranty can be quite a bit lower when you continue your dealer warranty, as opposed to letting it lapse. I'm looking at the "lapsed" prices now I think - anyone with a C205/W205 C63 extended your warranty? What was the cost like?
You are quite right, I think the switchable exhaust became standard on the later cars. In terms of the 2019 exhaust note, the 63 definitely sounds quieter (guy lives near me with a 20 plate couple which sounds very restrained compared to my 2017 car), can't comment on the 43 but the ones i've heard don't really sound all that great (in my opinion).

Yes exactly.

There are some nicer things about the earlier cars but I like the extra toys you get on the facelift, especially with premium plus - android auto, 360 camera with premium plus (can be hard to find otherwise), larger display screen etc. You also get the electronic diff in the facelift C63 that was only put in the C63s before the facelift.

I also really dislike the gloss black centre console (fingerprints, scratches!) and they removed this as the standard spec in the later models (facelift I think). I basically decided that if I want things like the sunroof, upgraded speakers, 360 camera, ash console, then it's so hard to find all that together, but if I go for a facelift premium plus, then all that is standard (not sure about on the C43 though!)

Would be really good to hear from C63 owners, who had dealer warranty and then extended the warranty afterwards, without it lapsing. They might be paying quite a bit less than £2700 🤞

Yes exactly.

There are some nicer things about the earlier cars but I like the extra toys you get on the facelift, especially with premium plus - android auto, 360 camera with premium plus (can be hard to find otherwise), larger display screen etc. You also get the electronic diff in the facelift C63 that was only put in the C63s before the facelift.

I also really dislike the gloss black centre console (fingerprints, scratches!) and they removed this as the standard spec in the later models (facelift I think). I basically decided that if I want things like the sunroof, upgraded speakers, 360 camera, ash console, then it's so hard to find all that together, but if I go for a facelift premium plus, then all that is standard (not sure about on the C43 though!)

Would be really good to hear from C63 owners, who had dealer warranty and then extended the warranty afterwards, without it lapsing. They might be paying quite a bit less than £2700 🤞
I don't disagree about the interior of the facelift, I borrowed a new C250d convertible as a courtesy car earlier this year and it was a very nice place to be. I won't lie, i'd love the double width screen and additional tech, but not much else. Sure a 360 camera would be handy, but I have all the other options I would have wanted anyway (Pan roof, Burmeister audio etc).

Drive a 204 6.3 c63 you might prefer it over the 4.0

Doubtful. Yes, it'll make a better noise from the standard exhaust, but the new cars are being throttled by regulations, otherwise they would still sound fantastic

I don't disagree about the interior of the facelift, I borrowed a new C250d convertible as a courtesy car earlier this year and it was a very nice place to be. I won't lie, i'd love the double width screen and additional tech, but not much else. Sure a 360 camera would be handy, but I have all the other options I would have wanted anyway (Pan roof, Burmeister audio etc).

All of these are just nice to haves at the end of the day. However I've gotta have them haha

I was on the hunt for a C63 a while ago and was looking for an approved used with night and premium package, ash interior, 360 cam and 19 inch wheels. Never found one!

With the facelift, it has an updated interior, ash console as standard and then the 360 cam included with the premium plus package. Makes it much easier to find the right one. Then I found out the facelift has android auto and I was sold. I also really like the new front diffuser, although the C43 doesn't have that.

Thought about it but it looks a little dated to me now, especially the interior (don't shoot me..)

Only thing I haven't done so far is drive a C43. I drove a C63 4L a while back and of course loved it.

Still waiting for someone who extended their C63 warranty to say how much it was...!

Pretty sure AMGs always cost more to warranty than non AMG cars.

At the risk of offending any C43 owners, I don’t think a C43 is a real AMG. I can dig out the exact reasons why but broadly it is very closely related to the C450 IIRC. Warranty cost is probably in line with non AMG cars.

Funnily enough, years ago I had a CLK430 which had the engine block of a C43. That C43 was a real AMG…

Just gone back to a C63 from 2 years ownership of a C43. Difference as you would imagine is epic. The C43 response/ pick up was slow in comfort, i had the switchable exhaust, its ok. Fuel economy was a disappointing for it. Early days with my C63 but its not to far off the C43 Figures.Of course the 4 wheel drive is a bonus. My C43 was a great car, i just felt it was a bit underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom