W205 C63 Front disc and pad change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And now I have an Auxillary Battery Malfunction warning, think I'll give the main battery a good charge and see where I stand with that!
It’s going to be the capacitor unit in the end of the passenger footwell. Not the end of the world.

Just picking this up again.

Merc parts on eBay seem like an option, although they are around £540 for the pair. I've then seen ATE at Euro Car Parts (£264) or Delphi at GSF (£190) and also Mintex on eBay at £142.

When I had my rears changed I used ATE from ECP and I'm tempted back towards them, however they don't appear to sell pads.

Does anyone have experience of Delphi and/or Mintex??
Get the correct ones TRW from auto doc

It’s going to be the capacitor unit in the end of the passenger footwell. Not the end of the world.
If you've got the small second battery in the boot it means it needs changing. If you don't have the second battery then just ignore everything I've just said!

Mercedes don't make pads or discs or even callipers. They use the manufacturer TRW Yiu can get them from the auto doc appt

Yes that is true but, component manufacturers are given the contracts by car manufacturers to produce the components to a specific standard and brand them with the car manufacturer brand. Hence fitment and performance of the component is guaranteed.

On an AMG my advice would be either you buy a better aftermarket component or stick with the original, expecially on a key component such as brakes.

Also if your car goes in to a dealership for fault investigation, they will not support you if aftermarket components are fitted and that also applies to any warrantys supplied by the dealership.

Not much point in buying expensive high performance vehicles and trying to save pennies on parts.

Best place is auto doc. They take a few days to come. Mercedes use TRW discs pads and callipers
As I said previously, I have just received my pads from a MB dealer and they are Ferodo, no brand name on discs though.

I've previously had Ferodo pads, clearly marked as such, as original-fit on a new Mercedes.

Re the discs, when I was at the Stuttgart factory (a few years ago) I was told that MB had their own foundry and produced their own discs. Whether that applied to all vehicles or not wasn't discussed and as I didn't visit the foundry, I can't be sure whether it was an accurate statement (I don't think there was any confusion in translation).

What I do know is that all of the genuine MB discs that I've had have always been finished differently to any aftermarket, but major-supplier, discs - although that proves nothing, of course.

Genuine Ferodo Eco Friction :D
Well that will teach me not to assume. So the rear pads I received from MB were Ferodo but when I went to fit the front ones they were Brembo!
It seems that MB are sourcing their pads from all over these days. I know Brembo are pretty good pads but I do find them bloody dusty though.

Well that will teach me not to assume. So the rear pads I received from MB were Ferodo but when I went to fit the front ones they were Brembo!
It seems that MB are sourcing their pads from all over these days. I know Brembo are pretty good pads but I do find them bloody dusty though.
Mercedes will always have multiple OEM suppliers for any parts - you’ll see cars coming from the factory with different branded tyres. They will be made by different parts suppliers to the same specification set by Mercedes. Pads made by Brembo and Ferodo for Mercedes will probably have more in common than pads made by Ferodo for Mercedes and Aftermarket.

It makes good business sense - especially for just-in-time manufacturers - to have multiple suppliers capable of (and actively) supplying the same parts. Volumes involved mean that Mercedes can achieve (very close to) the same volume discounts even when splitting between multiple suppliers, and then achieve even more discount by ensuring that there is competition in pricing - overall less expensive.

However as well as the benefit of competition between suppliers it also mitigates supply chain risks, for example scalability to deal with unanticipated increases in demand, an alternative in case of a pervasive manufacturing fault, and continuity of supply in the event of a problem with one supplier - which is essential to keep production lines moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom