W205 C250 AMG Gearbox Coolant Water Loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plenty of places for a leak then.
Mostly external though. It could be going into the engine through the cooler core (what I call a laminova, but I think that may be a brand name) and out the exhaust as vapour. I still stand by my theory of the pump not running. In that case the local overheating in the laminova will boil the fluid away very quickly.

Mostly external though. It could be going into the engine through the cooler core (what I call a laminova, but I think that may be a brand name) and out the exhaust as vapour. I still stand by my theory of the pump not running. In that case the local overheating in the laminova will boil the fluid away very quickly.
I asked before, is the pump plastic in that year and model? A well documented fault with a metal replacement part.

I asked before, is the pump plastic in that year and model? A well documented fault with a metal replacement part.
It’s an electric pump. It’s not the engine coolant pump. Different pump, different water circuit. The belt driven engine coolant pumps are indeed known for trouble. It isn’t that.

...If the water has been going through the engine for so many months / miles I just wonder if there will be any long term damage to the engine?

Not necessarily. Water injection is actually common in some sport applications, see for example:

With well over 3000 miles since the new charge pressure cooler fitted and not one drop of water lost or needed to be added so problem finally resolved thankfully. Still seems strange that this loss of water didn't throw up one error message nor show any symptoms / faults. If I hadn't been so observant and persistent to get it diagnosed / fixed I wonder how long the car would have lasted for before something going bang?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom