W205 C63S 'things'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So...almost 2000 miles down, diff oil change booked in for Friday. It's s great car and yes the looks from the rear are not fantastic but it is still a stand out car - it has some presence. The coupe will be amazing as it will look better but still have the fantastic exhaust sound, especially the rifle shot misfires when you let off the throttle.

I do have creaks and other noises, worse in the morning - check out this short video from this morning on the way to the gym, gong about 5 mph over speed bumps - creak from dash and then some other 'rattle' noise that seems to be coming through the steering column area...it's not a deal breaker for me, just thought I would share to compare with others:

Ahh that noise will drive me mad where i live there are million speed bumps. I guess you hear it more with music down.

To date my C63S is running well, oil change on the diff done - although I did have to persuade them it was required.

Things to be sorted still, thankfully no rattles.... However, can you all check your air intakes, particularly the righthand side as you look at the engine.... Mine is beginning to collapse/melt. Rapid demister switch not working and finally a small gripe with the paint - looks like dust particles trapped under the base colour coat.

So car is going back to be remedied on 21st Nov

Steve

To date my C63S is running well, oil change on the diff done - although I did have to persuade them it was required.

Things to be sorted still, thankfully no rattles.... However, can you all check your air intakes, particularly the righthand side as you look at the engine.... Mine is beginning to collapse/melt. Rapid demister switch not working and finally a small gripe with the paint - looks like dust particles trapped under the base colour coat.

So car is going back to be remedied on 21st Nov

Steve

Not sure my car which is used to get me back and forth to the dealership will have had chance to melt yet but I'll have a look. In fairness I do smell a hot maybe plastic smell on occasions when parking up but haven't had it for a while as haven't really had the car to use for a long time.

Mind posting a picture so know just what you mean here? Doesn't sound good though!

There is absolutely no way I would accept a car of this value that had rattles.

My hearing is poor so I probably wouldn't notice though!

I'll grab a pic shortly, think I sent one to the dealer in advance of my oil change.

Steve

There is absolutely no way I would accept a car of this value that had rattles.

My hearing is poor so I probably wouldn't notice though!

This is a tricky one. I'd accept some rattles but the door one is extra annoying to me so I won't accept it.

The problem is it got to the point that I asked for the car to be replaced or refunded after 8 odd visits and the car having more time at the dealer than I've had it. They won't do it though because they say the car is fixed. I've road tested it with 2 of their guys and despite occasions where I could hear it quite loudly they claim they heard nothing. So no replacement or refund because the car isn't faulty...

That evening the car refused to switch off the interior lighting when locking. In the end it started working after my wife sat in the passenger seat. Got a message on the screen about passenger airbag activation and then worked OK after that. Previously my 8 year old had sat in that seat so maybe the sensor that detects if someone in that seat isn't working right and didn't quite pick him up? Worrying.

Oh and with regards to the door noise. Posted it on the US forum with my video and a guy from Scotland I believe confirmed his C63 did exactly the same thing. His dealer found that there's a screw missing in all the doors that holds the trim together other than it just clicking into place. Once they put a screw in the problem went away. I've had 8 visits with no solution so I'll be extra annoyed if there's a screw missing in the doors and they didn't even notice.

Still want a refund. Had enough with it all. It's been a horrible experience. :(

Next step is I have to take it to the dealership in Norwich where I brought the car from as even though Peterborough is the same company they say they cannot help me anymore. I'm pretty sure legally this shouldn't be the case as I'm taking the car to the company I brought it from, even if it isn't the location I brought it from.

Last edited:
Next step is I have to take it to the dealership in Norwich where I brought the car from as even though Peterborough is the same company they say they cannot help me anymore. I'm pretty sure legally this shouldn't be the case as I'm taking the car to the company I brought it from, even if it isn't the location I brought it from.

If you are using a Peterborough dealership you cannot be too far from me. Might be worth getting together to see if mine has the same noise as all I get is the dash creak when cold and going over speed humps but too be fair it does not bother me, yet.

had my diff oil changed, so all good there - disaster did strike though as on my way home from work due to some poorly parked traffic and my own mistake I kerbed the rear wheel in 3 places :(! I was gutted..

Other than that, I have now reached the stage whereby I would not be able to go back to my old 507 - it takes me a while with some cars but I am happy with it. I couldn't go from the new interior to the old one and the lower speed exhaust noise in the new car is very appealing. I do feel it's harder to get the power down though compared to the older car due to the turbo torque.

Enjoying it so far.

Last edited:
If you are using a Peterborough dealership you cannot be too far from me. Might be worth getting together to see if mine has the same noise as all I get is the dash creak when cold and going over speed humps but too be fair it does not bother me, yet.

Happy to do that Puzzle. Can give you some more details on this if you want as well.

They're all the same group when it suits them.

I had a disgustingly bad experience from the Peterborough dealer.

Today I drove to Nottingham and back from Surrey - this was to look at some bucket seats for my track car. I didnt stop at all on the way back and experienced no back discomfort whatsoever - the seats are really fantastic and also especially after testing out a few bucket seats, the AMG seats are not that far off a real bucket seat - I like them a lot.

2300 miles in and I still have not seen another W205 C63 on the road yet (outside of a dealership) - still exclusive atm which is nice :)

They're all the same group when it suits them.

I had a disgustingly bad experience from the Peterborough dealer.

Agreed, the whole Mercedes experience has been a nightmare and I wish I'd never traded in my BMW for this car.

So Peterborough obviously wouldn't do anything about the car because there was nothing wrong with it in their eyes. Took the car to Norwich and straight away they agreed there was a fault with the car. Infact even before we'd been out in the car they knew what the problem was as there's an official fix for the problem now...

So the problem is the ambient light strips in the door move around, vibrate, etc. The fix for this is to break the clips that hold them in place and then glue them in. According to what I was told today, all newly built cars now have these strips glued in place.

Also while in Norwich they picked up another rattle coming from a rear cup holder so that also needs to be replaced.

The whole breaking clips and gluing in place doesn't sit well with me on a new car. Also don't know for sure this will fix it as I've been told in the past each time I've picked the car up that it was resolved. It's been in 7 times, not including the trip to Norwich.

However before I wasn't entitled to a replacement / refund because the car had no fault apparently. Now it has a fault again I'm not entitled to a replacement / refund because they can fix it. According to Norwich a car is a special item which isn't covered under the Supply of Service and Goods Act. Complete rubbish.

Appears I'm going to have to take them to court at this rate.

my c220 has the same door rattles, I have the bermester and ambient lighting, and this id the exact same noise, my dealer sorted it on the drivers door, however passengers was the same after it so its in next week to be fixed, claimed some clips were missing?

I have had two led lights in the handles fail, my drivers door and the rear passenger side door are currently out, being replaced next week. [emoji30]

Its little bits but they are so annoying!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Interesting. As I'm told the clips need breaking off and the strips being glued in instead. You'd think if there is an official fix as I'm told, all dealers would be fixing this the same way.

Agree the build quality on the W205 C series is awful. Yes nothing mechanical has gone wrong currently but the rest of the car appears to be poorly constructed. Going back when I was younger I've had Vauxhalls, Fords, Nissan and the like, all way way cheaper every day cars without a single issue or rattle. The recent BMW's I've had also were solid as anything.

I expect all these brands must have some problem vehicles but looking across this and the global forum. You see all the posts of people looking forward to their cars coming and then the same people posting back about issues. They won't sell huge amounts of these cars and only a fraction of those will post on forums. However it seems like a lot of those people that post have had issues. So to me that suggests that likely across the board there's a lot of poorly put together cars out there.

I'd even put up with that if the service was acceptable but that isn't either in my experience.

Well I collected my car 2 weeks ago and on the drive home I had 3 warning messages (for Pre Safe, blind spot and lane keeping failures) so it went back to the dealer the next day. After waiting 3 hours they hadn't found the fault so I had to leave the car. They kept working on the car and found a cut wire for the front radar which meant it shorted and blew the fuse. A week later everything on the centre console stopped working, including the screen so there was no music and I couldn't use any of the buttons on the console (sports exhaust, driving modes, suspension, etc). On the way back to the dealer a Traffic Sign Assist failure popped up just for good measure. COMAND wouldn't speak to the dealer's laptop but disconnecting the battery solved the problem but they don't know what the cause was which isn't very comforting. I've had more problems with this car in a week than my previous 4 W204 C63s put together so this car has rocked my confidence. To be fair the dealer has been excellent through all this.

Thankfully there aren't any obvious rattles yet but the dash doesn't seem that solid so I'm expecting some to develop. I've only done 700 miles so don't know what it will be like when I can finally put my foot down but at the moment, I'm not particularly enjoying the soft responses of the new car (always in Comfort mode). I think the damping in Comfort isn't right as it's still pretty firm yet there's a hint of float when going faster. I'm also totally disappointed by the absence of drama when starting up in (default) quiet mode and noisy mode isn't much better. I'm sure the new car is a substantially more effective, faster and cleverer car but so far it hasn't done much for me. I really hope things change when I can finally rev it. Everything is crossed but I'm so glad I still have my Black Series to go back to!

Last edited:
I do wonder if some of the builds were pushed through quite quickly given they started running short of some parts.

Might be worth everyone posting their build/delivery dates, could be a common theme.

Steve

Threads like these are a great advert for buying facelift models.

Well I collected my car 2 weeks ago and on the drive home I had 3 warning messages (for Pre Safe, blind spot and lane keeping failures) so it went back to the dealer the next day. After waiting 3 hours they hadn't found the fault so I had to leave the car. They kept working on the car and found a cut wire for the front radar which meant it shorted and blew the fuse. A week later everything on the centre console stopped working, including the screen so there was no music and I couldn't use any of the buttons on the console (sports exhaust, driving modes, suspension, etc). On the way back to the dealer a Traffic Sign Assist failure popped up just for good measure. COMAND wouldn't speak to the dealer's laptop but disconnecting the battery solved the problem but they don't know what the cause was which isn't very comforting. I've had more problems with this car in a week than my previous 4 W204 C63s put together so this car has rocked my confidence. To be fair the dealer has been excellent through all this.

Thankfully there aren't any obvious rattles yet but the dash doesn't seem that solid so I'm expecting some to develop. I've only done 700 miles so don't know what it will be like when I can finally put my foot down but at the moment, I'm not particularly enjoying the soft responses of the new car (always in Comfort mode). I think the damping in Comfort isn't right as it's still pretty firm yet there's a hint of float when going faster. I'm also totally disappointed by the absence of drama when starting up in (default) quiet mode and noisy mode isn't much better. I'm sure the new car is a substantially more effective, faster and cleverer car but so far it hasn't done much for me. I really hope things change when I can finally rev it. Everything is crossed but I'm so glad I still have my Black Series to go back to!

Greg - doesn't sound good at all.

Agree with you - the damping is annoying - comfort is too firm but not quite good enough for ultimate handling IMO rendering the other modes probably no use except on a perfect road or track. I do though think the car does have the startup drama - I think the new car is much louder/bassier than the W204 at "car park" speeds - its really quite loud IMO - I don't have an issue with the noise other than its not quite as good as the W204 overall.

PS I was really disappointed with the car when running in using comfort mode - Sports+ is very good in auto mode - nice blips etc but I use Individual with Race mode and manual gearbox mostly. The gearbox on this car is way better than the W204 - check it out in manual mode - very good.

Overall I think its a great car but its not special like my 507 was - maybe its the saloons sedate looks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom