W205 Bonnet/Bumper/Headlight Alignment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

96SPEC

Car
W205
Hi - Looking for a bit of advice here. First post despite being a Mercedes owner for last 6 years. Have never been sure which is the goto mercedes UK forum site...! but anyway.

I very recently purchased a used W205 from a franchised dealer near Bracknell about 250miles from me. A 66 Plate with 10k of miles lovely, clean and pristine. 14 days into ownership and I have noticed minor differences between the bumper and headlight gaps between drivers/passenger side whilst in addition a minor variation in bonnet gap on either side. The main concern however is that the headlight on driver side appears to be in contact with the bumper - think front top right of the light when facing it - with clear abrasion marks on both parts although admittedly very small. The headlight is pushing into the bumper and that part of the bumper looks slightly malformed but probably <5mm2.

My local bodyshop has taken a brief look and suggested the bumper has been off at some point but said nothing looks sinister and the bumper looks original. The bonnet catches on either side have parts in different colours which is slightly odd. Their words were it could have been off for a parking sensor or if there was damage it was very very light. They advised to have the bumper removed, see behind it and refit it with a view to getting it straight. Obviously as long as they don't find anything bent behind.

I spoke to the dealer to get their input and sign off on potential bill of £100-150. I sent a not so great video with the details and they came back essentially saying they don't see enough of an issue to consider progressing it. In fairness the detail in my video was not great and it is difficult to see so I have since sent them 2 further with more emphasis on the headlight fouling the bumper...

Key issue here for me is a)if and when i come to sell the car someone is going to raise the same concerns and b) mercedes declining on future warranty claims based on the bumper alignment being a mitigating factor.

I looked at 2 C classes last year with distinct headlight alignment differences. I also visited my local MB dealer this morning and observed differences on the vehicles but none of them appear to be touching in the same way as mine.

So questions

1. Anyone else noticed / have issue with their W205 in this area?
2. Does anyone with W205 have a left latch with all black parts and right having some parts in grey?
3. Would you be concerned with this?
4. What would you do?

Part of me is inclined to tell the bodyshop to take it off and try and align it whilst also coming back to me if anything is bent behind it. My issue with that though is we are talking about doing this on an MB Approved vehicle and frankly for the cost of the car I don't feel this is acceptable on premium vehicle advertised on their Mercedes Approved site. I suggested to the sales guy that I should not expect to be checking panel gaps or alignment in fine detail when they take the black cover off in the showroom.

Of course it would be easier if Bracknell was down the road from me but it is not and I think its acceptable that when MB sell approved used cars the customers could be coming from anywhere in the country.

I am waiting to hear back from the dealer again currently but considering escalating to Merc as a complaint.

Hi - Looking for a bit of advice here. First post despite being a Mercedes owner for last 6 years. Have never been sure which is the goto mercedes UK forum site...! but anyway.

I very recently purchased a used W205 from a franchised dealer near Bracknell about 250miles from me. A 66 Plate with 10k of miles lovely, clean and pristine. 14 days into ownership and I have noticed minor differences between the bumper and headlight gaps between drivers/passenger side whilst in addition a minor variation in bonnet gap on either side. The main concern however is that the headlight on driver side appears to be in contact with the bumper - think front top right of the light when facing it - with clear abrasion marks on both parts although admittedly very small. The headlight is pushing into the bumper and that part of the bumper looks slightly malformed but probably <5mm2.

My local bodyshop has taken a brief look and suggested the bumper has been off at some point but said nothing looks sinister and the bumper looks original. The bonnet catches on either side have parts in different colours which is slightly odd. Their words were it could have been off for a parking sensor or if there was damage it was very very light. They advised to have the bumper removed, see behind it and refit it with a view to getting it straight. Obviously as long as they don't find anything bent behind.

Welcome to the "goto" MB Forum! :)

So the car was lovely, clean and pristine but you did not notice the faults you are now trying to have rectified when you looked over and bought the car?

It does not matter where the selling dealer is based, no one should / would expect you to travel 500 miles to and from the selling dealership to have faults put right. Any franchised dealer should take on the work under the MB approved warranty terms.

Did the car come with a clear HPI check? I would w writing to them via recorded delivery to ask for the full history of the car, it may have been damaged at delivery and repaired poorly etc.

Another option is that you could reject the car under the Mercedes 30 day exchange policy

This is a tricky one. In principle you can go to any MB dealer for Approved Used warranty issues, but an issue relating to the condition of the car pre-sale will need to be raised directly with the supplying dealer.

So I don't see how you can avoid taking the car back to the dealer in Bracknell. You could however check if the dealer is part of a chain, in which case you may be able to have the issue addressed by a nearer branch.

But ultimately you might not actually have a case... i.e. even if the car was involved in a minor shunt and 'professionally repaired' then there's no legal requirement on the dealer to inform you about it, and it will still qualify for Approved Used status.

You can of course dispute the quality of the repair, but in order to do this you may need to fork-out for an independent assessment e.g. from the AA that includes paint thickness measuring etc.

The other worry regarding a possible accident repair is that the car might lose it's anti-perforation and paint warranty - unless you are able to prove that the repair was carried-out by an MB-Approved body shop.

But of course the current condition of the front end might be the result of some extensive warranty repair necessitating removel and dismantling of parts, and not due to accident damage.

But - if you are unhappy with the car - have you considered exercising your right under the Approved Used scheme of rejecting the car within 30 days of purchase? You will not get a cash refund, but you can use the funds to purchase another vehicle from the Approved Used stock (and this time check it with a fine-tooth comb prior to purchasing).

And yes, it is a sad state of affairs when buyers need to check MB Approved Used cars themselves - but unfortunately yours is not an uncommon complaint.

How about contacting the previous owner to get some information, their details will be on the log book

Thanks for your replies.

The point about anti-performation and paint is one I hadnt considered. I have thought about the 30day rejection option although that would be extremely disappointing to go that route for something seemingly minor. I will speak to the dealer again on Monday with a view that if it is not progressed or I am not hearing what I need to then Ill raise with MB and progress with them for a few days first.

If it can be resolved through some readjustment issue then it would be frustrating if they did not accommodate that and quickly. I just dont know how adjustable these things are but assume there must be some room.

Annoyingly I have a reasonable eye for detail and the car was purchased over the phone as was my previous W204. When I picked up the car the experience was pretty overwhelming to be frank after a long time coming and certainly a factor in possibly not noticing this in the first instance. Obsidian Black Metallic is also perfect for hiding potential issues like this vs white - my previous w204 was the same colour.

The car should be HPi clear - I believe all MB approved used have to be and I think that HPi will only show insured CATegories or where it is written off so not minor repairs.

Regarding previous owner..I cannot find the previous owner listed on the V5 they told me it was an ex-MB company car first registered with them and a lady had it from new. It sits low so it could have been a minor curb issue when parking. In fairness the car feels and looks absolutely fine and works perfectly including driving - there is nothing curious about it apart from this.

Looking at another of the same model this morning at my local dealer its headlamp was misaligned on the passenger side then I looked at 2 others and gap between the light and bumper was different on both cars.

If any of you have an MB model with 2 bonnet catches then be interesting if they are different colours either side.

I've got a C205, a 16 plate and my bumper had to come off at the first service to replace a headlight that had water in it.
My car also went back for the n/s bonnet catch not closing, I don't know if they replaced the catch or adjusted it.
My car was built February 16 I don't know if they had a bad batch of headlights/bonnet catches at the time.
If your car wasn't privately owned from new then perhaps the owner wasn't too bothered that the bumper was out a bit.

How much of a distance are we talking from when you bought the car until you noticed the faults?

From the OP's first post

"I very recently purchased a used W205 from a franchised dealer near Bracknell about 250miles from me. A 66 Plate with 10k of miles lovely, clean and pristine. 14 days into ownership and I have noticed minor differences between the bumper and headlight gaps between drivers/passenger side whilst in addition a minor variation in bonnet gap on either side. "

How much of a distance are we talking from when you bought the car until you noticed the faults?

I reset the trip when I left the dealer. It has done ~400 miles since which includes the drive home. I looked all over the car today and underneath and at the front and it all looks genuine and true. No marks underneath, nothing different either side with all under body and wheel trim and fixings matching each side. Just the headlight and bumper having mild gap differences but to the point the headlight is fouling the bumper on the driver side. There appears to be a cooler mounted horizontally facing upwards at the base of the front bumper and that looks perfect also with a foam insert underneath completely unmarked. Everything works wonderfully and I get bumped up to ~2years warranty.

I genuinely dont know what to think or feel.

My local dealer is JCT and pretty helpful so might ask them to take it in this week and give their view which at least would give me possibly a stronger position to go back to the originating dealer and/or peace of mind.. The key learning here for me here is that despite buying an approved used advertised directly on the Merc site you are at the mercy of the original dealer in the first instance of an issue and I dont think that is helpful. MB should allow an approved used car to be returned to any dealer to have post sale issues investigated and especially if in a 30day period. Of course I get it - dealers are all run by different companies AND its used.

MB should allow an approved used car to be returned to any dealer to have post sale issues investigated and especially if in a 30day period. Of course I get it - dealers are all run by different companies AND its used.

I do not think that you do get it.

As has already been said you can take it to any Mercedes dealer for repair etc within the warranty period

I do not think that you do get it.

As has already been said you can take it to any Mercedes dealer for repair etc within the warranty period

Ok thanks - Maybe I was reading that option as only possibly if it is a warranty issue.

The originating dealer didnt seem keen for me to take it to my local when I suggested it and they also said it wouldnt get to the point that I would have to escalate to MB.. which in some ways has made me somewhat paranoid even if they were trying to put my mind at rest :)

Ok thanks - Maybe I was reading that option as only possibly if it is a warranty issue.

The originating dealer didnt seem keen for me to take it to my local when I suggested it and they also said it wouldnt get to the point that I would have to escalate to MB.. which in some ways has made me somewhat paranoid even if they were trying to put my mind at rest :)

This is a warranty issue if it is incorrectly assembled and from your initial description of components rubbing together is clearly a fault. They are not keen because they cannot control another dealers diagnosis and costs which will be passed back to them and they do not want complaints feeding back to MB UK.

Are they seriously expecting you to take it back to them over 200 miles away, leave it with them for???however long it takes to inspect and fix? As a minimum they should be paying for fuel, your time and providing a courtesy car equivalent to yours if there are faults that need to be addressed.

Trading standards is one possibility - give the place where you bought it the opportunity to correct it then take it from there, you also have a 14 day cooling off period from the time you bought it to return the car as unsatisfactory or no longer want the car...

Trading standards is one possibility - give the place where you bought it the opportunity to correct it then take it from there, you also have a 14 day cooling off period from the time you bought it to return the car as unsatisfactory or no longer want the car...

From the OP's original post :I very recently purchased a used W205 from a franchised dealer near Bracknell about 250miles from me. A 66 Plate with 10k of miles lovely, clean and pristine. 14 days into ownership and I have noticed minor differences between the bumper and headlight gaps between drivers/passenger side whilst in addition a minor variation in bonnet gap on either side.

You cannot just reject a car because you do not want it, when you buy it there is a contract in place between both parties, the OP does have the MB 30 Day exchange to fall back on if they wish although they seem keen to keep the car.

Edit

Yes I understood this about the 30day policy in that it is something that has to be agreed between both parties before it is accepted.

In my original post I stated it was 14 days which in fact was 14 days to the date of my OP. I picked up the car on the 7th which I assume is considered the day of purchase when I signed the relevant paperwork. I logged the issue with them on the 19th which is 12 days.

Going to try and see what my local dealer thinks to at least get an opinion from an MB technician if possible.

I've got a C205, a 16 plate and my bumper had to come off at the first service to replace a headlight that had water in it.
My car also went back for the n/s bonnet catch not closing, I don't know if they replaced the catch or adjusted it.
My car was built February 16 I don't know if they had a bad batch of headlights/bonnet catches at the time.
If your car wasn't privately owned from new then perhaps the owner wasn't too bothered that the bumper was out a bit.

Ah thanks - I missed your post. What colour are your catches out of interest? I scoured the web last night but could only find one of a W205 engine bay where I could just make out the right side catch and that had grey catch trim. Be interesting to know if they are all like that.

Oh dear, oh dear.

What a saga and an absolute disappointment. Some 52 days from raising the issue to the dealer and I have been without car for 40days and my patience has now worn thin. Currently on Day 9 from signing paperwork to buy back the car - they said 7-10 days for the money to go into your account.

And I will be out of pocket so the saga will now be escalated to Vertu customer care and @MercedesUKTeam.

more to follow and that pup is back up for sale to some unsuspecting customer and they have put it at higher price despite the issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom