W205 and Sensual Purity.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
With quite bit of discussion going on abouit the W205 perhaps its useful to find out a bit about its designer [ exterior] and Mercedes new "sensual purity" styling initiative. Step forward Robert Lesnick via VW and Kia to Mercedes .:p
AR-60525044.jpg&MaxW=622&cci_ts=20060525143551

Mercedes-Benz Exterior Design Director on Sensual Purity « Form Trends

the culprit for the interior is one Michele-Jauch-Paganetti from MERCEDES advanced design studio on Lake Como. You can see his love of the Fondue [ melted cheese] look in some of the accompanying shots. ;)
Michele-Jauch-Paganetti-1.jpg

Mercedes-Benz Advanced Design Studio in Como (Update) - Car Body Design

With quite bit of discussion going on abouit the W205 perhaps its useful to find out a bit about its designer [ exterior] and Mercedes new "sensual purity" styling initiative.

"sensual purity" ..... I smell shi*te.

When terms/phrases like this are bandied about I get the impression it's because the management and design teams care more about labels than actual styling.

The W205 is not a terrible looking car. But it's not that good either IMO. And when I saw one recently in the flesh (or in the metal perhaps) it looked like a W204 crossed with a CLA. The CLA is a travesty IMO and if the W205 reminds me of a CLA the that's not a good thing.

I think that the MB design team on a covert mission to make the Insignia look good.

Bullxxxt. Worse than that, marketing bullxxxt.
Ah! I have seen a couple. Bloated, fat ****d things with no styling cohesion. Dreadfully, dreadfully ugly.

Last edited:
That's right bollo*ks to the new designs especially the new 2015 e class! If only they could combine mb's engines an reliability with audis outer n interior design..

New C-Class is a real head turner in my opinion. Much, much, much better than a BMW 3 series

why is Ant and/or Dec working on car design, has Britain not got talent?:thumb:

I used to work in the R&E Centre, attached on the same site was the Design Centre, we called it Fairy Land but not because of any gender aberrations there but because they were "away with the fairies"...........our Execs wore suits and ties, over there it was Chinos and Jumpers slung over their shoulders, couldn't even dress themselves in the mornings :D

Cant help but say that Mercedes latest design styles for all new models have brought a host of new customers across. I could never look at a Mercedes in terms of buying until recently. The style is bang on the button for the A, the C, E ( bar interior ) and CLA, CLS class imo. They have got it right in a big way. BMW range bar the current 6 series gran coupe etc bores me. And thats from a long term BMW fan. I have no doubt, they are onto a winner.

I was passed going in the opposite direction by a GLA 45 AMG in yellow yesterday. Until it got close and I could make out the grille, I thought it was a bodykitted Peugeot...

As a possible new MB owner I feel the styling is nice. Didn't like the w205 overly much.

Trouble I'd everything has to meet standards/regulations plus a whole remit of customer requirements etc so as a designer I imagine you are fairly limited.

MBClub - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts - Really!

I have kept out of the W205 slagging match for a while now but just feel I have to try and offer a counterpoint to anybody thinking of buying a W205. Having owned a W204 from new for 2 1/2 years, then trading it in for a new W205 back in November I think I can compare the 2 models from experience.

I have no misaligned panels or doors, no rattles and the car has been 100% reliable since taking delivery. In short I am absolutely delighted with it. Yes there was a Cam Belt Tensioner recall but that also included the W204. The car (Saloon) has been described as 'carp' on this forum because it is built in South Africa. Now I was not aware that the South Africans, as a nation, could not build cars but if we take this statement on face value then they seem to be doing a good job of the W205 - accepting of course that I have not just been extremely lucky with mine.

The styling/looks have come in for harsh criticism, with one particularly comment from a C250 TD Estate owner being particularly bad. However, surely looks are subjective? I personally do not think that the C250 TD Estate is an aesthetic delight but I would not want to insult any owners of this vehicle because that is only my opinion. And as we all know opinions are like @r$£holes; we just seem to have a lot of opinions on this Forum.

I joined this Forum, as a first time MB owner, to learn and interact with like minded enthusiasts. Since then I have been berated for daring to buy a W204 with the AMG Sport trim and now for buying a W205. I could be forgiven for thinking I was actually on the BMW Forum. The most noticeable issue for me is that, whilst healthy dialogue/banter is always a good thing, this Forum seems to be turning in on itself with unwarranted attacks on owners of Mercedes - go figure... There are obviously some very knowledgeable and helpful people on this Forum and I always enjoy reading their posts. Unfortunately these benefits, for me, are being lost by having to suffer the rants of those who believe that their view is the only view. If I were thinking of buying a W205 as a new buyer of MB and read this Forum first, I most likely would avoid this model, purely based on the so called MB enthusiasts' comments. That cannot be a good thing - IMHO of course.

Don't take it personally Como, nearly every new Mercedes model gets slagged off then after a year they move on to the latest thing...

I'm a fan of the looks of the W205 but then I also really like the look of the W222 which is very similar but a lot more big brother.

And I agree with your point about South Africa; these cars are just nuts and bolts, if there's major problems its more likely caused through development than the actual manufacture.

Ooh. I touched a nerve. I bought for function, diesel estate, working car, not designer handbag. It is possible to design cars that do not look like an object lesson in misapplied decoration. The current MB range have thrown away any vestige of good taste in order to appeal to a mass market. I would expect it to be well made, most cars are andMB are better than many but that is not the point being discussed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder who, in this case is glad he went to Specsavers.

tron said:
Ooh. I touched a nerve. I bought for function, diesel estate, working car, not designer handbag. It is possible to design cars that do not look like an object lesson in misapplied decoration. The current MB range have thrown away any vestige of good taste in order to appeal to a mass market. I would expect it to be well made, most cars are andMB are better than many but that is not the point being discussed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder who, in this case is glad he went to Specsavers.

The majority disagree with you.

I think w204's look ancient now, only the 2010-11 ones are decent looking. As for the w203...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom