W205 C63S noisy pano roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Hello all,
Looking for advice on noisy pano roof on W205 C63S (2015 saloon).
Pano roof when closed is "rattly" - silent when tilted up - so looking for a cause.
Seems different to the "creaking" I experienced on old E63, which I remedied by cleaning and lubing rails and rubbers.
Have tried this and still there, so seems more of a rattle rather than a creak of old rubber seals rubbing together.
Any ideas? Not always the right weather to have the roof tilted up to keep it quiet.
Maybe there is a better lube/grease to try instead (I've used gummi and the rubber already).
Thank you.

Hello all,
Looking for advice on noisy pano roof on W205 C63S (2015 saloon).
Pano roof when closed is "rattly" - silent when tilted up - so looking for a cause.
Seems different to the "creaking" I experienced on old E63, which I remedied by cleaning and lubing rails and rubbers.
Have tried this and still there, so seems more of a rattle rather than a creak of old rubber seals rubbing together.
Any ideas? Not always the right weather to have the roof tilted up to keep it quiet.
Maybe there is a better lube/grease to try instead (I've used gummi and the rubber already).
Thank you.
I get a similar sound in my 2017 car - but then I get quite a few interior noises anyway. Always sounds like its coming from above my head though, so perhaps its the same issue. Must try the tilt though, I only tend to have it fully open or completely closed.

I get a similar sound in my 2017 car - but then I get quite a few interior noises anyway. Always sounds like its coming from above my head though, so perhaps its the same issue. Must try the tilt though, I only tend to have it fully open or completely closed.

Nowhere near as quiet as my old E63, generally a much creakier car as it’s a lot stiffer I guess…….roof is annoying. Open or tilted is fine, closed isn’t 😩

Nowhere near as quiet as my old E63, generally a much creakier car as it’s a lot stiffer I guess…….roof is annoying. Open or tilted is fine, closed isn’t 😩
Must admit, the amount of interior noise shocked me at first, but i've gotten used to it now. Had the same on an E46 M3 I had, but strangely never on my old C36. Although as I like to drive in S+ a lot, all the noises are even more exaggerated, a trade-off really for what is otherwise a very capable car.

Must admit, the amount of interior noise shocked me at first, but i've gotten used to it now. Had the same on an E46 M3 I had, but strangely never on my old C36. Although as I like to drive in S+ a lot, all the noises are even more exaggerated, a trade-off really for what is otherwise a very capable car.

Having come from the M156 E63 have to say I like the smaller turbo engine more just as much, just taking a while getting used to the creaks and the roof rattle 😂

MB have a specific paste for sunroofs. what "lube" are you using.

I've found silicone spray to work better on the sunroof seals than Gummi pflege

Make sure you've got all of the seals. There's one on the outer side and another on the inner side. The rear of the outer seal can be accessed through tilting the sunroof. The inner seal can be accessed from inside the car when sunroof is open

You can also put a strip of felt tape on the underside of the actual sunroof when it's tilted. Mine never rattled but I plastered it in felt tape just to make sure it wasn't the sunroof when I hear a rattle elsewhere

There's also felt tape at the front of the sunroof area in the plastic moulding from factory in 4 locations which could have perished.

Additionally if you're finding the door seals creaking, felt tape around the top of the doors cures it.

In general the build quality of the W205 is quite poor. My W204 coupe didn't rattle this much and we've got 3 Lexus in the family which are solidly built so it was a bit disappointing for me initially too as I bought the car unseen from a main dealer quite far away

Managed to sort out most of my rattles though so happy in that sense

Make sure you've got all of the seals. There's one on the outer side and another on the inner side. The rear of the outer seal can be accessed through tilting the sunroof. The inner seal can be accessed from inside the car when sunroof is open

You can also put a strip of felt tape on the underside of the actual sunroof when it's tilted. Mine never rattled but I plastered it in felt tape just to make sure it wasn't the sunroof when I hear a rattle elsewhere

There's also felt tape at the front of the sunroof area in the plastic moulding from factory in 4 locations which could have perished.

Additionally if you're finding the door seals creaking, felt tape around the top of the doors cures it.

In general the build quality of the W205 is quite poor. My W204 coupe didn't rattle this much and we've got 3 Lexus in the family which are solidly built so it was a bit disappointing for me initially too as I bought the car unseen from a main dealer quite far away

Thanks for that. Will try as you’ve suggested.

Good call on the tape! Anti rattle tape purchased from Amazon applied to the underside of the glass all round et voila…no more noise with roof closed. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom