W205 C220 v C200 122,132 miles to break even

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonecho

Car
W205 C200 petrol
Just been looking at the Honest John website.

C220 Blue TEC 170 Sport Auto 4dr OTR price £33,275
C200 petrol 184 Sport Auto 4dr OTR price £30,765

Allowing for annual VED savings the diesel has to travel 122,132 miles to break even for a driver doing 12,000 per year, which will take over 10 years.

Am I missing something here. Why is the diesel the more popular car when every review mentions that its unrefined noisy diesel engine is the cars weak spot.

I have ordered the C200 petrol :bannana: as I only do 6,000 miles per year but even high mileage drivers seem to be better off with the petrol version.

My grandma always taught me to never trust someone who names themselves 'Honest'.

Maybe because diesel looks cheaper on running. More mpg and lower tax.

I was considering the petrol over the diesel until I saw the hybrid version.

Go on many a forum and the general response will be unless doing over 18k a year then diesel doesn't make sense. Not with the advances in petrol engines in the last few years.

Well that's the strange thing. The higher the annual mileage the more miles you need to do because you have less years to get VED savings. So for 18,000 miles per year it takes 139,046 miles to break even.

Well that's the strange thing. The higher the annual mileage the more miles you need to do because you have less years to get VED savings. So for 18,000 miles per year it takes 139,046 miles to break even.

Are you including depreciation because on average annual mileages this is the *biggest cost* in running a car not VED and fuel.

Now that might change because of changing attitudes to diesels - but the telling aspect has been leasing and financing costs - typically over the last few years the deals on petrol engined cars have been lower spec higher cost per month than diesels.

Am I missing something here. Why is the diesel the more popular car when every review mentions that its unrefined noisy diesel engine is the cars weak spot.

I have ordered the C200 petrol :bannana: as I only do 6,000 miles per year but even high mileage drivers seem to be better off with the petrol version.

I agree. Modern petrol engines have narrowed the efficiency gap with diesels. Bearing in mind diesel fuel is more expensive the overall difference in running costs is not significant especially if you do low annual miles. I chose a C180K petrol. My son has a diesel and hates it. It's fine on the motorway but noisy around town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom