W205 C Class. 12 things that have left me wanting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of interest where did you read this about the C class? The iPad like screen is putting me off the car so that's good news if it's going to be integrated again.

Before I got the car I hated the 'Halfords Stick on screen'. I have the larger screen that comes with Comand. Having lived with it I think it is very much better than the much smaller screen integrated into the dash I had in a CLS. I quickly got accustomed with it and now think that if the much larger screen was integrated then it would make the dash look very intrusive and bulky. I suggest you test drive one and see how soon your opinion changes !

Last edited:
The W204 did go through the route of removing the in-your-face pop-up screen with a more discrete integrated one on the post 2011 facelift. This may prove to be the case with the W205 as well.

I seriously doubt it. My CLS received the same treatment in last year's FL treatment. Not sure about the reasoning behind this move, but money is surely a factor.

I miss the Ford windscreen heater, but the last four cars haven't had it, so I'm used to a normal heating system now. I've owned Audis for the last 15 years and the E is my first Merc.

I absolutely love mine, it's so comfortable and nice to drive. The only downfalls I have is that the interior build quality is good, but it's not quite Audi quality and nor is the standard sound system. The last time I had a car with rattles was in fact when I owned a Mondeo. They are driving me absolutely mental at the moment.

The Diesel engine is really nice; plenty of torque and smooth, but it hasn't converted me; I would swap it for a petrol turbo any day.

What I do have though is a very enjoyable car to drive and hopefully piece of mind that I won't be forking out thousands of pounds on mechanical failures. Our other car is an old Audi, so I'm still on the Audi forum. There's some real horror stories on there!

Yep, Ford own the patent
If Ford patented it, then as it was developed 30+ years ago, the patent is expired.

Heated screen is available as an option on the MINI range - we spec'd one on my wife's then new R56 Cooper S in 2007 - and AFAIK Ford has never owned the MINI or BMW brand.

Before I got the car I hated the 'Halfords Stick on screen'. I have the larger screen that comes with Comand. Having lived with it I think it is very much better than the much smaller screen integrated into the dash I had in a CLS. I quickly got accustomed with it and now think that if the much larger screen was integrated then it would make the dash look very intrusive and bulky. I suggest you test drive one and see how soon your opinion changes !

I totally agree with this

I had a CLA for a week without the comand which had the stuck on screen, the bezel was quite big, looked very aftermarket rather then OEM, I agree if I saw the bigger screen that would probably help, I'll give it another try when I'm looking to buy :)

If Ford patented it, then as it was developed 30+ years ago, the patent is expired.

Heated screen is available as an option on the MINI range - we spec'd one on my wife's then new R56 Cooper S in 2007 - and AFAIK Ford has never owned the MINI or BMW brand.

I think Ford only had the patent on the zig-zag lines - not heated front screens in general.

ee.jpg

Yea the car has its faults as stated above in the first post.
but i do not think iv had a car that has been 100% perfect,
so all i can say is ............ JUST DRIVE IT AND ENJOY IT !!
:thumb:

I had a CLA for a week without the comand which had the stuck on screen, the bezel was quite big, looked very aftermarket rather then OEM, I agree if I saw the bigger screen that would probably help, I'll give it another try when I'm looking to buy :)

I think the over sized bezel is MB playing mind games with its customers. If it was only slightly bigger than the screen then many customers would think they were getting less even though it serves no purpose.

Interestingly Samsung and other TV manufactures have gone the other way. My 42 inch TV has a smaller bezel than the screen in my car and looks better for it.

Bonecho said:
I think the over sized bezel is MB playing mind games with its customers. If it was only slightly bigger than the screen then many customers would think they were getting less even though it serves no purpose. Interestingly Samsung and other TV manufactures have gone the other way. My 42 inch TV has a smaller bezel than the screen in my car and looks better for it.

At MB World they have an S class with fully integrated twin screens. The car pulls it off because it's big, but I wonder if it will work on other models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom