W205 C Class. 12 things that have left me wanting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonecho

Car
W205 C200 petrol
While I really love my new C class, which is a cut above my old Mondeo 4.5 powershift, there are somethings where the Mondeo was far superior. I won’t include interior and boot space in my list as it was my choice to pick a smaller car so here is my list of items where I have been left wanting.

1 Very easy to lock the car keys in the boot. Just unlock the boot with the key fob but if I leave the key in the boot while loading it and then close the boot without unlocking the car first there is no way into the car or the boot. I just know I am going to do this at some point.

2 The sound quality of the radio is very poor and not as good as the Mondeo. With the MY 16 build MB removed the option of a stand alone Burmester.

3 No scan function where the radio plays a few seconds of each available station.

4 No single touch keys to play presets. Now I have to go through menus to achieve something that I could do in less than a second.

5 No heated front windscreen. Ford windscreens defrost in seconds now it is out with the ice scraper so it is back to the ice age.

6 I can’t talk to the car to change temperatures, radio stations and a dozen other things etc… so now more mucking around with menus.

7 It was impossible to misfuel a Mondeo which didn’t need a fuel cap but now it is a possibility.

8 Not only does the car not come with even a space saver spare wheel there is no provision to take one either. I just find it bizarre they make the recess square to take a collapsible crate rather than round to take a wheel.

:fail

9 The position of the electric handbrake is really bad. It would have been much better if it was on the centre console. Yes it will auto engage and release if certain conditions are met but where I park it needs too much accelerator to release it so I have to fumble for the button. In fact I can’t really link of a worse position where it has been put and it doesn’t even light up in the dark.
:fail

10 I think it won’t be long before the information screen is integrated back into the dash when the car is updated. I think it was a bold move to place it where they did but it does nothing for the cars interior.

11 I miss the rear window wiper. OK the old car was a hatchback and saloons don't have them but it was really handy for clearing the rear screen.

12 The piano black console is a nightmare to keep clean and shows every touch of a finger.

Despite my list the car is fabulous so there is no going back. :bannana:

Last edited:
Hi,
Are you sure you can lock keys in boot?
I thought that this was not possible.
Have you tried it yet - make sure 2nd key is not near car when you try (otherwise it will see 2nd key and allow car to lock).
If only keys in boot are present - you should not be able to lock car with them inside.
Cheers
Steve

Hi, have you got keyless, if so just wiggle your foot under the rear bumper like the little boy in the ford advert and if the keys are in the boot or in your pocket it will open.

Estates have a rear wiper.

I fully agree about the spare wheel, mind you all manufacturers are going the same way

That article is about 2014. I would have thought it is referring to the previous generation c class predominantly?

You learn to never put the keys down in the boot. That or gaffer tape a spare key blade somewhere under the car.

The article is dated this year. Not sure I would want to tape a key under the car but if I locked myself out I would have wished I did.

Bonecho that's more of a list of gripes! Miss fuel? No voice activated heater? You can spec a C without keyless too.

What happens at home when your valet isn't there to put your smoking jacket on :)

I thought Ford owned the patent for the heated front screen and won't allow or make it incredibly expensive for other manufacturers to implement it.

The only other cars you see with heated front screens have been owned or had some historical association with Ford. Jaguar and Aston Martin spring to mind. Possibly Volvo?

I must agree, the heated ford screen is a great feature, one which all cars should have..

Don't Ford own the patent on this concept and therefore only they have the right to use it?

Yep, Ford own the patent and also fitted it to Jags, Aston Martins and Land Rovers back when they owned these brands, and as each one of those brands were sold Ford allowed them to keep using the technology. The reason being that someone buying a Ford is probably not in the market to buy an Aston or Range Rover so there would be no problem with competition and Ford losing out because a car in the same class had similar technology.

Last edited:
I must admit that the heated screen is a must for my van. I've always had transits. Within 60 seconds every frosty morning the screen is clear. Shame they have the monopoly it it.

I understand most of your list. I had an ST220 and I can relate to everything you say. Voice control systems have a really bad press. But the VCS ON MY ST220 worked every time without fail. Heater settings, (temp and blower speed) radio station, phone system & contacts, cd auto changer and track and all sat nav.

I've never once had the VCS on my B Class understand anything in 3 years. So I never even use it.

Ant

The W204 did go through the route of removing the in-your-face pop-up screen with a more discrete integrated one on the post 2011 facelift. This may prove to be the case with the W205 as well.

The new E class is getting two integrated side by side LCD displays with one being used for the dials. I have read that the updated C Class will be going the same way.

The new E class is getting two integrated side by side LCD displays with one being used for the dials. I have read that the updated C Class will be going the same way.

Out of interest where did you read this about the C class? The iPad like screen is putting me off the car so that's good news if it's going to be integrated again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom