W205 C63S Dashcam Wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Y3CHR

Car
C63S Premium, Huracan Performante, Discovery 5
Hello All,

I have done a quick search and cannot find an answer, very possible i've missed it so apologies if this topic has been covered.

I am looking to install a dashcam to my C63S with hardwire kit. Now looking at the Mercedes manuals it would appear that there is a number of fusebox locations with the main being in the boot, my question is that for the switched live to power the dashcam, has anyone used the folowing as their power source:
MF2/2Audio/COMAND control panel
Touchpad

I am assuming this to be switched live and it is located in the cockpit fuse box. I am not with the car at the minute as i am abroad and just mulling things over for when i get back, i am aware that it would be simple enough to just use a volt stick on my return but just wondered if others had experience.

Thanks

I use a power supply that plugs in to the obd port and has a built in switch for ignition or permanent live.
2017 C300h

All too techy for me even though I did hardwire my own Nextbase dashcam.

I use a power supply that plugs in to the obd port and has a built in switch for ignition or permanent live.
2017 C300h
Yeah I have read about the OBD, just keen to keep the wires hidden and utilise the fuse box on the side of the dash. I'll have a look with a Volt Stick when I get back

Have a look at this video. This is how I did mine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have a look at this video. This is how I did mine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Spot on, thanks for that

I recently installed a (Vantrue N4) 3-channel dahcam to my S212.

When I ordered I included a dedicated hard-wire kit....with a view to connecting it to a permanent live fuse.

I sent the hardwire kit back....this means I don't currently have parking mode. I have used the 12v socket in the glove box. Camera turns on and off with ignition.

My reasoning in doing so was because I saw info online re the alleged potential impact on car battery. The hard-wire kt I ordered had a cut-off of 11.6v...this being the point at which the battery ceases to power parking mode. The issue for me is that regularly allowing the car battery to drop to 11.6v is not acceptable....for me !

I have seen various figures online but there seems to be a consistent message that at low ambient external temperatures the battery regularly dropping to 11.6v is not good for battery health. No good having parking mode and a knackered battery.

Link below.......scroll to see info on hardwire kits. programmable hardwire kits can be sourced. Others use external battery packs.

I recently installed a (Vantrue N4) 3-channel dahcam to my S212.

When I ordered I included a dedicated hard-wire kit....with a view to connecting it to a permanent live fuse.

I sent the hardwire kit back....this means I don't currently have parking mode. I have used the 12v socket in the glove box. Camera turns on and off with ignition.

My reasoning in doing so was because I saw info online re the alleged potential impact on car battery. The hard-wire kt I ordered had a cut-off of 11.6v...this being the point at which the battery ceases to power parking mode. The issue for me is that regularly allowing the car battery to drop to 11.6v is not acceptable....for me !

I have seen various figures online but there seems to be a consistent message that at low ambient external temperatures the battery regularly dropping to 11.6v is not good for battery health. No good having parking mode and a knackered battery.

Link below.......scroll to see info on hardwire kits. programmable hardwire kits can be sourced. Others use external battery packs.

A switchable setup is good for this reason. Parking mode may not be required all of the time, for example if parked in a garage or driveway. Also it parked for more than a few hours, then for much of that time the camera won’t record anyway because the battery will reach the pre-defined cutout voltage surprisingly quickly..

Reactions: AW8
I'm wondering if the solution would be fitting one of those USB battery banks that you can buy. Would it be sufficient to run the camera for the extended period required. If the battery pack was used to power the camera and then the battery pack itself was also wired to the switched socket, it would recharge the battery pack each time the ignition was switched on.

There are some critical comments re lithium packs & their safety of use......The link I posted has info re same.

Hi
I will be fitting my Blackvue dash cam in my E in the next week or so, and will be using fuse taps, with a Power Magic Pro have been watching a lot of videos, and it is quite frightening how many people using the fuse taps don't mention how important the correct orientation is, deciding on the taps orientation being driven by the route of the cable of the tap leaving the fuse box.
The wrong way and the fuse isn't in circuit.
Just something to be aware of guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom