W205 C300h Tyre Wear Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moff

Car
C63 AMG Coupe
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a known issue but my Googling hasn't proved succesful...

My dad owns a W205 C300h and the tyre wear has been horrific. Now he normally gets 25k min from his tyres and on the C300h it has chewed them down to 2.5mm in 8k miles.

He's complained but it's falling on deaf ears.

Any other experience on this??

Also I advised him to change to non-run flats which I have done on my BMW 640 but Mercedes (dealer) told him the car would not be accepted back as it MUST by on RFT's. They also mentioned that the car was designed for RFT's!!!

I'm calling BS on this since cars with 18"s have non RFT's!! Also if he changed to winter tyres they would be non-RFT's!!!

It's really annoying me, any help gratefully appreciated.

Fronts and rears? Or just the rears? Is the wear even across the tyres? What is his typical journey, town or motorway?

Sounds similar to posts about the C350e. Some people are getting 8,000 miles, some are getting 28,000. There's a lot of weight in those batteries, but it doesn't explain the difference between drivers.

What make tyres are they? I have seen Bridgestone, Hankook and Continentals as OEM so far. Incidentally you can get RFT winter tyres, so don't use that as an argument.

Fronts and rears? Or just the rears? Is the wear even across the tyres? What is his typical journey, town or motorway?

Good questions, but the same driving as he previously did in his W204 C350 CDI. So x-country A and B roads and doesn't accelerate hard.

Tyre wear bad across all but slightly worse on outer side of left front which is likely the roundabout effect with the added weight of the batteries?

Sounds similar to posts about the C350e. Some people are getting 8,000 miles, some are getting 28,000. There's a lot of weight in those batteries, but it doesn't explain the difference between drivers.

What make tyres are they? I have seen Bridgestone, Hankook and Continentals as OEM so far. Incidentally you can get RFT winter tyres, so don't use that as an argument.

Conti's I think - will check

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a known issue but my Googling hasn't proved succesful...

My dad owns a W205 C300h and the tyre wear has been horrific. Now he normally gets 25k min from his tyres and on the C300h it has chewed them down to 2.5mm in 8k miles.

He's complained but it's falling on deaf ears.

Any other experience on this??

Also I advised him to change to non-run flats which I have done on my BMW 640 but Mercedes (dealer) told him the car would not be accepted back as it MUST by on RFT's. They also mentioned that the car was designed for RFT's!!!

I'm calling BS on this since cars with 18"s have non RFT's!! Also if he changed to winter tyres they would be non-RFT's!!!

It's really annoying me, any help gratefully appreciated.
Hi,my C300h went in for it's first service a few weeks ago and has 12,000 miles on the clock,on the service report there was 5mm left on both front and 4 mm on both rears(rears wear more because the hybrid battery is heavy and in the boot) so reckon that works out to around 18,000 before they need changing-the run flat thing is bs,mine are Bridgestone non run flats all round from new.

Hi,my C300h went in for it's first service a few weeks ago and has 12,000 miles on the clock,on the service report there was 5mm left on both front and 4 mm on both rears(rears wear more because the hybrid battery is heavy and in the boot) so reckon that works out to around 18,000 before they need changing-the run flat thing is bs,mine are Bridgestone non run flats all round from new.

Is it on 19"s too?

Unless there's a significant pattern to the wear MB will simply say it's normal and as use is beyond their control it's just down to driving style..

Other's have also reported heavy tyre wear in similar models either h or e types. Both have very strong torque available from standstill so may be expected

Just to add in my experience Pirelli wear much faster than other makes. They are also crap in the wet...

Is it on 19"s too?

No 18"s but shouldn't make too much difference other than ride comfort compromised a little I would imagine......

I'm wondering if the Pirelli's are a softer compound as I've found that to be my experience on other cars??

The Goodyear RFT's get a good review on Blackcircles...

I'm wondering if the Pirelli's are a softer compound as I've found that to be my experience on other cars??

The Goodyear RFT's get a good review on Blackcircles...

Continentals are my choice when replacing-would your dad not change from run flats,the ride with 19"s must be harsh too?

Continentals are my choice when replacing-would your dad not change from run flats,the ride with 19"s must be harsh too?

I've suggested that (did the same with 20" RFT's to non).

But MB (dealer) are saying that they will not allow the car to be handed back at the end of the PCP if he decided to do that without changing the tyres back.

I can only talk from my recent experience with BMW but they told me that they didn't care as long as it had 4 decent legal tyres!

I've suggested that (did the same with 20" RFT's to non).

But MB (dealer) are saying that they will not allow the car to be handed back at the end of the PCP if he decided to do that without changing the tyres back.

I can only talk from my recent experience with BMW but they told me that they didn't care as long as it had 4 decent legal tyres!

I know there's no spare with c300h(just a tyre fit kit),maybe to do with the 19"s that they're run flats fitted but only seen other c300h's with 18"s and non run flats-strange!

It's worth double checking that they really are runflats and the dealer isn't just making it up as they go along. :crazy:

I know there's no spare with c300h(just a tyre fit kit),maybe to do with the 19"s that they're run flats fitted but only seen other c300h's with 18"s and non run flats-strange!

Good point, if one does change away from run-flats make sure to get a spare and jack/tools kit

Yeah they are RFT's :(

We were together when i noticed his front tyre wear looked bad and then he told me he had only done 7k miles and I was shocked.

I drove pretty fast when I had my C63 and still managed 16k from my fronts (9k on the rears), so 7k to be at tread markers for someone driving Miss Daisy is shocking really.

If he decides to stick with RFT's I've found the GY Asymmetric 2's for £794 for all 4 fitted.

MB have offered some pitiful RFT at 'cost' for £850 which isn't really acceptable.

Good point, if one does change away from run-flats make sure to get a spare and jack/tools kit

Yeah I've got a kit from Halfords with some gel and a special compressor.

Ultimately I'll just get BMW Assist to 'rescue' me as they confirmed that they will do in the event of a puncture.

Not sure if MB Assist would do the same but probably would.

Yeah I've got a kit from Halfords with some gel and a special compressor.

Ultimately I'll just get BMW Assist to 'rescue' me as they confirmed that they will do in the event of a puncture.

Not sure if MB Assist would do the same but probably would.

Mb assist will cover punctures(I'm told they carry space savers in the event of a blowout to get you to a tyre fitter then they collect it at your convenience)-I hate driving around without a spare though tbh......

Just had my rears replaced for the first time on my C300h. 23,000 miles and Michelins were the originals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom