W205: Allow car to "drive" with door open.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds dangerous, especially for America...

Elderly lady gets in the car, just starting to drive off - door auto-locking not engaged yet - and a hoodie with a machete pulls the handle on the outside - lady want to floor it but....

Unless the brake is only applied if the door is opened from the inside?

If it's like my W212, if the door opens it engages Park. Period. Game over.

Game over? Too bad, except for MB. Must increase sales if it is game over with the old car.

Then again it could be as with my V222, open the door, P is engaged, select D or R and keep driving with the door open.

It is a safety feature but it does not mean there was no way to drive the car when the door is open.

I was at the tip the other day, guy reversed back into a space and hit one of the cones, he pulled forward and jumped out of the car to see what it was he hit and obviously left it in drive, he then had a very panicked looking run as he tried to catch up with his car that was heading towards the skips some 20 odd meters in front.
He did managed to jump in and stop it before it collided with them...........just.

I guess this is what they are aiming to stop?

My X3 has it too, although I believe it doesn't do it if your seatbelt is still fastened. Which makes sense and is a good compromise, I would assume Mercedes are the same?

Read into this a bit more, and it seems that it'll only do it after 6mph. There's little lights around the P which go out at that speed. Below 6mph the pawl can easily handle it, even screeching the tyres apparently.

Read this, particularly posts 5, 10, 15, 30, 34, 35 and 40 Open door --- WHAAM!!! - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

Don't know if it's frowned upon posting links to other forums here, but it's helpful nontheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom