W205 c class water in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nas500

Car
C250 Sport Bluetec Diesel
hi all

Got a 2015 c250 diesel bluetec.

I went to check the boot where the spare wheel would have been and I can see a puddle of water has collected. I touched it and can see its just rain water so I dried it up and monitored it over the past few days and went to check it today and can see more has collected there. Interestingly when I look underneath the car I can see water dripping ever so slightly onto the ground.

Not sure where the leak is coming from as the boot seems dry. Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks

Hi Ernie

thanks for your reply

can you tell the boot seal is twisted by looking at it? mine seems fine although not sure if it has twisted inside or something. i assume they fixed it for you with a replacement seal?

i guess i will have to take it in but it just really puzzles me how water can collect there. Someone else mentioned could be leaking from a hole just underneath the fuel filler cap so will give it one last check before i take it in.

Godammit. Now I need to go and look in my boot...... :oops:

Hi Ernie

thanks for your reply

can you tell the boot seal is twisted by looking at it? mine seems fine although not sure if it has twisted inside or something. i assume they fixed it for you with a replacement seal?

i guess i will have to take it in but it just really puzzles me how water can collect there. Someone else mentioned could be leaking from a hole just underneath the fuel filler cap so will give it one last check before i take it in.
To be honest, I checked it myself, but couldn't see any problem with the seal. It was only what they told me, but they had the car for more than a week before they found the problem. As I said, it was under warranty and it was MB in Glasgow's body shop that sorted it out for me.

I would check the seal on both sides of the boot near the lights. Difficult to see whare else it could leak. Hope you get it sorted OK>

Ernie

ps. If there is that amount of water in the well, there might be a fair amount below that liner which might be getting close to the electrics!

hi all

Got a 2015 c250 diesel bluetec.

I went to check the boot where the spare wheel would have been and I can see a puddle of water has collected. I touched it and can see its just rain water so I dried it up and monitored it over the past few days and went to check it today and can see more has collected there. Interestingly when I look underneath the car I can see water dripping ever so slightly onto the ground.

Not sure where the leak is coming from as the boot seems dry. Has anybody else had this issue?

Thanks
I have exactly the same problem which I discovered about a month ago
I have removed the liner and found a non return type drain in the plastic boot well which was blocked with debris,cleared this but that still doesn’t explain how water is getting in,cleaned drain in petrol cap and its fine,car seems fine while just parked even after fairly heavy rain,any advice appreciated

I have exactly the same problem which I discovered about a month ago
I have removed the liner and found a non return type drain in the plastic boot well which was blocked with debris,cleared this but that still doesn’t explain how water is getting in,cleaned drain in petrol cap and its fine,car seems fine while just parked even after fairly heavy rain,any advice appreciated
hi, i am still struggling with this and have not had a chance to get out and check yet due to weather. can i ask how you removed the liner and found the drain in the boot and also how you cleaned the drain in in the petrol cap? thanks

I don't have a w205, but that liner in the bottom of the hollow looks like it's just a loose push fit with some tabs tucked in.
Where do you park your car? Is it subject to prevailing wind due to being park up against an alley way? Is it on a slope? Is there a gutter pouring on to it?

What is the little black trim piece on the rear RHS? Is that just loose?

On my w212 E-class, the liner is held in place with large plastic push rivets that push through the liner facing rearwards, into the plastic lock/load protection strip that houses the lock catch. If you stick your head into the boot and look reward towards the rear bumper, are there any trim clips to pop out? Of any plastic nuts?

Assuming the car is parked on level ground, common leaks around the rear of saloons are as follows:

- you have some gray/dark plastic trim running from each corner of the rear window, around the outside of the boot opening, down over the lights and towards the boot lock/loading protection strip. These strips are help in place with plastic push rivets. You can carefully pop out these rivets and remove the plastic strips and clean under them. Refitting is simply the reverse of removal. I've done this recently but used a tiny smear of black silicon with the hole that holds the rivet in the metal panel of the bodywork. Through that hole that holds the rivet is the boot, so if water is getting past there it's getting into the boot.
- seals around the tail lights.
- mis-alignment of the boot seal itself, lack of seating of the boot seal on the metal panel lip, or filth on the boot seal or the underside of the boot where it comes into contact with the boot seal. Clean up with dilute All Purpose Cleaner and then treat annually with Gummi Pflege to keep supple. Make sure the seal isn't obviously twisted and make sure it's seated properly. Unless the seal is visually out of whack, I'd guess that for a 5 year old car it should still be in good condition.
- Third brake light that is a physical component bonded into the boot itself (this doesn't apply on your car I don't think, so you can ignore this one).
- the silver trim strip across the rear of the boot lid. Or more accurately, leaks through any fixing holes if it has them. Remove the boot lid lining, and try to refit the trim strip and use silicon on the bolts/holes/seals.
- The same as above, but the fixings for the number plate in the rear of the boot lid.

You need to get the thing dried out with a towel, and then get some dark paper towels of something in there all over the place so you can see where the water is coming from. Check it regularly.
If you can get the boot liner out and can confirm the sides of the boot are dry, it can only be coming from something central, and that leaves the boot seal, the silver trim strip, the number plate, and possible the lock.

Good luck with the hunt.

hi, i am still struggling with this and have not had a chance to get out and check yet due to weather. can i ask how you removed the liner and found the drain in the boot and also how you cleaned the drain in in the petrol cap? thanks
Hi,the boot liner is designed to be removed as there are lots of electrics under there,it’s quite flexible and basically pulls out at the edges,once removed you will see the drain in the bottom,pop it out to clean (pops out under car boot and is inserted in the same way
As regards to drain in the petrol flap,open flap and you will see a small hole down on left side,clean it and pour some water down,this should emerge from below if it’s not blocked,mine wasn’t so I am still continuing to search for water ingress
Will keep you posted

Hi,the boot liner is designed to be removed as there are lots of electrics under there,it’s quite flexible and basically pulls out at the edges,once removed you will see the drain in the bottom,pop it out to clean (pops out under car boot and is inserted in the same way
As regards to drain in the petrol flap,open flap and you will see a small hole down on left side,clean it and pour some water down,this should emerge from below if it’s not blocked,mine wasn’t so I am still continuing to search for water ingress
Will keep you posted
Hi,
Just to update,the boot itself is completely dry,I only discovered this when I lifted boot mat,the problem is confined to boot well
Hope this makes sense

I would keep the boot stripped out . Do you have split folding seats ?
If so get someone insode the car to look into the boot whilst you spray water over the boot area to try and locate the leak. Have you ever had any work done to the rear of the car ?

I have exactly this problem in my c63. Problem is that it has leaked through the bottom of the boot and damaged to wiring looms to the exhaust flaps, knackering them in the process. Mercedes are being a bit useless and wanting to change the looms but they haven't found the real problem which is the water leaking in. Any closer to finding how it got in?

Hi all
Thanks for your replies.
Strangely enough i went to check the car to fix this a few weeks back as the weather was good. However I opened the open and lifted the flap and that area was completely dry so now I'm completely baffled. Even two days ago I checked after heavy rainfall and still it was completely dry so not sure what to think. Has it resolved itself? Or did water manage to seep in when it was being washed? Only thing I can think of is it had a jet wash the day I bought it and one since.

Sorry to hear that. How did you notice this and has it caused any problems while driving etc?

Initially I thought I could smell diesel inside the car but now thinking it could be related to this as in water leaking onto hot exhaust and releasing fumes.

Sorry to hear that. How did you notice this and has it caused any problems while driving etc?

Initially I thought I could smell diesel inside the car but now thinking it could be related to this as in water leaking onto hot exhaust and releasing fumes.
Yeah on mine it puts it into a kind of soft limp home mode. Nothing on the dash but the turbo's don't spool up so its way down on top end power, very confusing unless you've had it before which sadly I have.

Glad yours has stopped leaking in though, I'm going to test the two drain holes mentioned (the one in the fuel cap and the one under the boot lining) to try and sort it. Just frustrating that I've got the extra electrics back there and its taken this to find the real problem

Spoke to soon. Literally just went and checked now and there is a massive puddle of water. Guess I will be following the steps above to try and clear out the drain pipes at the weekend. Will keep you posted. Let us know how you get on.

IMG_20210205_153122.jpg

Spoke to soon. Literally just went and checked now and there is a massive puddle of water. Guess I will be following the steps above to try and clear out the drain pipes at the weekend. Will keep you posted. Let us know how you get on.

View attachment 108468
Becoming a goldfish tank :eek:. I'll get a picture of mine tonight to see if its as bad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom