W205 C200 Engine and Transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trueblueips

Car
Ford Focus
Hello, I'm considering getting a used C200 2015 or 2016 plate so new shape with the 2 litre petrol engine and 7G auto transmission.
I only do about 5000 miles a year, mostly urban driving so am discounting diesels.
I can't afford the C43 AMG and sadly there's nothing that sits between that and the C200 (like, say, the BMW 330i).

Is the engine man enough for the car? Performance isn't my main criteria but I don't want something that's sluggish. I'm coming from a 1.6 petrol Focus BTW.

Also, how's the 7G auto transmission? Is it smooth and unintrusive enough? I know it's not as good the ZF system in the BMW but does it perform adequately enough?

Would appreciate any advice on both points. I'll obviously look to test drive one as well.

Thanks,
trueblue

I suggest you test drive one. But it is rated at 180bhp whereas I guess your focus is about 100 - 120 bhp. The 7g transmission is good in my opinion and according to many on here.

The M274 2.0L Turbo engine produces enough power and the car is not sluggish.

It's main weakness is that the power is produced from a highly-tuned 4-cyl as opposed to a more leisurely V6.

So it will have ample grunt, but it won't have the sound, smoothness, and low-rev response of a V6.

Said that, as you pointed-out there's not much choice... and not everyone wants to live with the harsh suspension of an AMG or with the running and maintenance costs.

As for the 7g+ transmission, I have it on my W204 (equipped with the M274 1.6L Turbo engine), and it's fine. Mine shifts harsh for the first two shifts when cold though, something I did not experience with other automatic cars I had before (including my previous W203 with the 5g transmission). Not sure if it's a characteristic or a one -off, at any rate the car is due an ATF change later this year (Year 5 service) so we'll see if this helps. But after the first couple of up-shifts the box is fine and smooth.

I have a 2015 c250d S205 (I know diesel not petrol!) but had a courtesy CLA 180 for four weeks and I found it underpowered for my liking. I know the characteristics of diesel and petrol are different, it went ok when you wound it up and the 7g box was pretty smooth but found it not to be a very engaging drive.
The C200 maybe better but as above test drive one for yourself and see if you like it.

I have a 2016 C200 and find it more than adequate for my driving. 0 to 60 in 7.5 sec isn’t that bad and the fuel economy is excellent. So far it’s been a great car.

Thanks for replies all.
I do love the new C class Mercedes look inside and out. Every time I see one it catches my eye and I stop to look. Sadly, the BMW doesn't have the same effect. The exterior is OK but the interior of the BMW (design, not materials quality) is atrocious IMHO.
I guess a lot is down to personal taste but my driving style, preferences are more suited to the Mercedes I think.

Model of choice now is to get the C200 Sport Premium line to get the panoramic sunroof.

The C200 is more than adequate, being more than capable for your day to day driving. I’d choose one over a 220d or 250d any day. I’ve had 9 now and 4 have been the 9G tronic. It’s definitely a slightly smoother box, but you won’t notice a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I'm considering getting a used C200 2015 or 2016 plate so new shape with the 2 litre petrol engine and 7G auto transmission.
I only do about 5000 miles a year, mostly urban driving so am discounting diesels.
I can't afford the C43 AMG and sadly there's nothing that sits between that and the C200 (like, say, the BMW 330i).

Is a 2015 C350e out of your budget ? Despite having only a 2.0l petrol, the electric motor gives it the shove of a V6 (0 to 60 5.9 secs) plus it is very economical on short urban journey (realistic electic range is 10 miles) plus it comes in Sport guise with air suspension standard.
I googled C350e for sale and came up with this one (there are quite a few) - got 70k on it so price reflects that but it is a Premium Plus Used Mercedes-Benz C Class C350e Sport Premium Plus 4dr Auto Silver Saloon For Sale in Exeter Reg:PJ65 OOG
There are quite a few others with less miles around £ 20k. The same dealer has C200’s which aren’t that much cheaper

I have the M274 ICE in the C350e and apart from the noises it makes, the performance it produces is impressive. The torque curve is literally a flat line from 1200 to 4000 rpm. It’s clearly being limited which suggests there is more in hand too.

MB seem to fiddle with the tune of this engine quite a bit depending on what they put it in, it gives 211bhp/350Nm in the C350e

Shame I’d doesn’t sound nicer though.

I have the M274 ICE in the C350e and apart from the noises it makes, the performance it produces is impressive. The torque curve is literally a flat line from 1200 to 4000 rpm. It’s clearly being limited which suggests there is more in hand too.

MB seem to fiddle with the tune of this engine quite a bit depending on what they put it in, it gives 211bhp/350Nm in the C350e

Shame I’d doesn’t sound nicer though.
Chris-S. Wouldn’t a C200 suffer the same in terms of noise. I agree with you, under acceleration it doesn’t sound a quality car but all other aspects are great. I went into the C350e after 350D CLS and E Class Coupe so it really was noticeable ! I just got an E350e and despite it being quieter it is still gruff

Chris-S. Wouldn’t a C200 suffer the same in terms of noise. I agree with you, under acceleration it doesn’t sound a quality car but all other aspects are great. I went into the C350e after 350D CLS and E Class Coupe so it really was noticeable ! I just got an E350e and despite it being quieter it is still gruff

I’m sure it would, and I’d be really interested to hear opinions from folk who have the M274 in other versions.

I am being very picky, probably because it’s so good apart from that. I’m also spoiled by having run Alfa V6 engines for many years. They sound great.

I had a Vauxhall Omega with the 2.6L V6 NA engine (180 bhp), then a W203 with the M271 1.8L Supercharged 4-Cyl engine (143 bhp), and now a W204 with the M274 1.6L Turbocharged 4-Cyl engine (156 bhp).

Both 4-Cyl engines have ample power, but yes they lack low-end torque compared to the V6 and sound a bit rough when accelerating hard.

Of the two 4-Cyl engines, the M274 is the quieter one, the Supercharged M271 engine was even slightly 'booming'.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 C200 and find it more than adequate for my driving. 0 to 60 in 7.5 sec isn’t that bad and the fuel economy is excellent. So far it’s been a great car.
I know that MPG can vary by driving / driver, etc...but what is your consumption under various conditions? Thanks for any response,

Ernie

I know that MPG can vary by driving / driver, etc...but what is your consumption under various conditions? Thanks for any response,

Ernie
I've had both C200 Petrol with 7G and now 9G. Consumption is almost identical, on a nice A/B Road run I get 40mpg maybe 45mpg on ideal days. Similar on the motorway, but if you go over the motorway speed limit the engine develops a drinking habit and it will drop to 35mpg.
I track all my mileage on Fuelly.com and with town driving added I average around 37mpg.

Ernie
I haven’t yet had a real long drive, but the longest was 15 miles and received 42MPG. My normal driving habit is 2+ miles and then my MPG dropes to about 28 to 30 MPG. Also, I live in London and lots of Traffic.

i have the C200 with 7g and it's fine, and moves off the mark pretty quickly, no lag and even with the engine off in eco mode.

It has brisk rather than rapid midrange due to lower torque, it compensates with the auto box going into a bit of frenzy with high revs when flooring it when overtaking, as it can hang on to high revs when gear changing AFTER the overtaking move and needs a few seconds to calm back down.

If you put it into Sport mode you won't notice the slight mid range deficiency as much as the engine is on boil.
(I came from a 2.4 v6 E class which had more torque)

I agree, the lack of petrol engine choice was frustrating for me. No C250, no C300 or C400 in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom