W205 bonnet closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldTimer66

Car
C200 Sport Estate S205
Hi

Looking for some advice over what might appear to be a minor matter with my brand new W205 C Class, but which is aggravating me.

I’m having a great deal of difficulty in closing the bonnet – as a result the bonnet open alarm is constantly going off. It seems not to close properly 4 times out of 5.

I know there are 2 bonnet catches, and the nearside one does not seem to engage easily.

The handbook says let the bonnet drop from 20cm and it should shut OK. Mine will not unless it is slammed shut – and I mean SLAMMED.

I have had to call Mercedes assistance out, and after investigation (and multiple attempts to close the bonnet normally) he said he could not diagnose any problem, but said there was an issue.

It has now been to 2 MB main dealers. Both deny there is a problem, and that it is quite normal to have to hard slam the bonnet shut. They both then proceeded to lecture me about how to slam the bonnet!

I’m not sure what to do next. 2 MB dealers have insisted there is no issue yet the mobile Mercedes technician thinks there may be a problem.

Is it normal to have to be so brutal to shut the bonnet on a W205? :confused:

What are the panel gaps like ? It would be normal to adjust the catches for a parallel gap. If it's like the W204 both the catch on the bonnet and the stops are easy to adjust. A 10 min job and one of the first things I did to mine. Of course you shouldn't have to do it but sometimes it's the path of least resistance.

Same for me

I too have to give the bonnet a good slam otherwise I get the bonnet open icon on display.
TBH not that bothered though now I am aware it needs a good bit of GBH

What are the panel gaps like ? It would be normal to adjust the catches for a parallel gap. If it's like the W204 both the catch on the bonnet and the stops are easy to adjust. A 10 min job and one of the first things I did to mine. Of course you shouldn't have to do it but sometimes it's the path of least resistance.

When the bonnet is properly close the panel gap is perfect, but otherwise there will be a very slight gap on the n/s. Then the alarm will go off.

Because the panel gaps are good when closed, the MB dealers were very, very reluctant to adjust the stops/catches etc.

I hear what you say but I'm a little reluctant to fiddle with a brand new car.

Unacceptable if it's that bad imho .... If you sell people will think it's been involved in a collision lol

It's not unusual to have to"throw down" modern aluminium bonnets to shut them fully, their lightweight construction combined with gas resisting struts being the fundamental causes. Rather this method of closure than pressing down to engage the catches as this will almost certainly cause dents!

Picked up my W205 C200 last week and after opening the bonnet at the weekend, today I got the alarm sounding continuously. Stopped 3 times to open and close the bonnet and was on my way to the dealership before stopping 1 last time. A hard slam did the trick but if I hadn't by chance seen this thread earlier, I wouldn't have believed that it needed that much of a slam to shut off the sensor. That doesn't seem quite right to me.

Well. After a week of owning a E220 (212) I can say this is not just a 205 issue.

I opened my bonnet yesterday whilst parked in our garage, just to have a nosey at the engine bay. Today got in the car and 'bonnet open' warning and beeps. I opened bonnet and it took 3 attempts to sort it. The 3rd was an almighty slam. More than just gravity.

Surely it's not right to have to be so brutal?

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried a bit of grease on the catches?

Might be the difference between a throw and gravity alone.

Same applies to w218 but it is not a major slam just a firm push and has got to be done from the correct clearance which I have now mastered.

I have the same problem with my E class W212, the bonnet will not fall under its own weight from any height as it used to with my CLK W209. I assumed the difference was that the E has an active bonnet for pedestrian safety as all modern cars have to.
People with older cars trying to offer helpful advice, I am afraid you need to experience the active bonnet to appreciate what the problem is.

Bonnets now seem two have two catches - one at each side instead of only one in the centre. When there was just one in the centre and the bonnet was positioned in terms of panel gaps by buffers stops at each side you can imagine there was enough flex in the bonnet for the centre catch to engage under its own weight.

Now with catches at each side close to the buffers I think there is very little flex and adjustment of both the stops and the catch is much more critical.

My own bonnet closed easily when I got it but it had poor panel gaps. I've adjusted it to the correct panel gaps which made it more difficult to close. I can live with that.

My panel gaps are perfect and the latches are in good order, when I first got the car I had the dash message every time I opened the bonnet, now I simply slam it down with reasonable force, not very civilised I know, but it works.

My panel gaps are perfect and the latches are in good order, when I first got the car I had the dash message every time I opened the bonnet, now I simply slam it down with reasonable force, not very civilised I know, but it works.

I get my butler to do mine:devil: More civilised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom