W205 C Class - Bridgestones changed to Michelins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Forestier

Car
W205 C200 AMG PREMIUM PLUS AUTO ESTATE
With 16,000 miles on the car, the tyres were down to 3.5mm fronts & 3mm rears.

Original set and they were Bridgestone Potenza S001 MOE (Run Flats) on 18" rims.

Although all four still had a reasonable amount of life left in them, they were getting much noisier and really crashing on bumps etc. Car is on AMG Line suspension and quite stiff anyway but it felt as though it was becoming much less comfortable.

After some research, I have just had all four changed for Michelin Primacy 3 Zero Pressure MOE Run Flats.

Initial impressions on a 20 mile drive suggests it was worth doing. Feels more cushioned and is quieter.

Traversed the same stretch of road at the same speed and the overall road noise in the cabin is 4db less on the Michelins.

Subjective impressions back up the SLA Lite app. readings, i.e. quieter. Also, Michelins are not run in yet so may drop a tad more?

Not knocking the Bridgestones yet as the Michelins may also get noisier as they wear.

I will post again once I have some more miles on the new tyres.

After driving another 40 miles I can confirm that it is no illusion, the ride is much more compliant on the new Michelins.
It is only by comparison that I realise how harsh the ride had got on the Bridgstones as the deterioration happened gradually over 18 months.
Really pleased with the improvement!

After driving another 40 miles I can confirm that it is no illusion, the ride is much more compliant on the new Michelins.
It is only by comparison that I realise how harsh the ride had got on the Bridgstones as the deterioration happened gradually over 18 months.
Really pleased with the improvement!

Thanks Forestier.

Usefull to know as my C250 estate has the same Bridgestones that will need changing within the next 4 to 6 months.

Where did you get the Michelins and how did the price compare to replacing with Potenzas?

Cheers
Phil

If it's any help, the Bridgeston Potenza's were the worst tyres I ever put on my car in the 11 years I've had it. I would not buy them again.

Russ

Been driving the LS400 on Dunlops sport for some 14 years, Great in the dry but very tail happy in damp or wet conditions, the traction light coming on at most junctions and I'm not the boy racer type. But my tyre guy said that if I listen to him and fit Matador( a subsidiary of Continental) Now 18 months on I think the traction light has come on maybe twice. Much quiter the the Dunlops and still show the 6mm sign in the tread.

I sourced the Michelins from Black Circles with fitting at my local garage.
They were cheaper on the website than the Bridgestones.
Also, BlackCircles only had stock of Bridgestones in the size for one axle, can't remember if it was front or back.
That clinched it and, as I am in France from Saturday for 6 months I thought Michelins might be more readily available if I need to replace a damaged tyre.
Did a few more miles today and the ride is transformed, so pleased

Update:

Have now done a further 1000 miles on the Michelins.

All initial impressions confirmed.

Perhaps it's a bit ott to say the car is transformed but the difference in comfort and noise levels is huge.

Was thinking of changing cars and have had a few test drives but will now keep it for at least another year. (I wonder if its depreciation will be less as petrol engines are becoming sought after?)

I am enjoying the car again!

Just put them on my C250 estate, as you say made a hell of a difference to the ride compared to the original Bridgestones

Suggest you try Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics - they transformed the ride on my S204, whisper quiet, superb grip wet and dry, and really comfortable ride.

Having said that, I'm tempted to go for Michelin Cross Climates next tyre change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom