W205 C63S - do you use the eco stop/start function?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
As per title, just wondering if anyone in a C63 actually uses to eco stop/start function?
If so - does it increase MPG much?
My wife has an Evoque and Jersey driving returns terrible mpg.........we normally switch if off.
But last week left it on as an experiment and MPG went from 26 to 28.
Still not great - but a marked percentage better anyway.
So was just interested to know if anyone uses it in their AMG's?

Ditto on mine. If I were to use the SLK for a long motorway slog, I'd leave it on for the cylinder bank shutdown just to see how much difference it made, but I suspect it wouldn't make a lot. I don't use it on the CLS either.

I should add, though, I don't drive much in stop-start traffic. If I did, I might feel a bit guilty...or not.

Last edited:
Quote surprising with the current cost of fuel... Lucky to be in a position where fuel cost and mpg don't matter to you. I bet it's used more by owners of some of the "lesser" models. I have access to about 10 vehicles....none of them even have that feature and I've never owned one that has!
EDIT....one does.... Golf GTD.....but I haven't driven that one since it was new in 2017!

I drive all sorts of hire cars while away on business and it's the first thing I turn off ...and I am not even paying for the fuel ! I just find the function nothing but annoying and and am happy none of our cars are new enough to have it installed .

But this has been discussed before , and will always will be....

I use mine all the time. I don't find it particularly intrusive either. The thing is, if I want to do a bit of 'spirited' driving, i'll be in S+ and that disables start/stop anyway so its a absolutely no issue to me.

A figure I once saw quoted (albeit by Audi) is that if the engine is off for more than 7 seconds, you are saving fuel/money. I have never measured things on mine but I can't see how it wouldn't help to have the engine off in heavy traffic at every available opportunity.

EDIT....one does.... Golf GTD.....but I haven't driven that one since it was new in 2017!
2017?? Crikey my wife gives me a hard time for having cars we don’t use for long periods but I’m talking 5 months rather than 5 years!!

I don’t object to stop-start in the right circumstances, ie heavy traffic, but in normal urban driving when you might stop for a few seconds only, then it can be frustrating for some people. That can be reduced with improved anticipation to slow down but avoid stopping but I do understand why some can become frustrated.

2017?? Crikey my wife gives me a hard time for having cars we don’t use for long periods but I’m talking 5 months rather than 5 years!!
LOL....I meant its on the company car fleet....and others are always driving it....I usually need a pickup........the Golf wont tow a twin axle too well!!

A figure I once saw quoted (albeit by Audi) is that if the engine is off for more than 7 seconds, you are saving fuel/money. I have never measured things on mine but I can't see how it wouldn't help to have the engine off in heavy traffic at every available opportunity.
Engineering Explained came up with a figure of about 7s through testing.

The reason you wouldn't want to continously stop/start is because it's likely to cost you more in extra maintenance on items like the auxiliary battery and starter motor than the fuel saving cost.

Our Audi A3 has it and I turn it off when I get in, but I actually actively turn it on if I'm sat at traffic lights. That's the only time I use it and it makes a small difference but most drivers are far too unengaged to employ it themselves so the default is on...

Not an E63 but mine doesn't work most of the time anyway, always catches me out when on the odd occasion it does.

Engineering Explained came up with a figure of about 7s through testing.

The reason you wouldn't want to continously stop/start is because it's likely to cost you more in extra maintenance on items like the auxiliary battery and starter motor than the fuel saving cost.

Our Audi A3 has it and I turn it off when I get in, but I actually actively turn it on if I'm sat at traffic lights. That's the only time I use it and it makes a small difference but most drivers are far too unengaged to employ it themselves so the default is on...
I see your reasoning. I started driving cars with S/S functionality in 2011 and never had a problem with the system on any of them, until my current car. The issue I had was a noisy starter bendix (screeching on start), due to the lubrication drying out, which ironically was because of lack of day to day use of the system :D Only happened when S/S was enabled, never got it when starting from cold.

It's likely to be a slightly different starting routine between from off and S/S. From off it can crank a short time before firing. S/S especially the cleverer systems fire up within a revolution.

It's likely to be a slightly different starting routine between from off and S/S. From off it can crank a short time before firing. S/S especially the cleverer systems fire up within a revolution.
Yeah, thats what I understand from reading about it - it either doesn't use the traditional starter or uses some other method. Would only do it when it was at operating temperature too.

It's on my wife's Fiat 500 and on all the time. I really like it. As I do in any car I've tried it in except for a 212 250 CDI loaner I once had. The peaceful silence at rest was endlessly punctuated by the noise that sounded a conrod had gone through the block. I turned it off every time I used that car.

Annoyingly, my E500 has the right battery for it but none of the gubbins. I'd use it in that if I had it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom