W205 air vent clicking / "chatter"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blaefelda bill

Car
W205 estate
Apologies if theres already a thread but I couldn't find one. Basically my C Class has recently started with a clicking noise as it seems some internal flaps open, shortly after start up, from the passenger side fascia vent.
On another forum there seems some suggestion that dealerships can apply lubricant, but Im not sure if this involves partial dismantling, in which case from experience solving one thing can just open up another! Does anyone else have this and is it fixable without a dealership visit?c

It is usually a problem with one or more of the air blending flaps. The plastic arms they move on break.

Depending which one it can either be a relatively simple repair or require a dashboard removal. Star can be used to run a diagnostic test to track down the faulty part.

Common fault I'm afraid in that it is most likely the heater motor flaps that are causing the sound that you hear.
If one or more of them is at fault then it's most likely a dashboard out job to repair

On earlier C class (203) when this occurs the (upgraded) parts are dirt cheap but the labour bill to fit them is astronomical, no reason why the same should no apply to later models...unfortunately.
The symptoms are normally : you switch on the ignition and you heard the flaps moving around and clicking (trying to home) after a short while it stops, but every time you start the car the same fault comes back.

My MB Indi had it on one of his old C class courtesy cars, he scrapped the car rather than trying to fix it. Not worth his workshop time despite having all the skills/tools.

Apologies if theres already a thread but I couldn't find one. Basically my C Class has recently started with a clicking noise as it seems some internal flaps open, shortly after start up, from the passenger side fascia vent.
On another forum there seems some suggestion that dealerships can apply lubricant, but Im not sure if this involves partial dismantling, in which case from experience solving one thing can just open up another! Does anyone else have this and is it fixable without a dealership visit?c
I had a strange noise in the morning sounded like the air flaps moving they sounded a little like the team of a plastic ruler as they moved past whatever was causing them to move slowly. My cure was to purchase a can of WD40 PTFE dry spray NOT normal WD40. I just sprayed to lubricant into the dash vents using the attached probe. Car had a smell of the lubricant for a few days. Did the spraying in September and all is still ok.

I fixed my w203. Book job was about 12 hours. I did it over two long days on a summer weekend. The blend motor internal clutches can also go.

Radio out. Glove box out. Steering column stripped and carpets and under dash removed. Grazed knuckles. But over £1000 saved and all worked afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions. Given that the flaps seem to be working, and mostly without noise, I can safely say that the dashboard will not be coming out. It loks such a fiddly and lengthy job that the dealership cost would be huge, and my confidence in not ending up with squeeks, creaks and rattles is not high! I'll try the lube approach and post an update in due course.

I fixed my w203. Book job was about 12 hours. I did it over two long days on a summer weekend. The blend motor internal clutches can also go.

Radio out. Glove box out. Steering column stripped and carpets and under dash removed. Grazed knuckles. But over £1000 saved and all worked afterwards.

Not all of the actuators are so difficult to access. I replaced an actuator on my W203 a couple of years ago and it was quite easy to find behind the radio housing. It is worth checking if you are up for removing a few bits - you might be lucky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom