W205 C63s Estate Luggage/Cargo Cover fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vtwin

Car
C63s estate SL500 Milli Miglia
Hello. When I bought my 2016 W205 C63s Estate with 28,000 miles (privately), unbeknownst to me it had an intermittent fault with the electric retractable luggage / cargo cover. It became apparent the cover wasn't automatically retracting every time. The car is in perfect condition and working order in every other way. Initially I thought the fault was because the cassette was not located properly in the left side lock. The cassette is properly located in the lock. Most times when I first use the tailgate ie when the car is cold in the garage, the cover does not automatically retract however once I operate it manually, and open / close the tailgate, the cover usually retracts as it should nearly 100% of the time. Sometimes the cover retracts automatically from cold but most times does not.
The car has been to Mercedes-Benz Brooklands for service and the fault pointed out to the STM. The engineer who serviced the car examined the mechanism and reported the LHS release was not always working. I was told new rails were needed at cost close to £800 (YIKES) Surely it is unacceptable for this part to fail at such a young age and with so little use. There is very little information on this problem so i assume this is a rare fault. I'm not about to drop £800 on a fix when the fault could be repaired but trying to find out how the mechanism works is eluding me. I am thinking of setting up a camera inside the cargo area and filming the mechanism working to see if the times when it doesn't work if the cover lug is catching on something thus preventing it from retracting 100% of the time. If i can trim away the offending piece then the fault could then be resolved. Does this sound feasible?
Any ideas welcome Thanks

Did you get a solution to your auto lift cover not working? My 2014 S212 has the issue, except mine does not work at all :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom