W205 C63 Cupholder cover won't stay closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
Hi all

I've had a mask stored in the cupholder area in my W205 C63. It got stuck on something at the weekend and when I got it free, this part fell out and now the lid won't stay shut.

I suspect that this is the longest of long shots, but has anyone got a diagram of the parts in question so I can see how to put it back?

It's driving me nuts!!

IMG_2213.jpg

Same thing happened to me a while ago. If I remember correctly the lid comes off from underneath. Look for a ridge underneath and you can pry it up and it slides off. Sorry can’t remember where the 12v socket unplugs, must be a cable somewhere? Good luck.

You’ll likely find the bits of plastic that hold the pin in have broken too, and it won’t stay in. A new unit is surprisingly inexpensive from mercedes, about £37 iirc. Common problem, I’ve replaced a few.
Plug comes off the 12v socket at 90 degrees to the axis of the cylinder. You expect to pull it straight off the bottom, but it comes off to the side.

You’ll likely find the bits of plastic that hold the pin in have broken too, and it won’t stay in. A new unit is surprisingly inexpensive from mercedes, about £37 iirc. Common problem, I’ve replaced a few.
Plug comes off the 12v socket at 90 degrees to the axis of the cylinder. You expect to pull it straight off the bottom, but it comes off to the side.
Thanks for the info. Don't suppose you've got a part number, or an image of the part so I can get one? There are a few complete units on eBay but they seem to be silly money....

Part number here. Looked back, my memory not so good. Last one I bought from merc was £79
Great, many thanks. I'll try to get to the back of mine first in case the piece will go back in. The ones I looked at were more expensive than that, probably as they were subject to "AMG tax" 😤

Part number here. Looked back, my memory not so good. Last one I bought from merc was £79
Are the parts the same across the whole W205 range? In other words is the AMG badge on mine simply stuck on?

I can see plenty for around £40 on eBay, but the AMG versions seem to be more like £250?

Are the parts the same across the whole W205 range? In other words is the AMG badge on mine simply stuck on?

I can see plenty for around £40 on eBay, but the AMG versions seem to be more like £250?
Anyone able to offer any help with this please??

I dont know the answer but I suspect the lid is a standard part and the badge is stuck on. I think I have seen the badges for the lids on eBay, genuine ones, so must be stuck on surely.

As yours is broken try to pull the amp badge off then you will know.

Be very wary of buying used stuff like this on Ebay - as Jobsworth pointed out buying new from MB is usually cheaper than the tatty stuff appearing on line. (some sellers in Germany try to get 2 or 3 times the price of a new one or even more). The whole trim piece will slide off the mechanism so no need to try and remove the badge.

Be very wary of buying used stuff like this on Ebay - as Jobsworth pointed out buying new from MB is usually cheaper than the tatty stuff appearing on line. (some sellers in Germany try to get 2 or 3 times the price of a new one or even more). The whole trim piece will slide off the mechanism so no need to try and remove the badge.
Thanks all. I've been ignoring it of late, but will try to take it out this weekend and see if I can get the front lid off. If I can, I may get a new unit from Merc and see if the front lid is interchangeable.

That’s brilliant and hugely helpful. Two questions;

1. How do I get the lid off as in your photo?

Thanks again, I think you’ve cracked it

If I remember when I stripped mine to have it dipped, you grab it and slide it towards you (towards the armrest) and it pops off.

Watch the video below......this is the technique I used and it worked.

As for the chrome AMG badge, I purchased the stick on one from Ebay and it looks fine.....Had my W205 C43 Piano Black Centre Console Hydro Dipped | Interior

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
If I remember when I stripped mine to have it dipped, you grab it and slide it towards you (towards the armrest) and it pops off.

Watch the video below......this is the technique I used and it worked.

As for the chrome AMG badge, I purchased the stick on one from Ebay and it looks fine.....Had my W205 C43 Piano Black Centre Console Hydro Dipped | Interior

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You are an absolute star. I've just managed to pull the top of the lid off, and the pin went back in first time.

Lid now opens and closes as it should.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice.

Now, if I can stop the "auxiliary battery malfunction" warning .....

Christmas greetings from the US all:

My W205 C300 lid also won't stay closed, due to a collection of things that slipped back there, and my trying to close it one too many times before extracting them. My problem is that I cant get the cover off no matter how hard I pull. Everything I can see has been removed. The video is poorly lit and narrated in Japanese, but he appears to simply pull it off the hinges. Am I missing something?

Hey I’m new here. I’m having the same problem but my pin is still in its place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom