W205 Brakes Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merckdan

Car
C Class Coupe C220d AMG-Line PremiumPlus
W205 Coupe 16' needed discs and pads changing, bought OEM ones from MB and gave to trustworthy indy garage near me at work to change. Then I started to get juddering/vibrations when breaking mainly at high speeds, juddering got worse and worse so then I took the car back to the garage about 4 weeks after. They said they can see variation in the discs but no other issues - it may be a faulty disc/part from MB so take it to them. After a 2 week wait for an appointment I finally took it into MB on Friday and when I went to collect it they said 'the wheels have been overtightened when the discs/pads have been changed and now need new disc, pads, wheel bearings, hub, AND alloys' - total cost £2833! I was gobsmacked to be honest. Now I don't know whether MB are having me on here or the garage has actually made an error or if its a car issue. I've just ordered some new OEM discs to try and put on. I've read couple of other threads but not really got an answer. Taking it back to the indy garage to put the discs on. It's doing my head in and the juddering is happening at lower speeds now too.

Does anyone have any idea?

Not sure if I would have been happy with the 'trustworthy' indy fobbing me off to a main MB dealer ? seems like odd behaviour . The car did not judder until they fitted new OEM discs and pads.

It is widely acknowledged that replacing your own front discs and pads is one of the easier DIY jobs out there and a decent indy should be able to do it in their sleep.

Maybe that's what they did !!

We have been down this particular rabbit hole before on this forum and it often ends in much money being spent. I am curious to know how MB know the wheel bolts have ben overtightened ? Did they measure and record the wheel bolt torque before removal ? If there is physical damage to the wheels or the bolts are measurably stretched then it's back to the indy with the proof.

Juddering discs on the W205 and (W213) is a known issue without a true-fix. Seemingly it's down to the newer, lightweight design of the discs and I've been told the hub must be thoroughly cleaned (more than usual) prior to fitting of any rust etc, but also the new discs must be fitted dry i.e. no grease applied to the hub or disc. I think your best/fastest option may be to get new discs fitted on the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom