W205 C63 - M0 or not M0...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogsdad

Car
Mercedes C63 AMG
Hi All,

I recently had my car serviced at my local MB dealership and (what a surprise) I need new rear tyres.

They offered me non M0 tyres which would have been different to the fronts which still have reasonable tread, so I declined, thinking I would be able to find replacements online, however there doesn't seem to be much availability. I'm currently on Bridgestone Potenza S001s which are M0 rated.

I previously owned a couple of 911 turbos and there is a lot of "snobbery" towards "N" rated (the equivalent of M0) tyres amongst Porsche owners which got me wondering....

Do I need to go for M0 tyres on my C63?

Cheers

Tricky one.

The issue with MO tyres is that the choice is very limited.

I believe while most people would ideally prefer to have MO tyres, in practice I suspect that the majority of C63 owners will be very particular about the make and model of tyres they use, and opt for the tyre of their choice even if it is not available as MO.

Hi All,

I recently had my car serviced at my local MB dealership and (what a surprise) I need new rear tyres.

They offered me non M0 tyres which would have been different to the fronts which still have reasonable tread, so I declined, thinking I would be able to find replacements online, however there doesn't seem to be much availability. I'm currently on Bridgestone Potenza S001s which are M0 rated.

I previously owned a couple of 911 turbos and there is a lot of "snobbery" towards "N" rated (the equivalent of M0) tyres amongst Porsche owners which got me wondering....

Do I need to go for M0 tyres on my C63?

Cheers
In the absence of a strong personal preference a particular tyre manufacturer and tyre design, then going for MO tyres probably be a safe bet, as I suspect you’re aware, they’re engineered to compliment the Mercedes “house” style for handling, stiffness, comfort, noise, etc.

However the differences between the average MO and a non-MO tyre will be less significant than between the average Nx and a non-Nx, due to the mid or rear engine layout on Porsche sports cars. Tyres for Porsche saloon and SUV tyres have more in common with those specified by other manufacturers.

For those who think there’s no difference and it’s spiel you trick you into spending more money, then get yourself along to the Pirelli Performance Centre in Burton-upon-Trent to compare cutaways of the same tyre specified by four different car manufacturers.

There’s nothing wrong with deliberately opting for a non-MO tyre, as long as you’re doing it deliberately and not accidentally. For example there are no warranty implications with Mercedes - whereas Porsche have been known to decline warranty claims due to non-Nx rated tyres!

whereas Porsche have been known to decline warranty claims due to non-Nx rated tyres!

never heard this. However, warranty cannot be renewed if non N rated tyres fitted .. if you are unlucky enough to deal with a box ticking Porsche Center

In the absence of a strong personal preference a particular tyre manufacturer and tyre design, then going for MO tyres probably be a safe bet, as I suspect you’re aware, they’re engineered to compliment the Mercedes “house” style for handling, stiffness, comfort, noise, etc.

However the differences between the average MO and a non-MO tyre will be less significant than between the average Nx and a non-Nx, due to the mid or rear engine layout on Porsche sports cars. Tyres for Porsche saloon and SUV tyres have more in common with those specified by other manufacturers.

For those who think there’s no difference and it’s spiel you trick you into spending more money, then get yourself along to the Pirelli Performance Centre in Burton-upon-Trent to compare cutaways of the same tyre specified by four different car manufacturers.

There’s nothing wrong with deliberately opting for a non-MO tyre, as long as you’re doing it deliberately and not accidentally. For example there are no warranty implications with Mercedes - whereas Porsche have been known to decline warranty claims due to non-Nx rated tyres!
That's very helpful, thank you. It was the warranty issue which I was concerned about, even though mine is coming towards the end. I guessed, as the dealership offered me non M0 tyres that it couldn't be too much of an issue, but it's good to hear that it isn't.

I'll probably try and find some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's which i had on the last Turbo

That's very helpful, thank you. It was the warranty issue which I was concerned about, even though mine is coming towards the end. I guessed, as the dealership offered me non M0 tyres that it couldn't be too much of an issue, but it's good to hear that it isn't.

I'll probably try and find some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's which i had on the last Turbo
I’m not aware of any warranty implications with Mercedes. I’ve bought Mercedes with new non MO tyres several times now - but only SUVs though.

Just read the reviews on the tyres you're interested in and forget whether they are MO or not, I would prefer a non MO Michelin to an MO Bridgestone any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom