W205 C63S 'things'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do wonder if some of the builds were pushed through quite quickly given they started running short of some parts.

Might be worth everyone posting their build/delivery dates, could be a common theme.

Steve

If you have a day to spare I can explain production planning.
But I don't think it will change anything.

I've experienced and heard of early build issues on various makes many times before.

It's almost as if they need the whole production process to bed in and all the operatives to learn the foibles of a new model before it becomes consistently good.

I know cars are incredibly complex these days but you would think the amount of experience these premium manufactures have would allow right first time throughout.

I've experienced and heard of early build issues on various makes many times before.

It's almost as if they need the whole production process to bed in and all the operatives to learn the foibles of a new model before it becomes consistently good.

I know cars are incredibly complex these days but you would think the amount of experience these premium manufactures have would allow right first time throughout.

A Mercedes has something like 5000+ parts in it (at the factory - so excluding the child parts that make up each individual part number) from a selection of about 45000 parts.
When I worked at Rastatt, there were 700+ rear bumpers for the B-Class alone.
Getting all those correct and assembled 1000+ times per day by 2000+ people is not easy. Just think how when you do a job how much you vary... try writing the same letter 10 times "the same - exactly the same".
I think you'd actually be surprised how good they are it considering all the issues.

Threads like these are a great advert for buying facelift models.

I completely agree. Twice I have being a Guinea pig. Twice I've paid the price.
Now I will wait for facelifts nearing the end of their cycle.

Threads like these are a great advert for buying facelift models.

Or another brand? ;)

The W205 C63 might be new but the W205 wasn't just released. The bulk of the issues I've had with the car haven't been C63 related issues, they affect the smaller engined models just the same.

A Mercedes has something like 5000+ parts in it (at the factory - so excluding the child parts that make up each individual part number) from a selection of about 45000 parts.
When I worked at Rastatt, there were 700+ rear bumpers for the B-Class alone.
Getting all those correct and assembled 1000+ times per day by 2000+ people is not easy. Just think how when you do a job how much you vary... try writing the same letter 10 times "the same - exactly the same".
I think you'd actually be surprised how good they are it considering all the issues.

All human assembled things will have problems sometimes, it's quality control that catches those. Airplanes are far more complex however they don't come out of the factory and then a few of them drop out of the sky.

It's cost cutting unfortunately I guess but once robots start doing all the assembly other than if they fail, every car will be exactly the same.

Last edited:
The W205 C63 might be new but the W205 wasn't just released. The bulk of the issues I've had with the car haven't been C63 related issues, they affect the smaller engined models just the same.

I think you've misunderstood me; how old is the oldest W205? A year?

The owners of a new model tend to be the Guinea pigs, and most issues will get picked up on the facelift three or four years after.

The problem with new model 'faults' is the Automotive Industry psyche to blame a supplier in an effort to pass the costs away from the manufacturer. It is these 'negotiations' that delay improvement campaigns.

We have just refused a 'claim' from one of our customers due to our parts being 'to drawing' as issue by our customer but to them we were wrong as the part did not work as anticipated. Figure that out, to drawing and design intent but we are still wrong!

You have to also realise many of the items in a car are installed as assemblies which come from the supplier and all that happens is that they are attached on the line.

My pre facelift W204's dash was far more solid and had fewer rattles than the 3 facelifted models I had later. As for moving to other makes, a friend told me today his month old M3 went into limp mode and the dealer can't work out why. Maybe cars are just getting too complicated these days! :dk:

Maybe cars are just getting too complicated these days! :dk:

I totally agree with this. I adore new cars and their technology but all manufactueres are doing technology on a budget to make cars as affordable as possible. Surely with so many cars failing it with cost them more in the long run.

Ant.

I think you've misunderstood me; how old is the oldest W205? A year?

The owners of a new model tend to be the Guinea pigs, and most issues will get picked up on the facelift three or four years after.

Looking on Wikipedia it's got it as Feb 2014. So year and a half roughly. That's quite a long time to workout kinks and they aren't in the first model year either.

Anyway my C63S is refunded now. Dropped it off Saturday. So the hunt for something else starts but not sure what I'll go for. Ordered the wife a new Mini Clubman on Saturday with all the trimmings. That's their first SD demonstrator they've yet to get in so should be here before end of the year. However she's having the roof and mirrors painted red (Cars black).

That'll get us back to 2 cars as I'll drive hers old one until I work out what to want to do. Doesn't have to be manically fast, might go another direction and try a car type I've never had just for a few years.

I've tried a new 7 series by the way. Complete other end of the scale. That thing wafts over roads and the tech is out of this world. If you think 360 cams are good on the C63 the 3D view it does boggles my mind. BMW do really good deals vs Merc in my opinion.

Porsche Macan test drive in a couple of weeks. Gonna try a new A4 and TTS as well. I have a feeling a lot of new good cars next year though. New E63, M5 (Maybe 2017), TT RS and RS4. Nothing really to rival the C63 currently as I don't want an M3 anyway.

Good luck with the future choice.

Other than the creaking dash that sounds like an old rocking chair and something loose in the steering column area mine is going well. Got it booked in at the dealer now to look at the creaking dash as I picked an American colleague up at Heathrow this week and he was very impressed with my car until he heard the dash creaking. It's embarrassing in an expensive car.

My w204 made more noises than this car though (it went back after 3 days as centre console was chirping away) but the guys sorted all those out.

My dash wasn't too bad and I could have lived with it. By the time it had been in 8 odd times they'd got that solid as a rock and it wasn't making a single noise.

The doors I couldn't live with however and they never managed to make a dent or change even to the noise they made. :(

Car choice is going to be hard I think but will find something.

After reading this, boy am I glad I bought the M3. With full leather dash there are absolutely zero rattles. Doesn't help the majority but it may be food for thought for Fastlane :thumb:

After reading this, boy am I glad I bought the M3. With full leather dash there are absolutely zero rattles. Doesn't help the majority but it may be food for thought for Fastlane :thumb:

Scott, trust me, mine is fine overall - it's my second new c63 and some noises are par the course but I am assuming it will get sorted.

Thought I'd this question here, especially as it's for the W205 AMG.

Has any one got an exploded view diagram showing the fitment of the side skirts inserts? The top part of one of my carbon inserts has started to lift off.

Car is currently back at Mercedes 3rd week now, I'm having the defect in the paint work fixed - well they fixed the defect then created their own, the air intake was replaced. But now I've got excessive wind noise from the top of the drivers door and the carbon insert is loose.

Got totally cheesed off, so I mailed MB Germany and a proverbial rocket has placed firmly in the right place. However, i'm now booked in to take out the M4 and a Jag.

Steve

Im so close to cancelling my c63s coupe order after reading this.

There are guys on m3cutters complaining about rattles on their f8x Ms so Scott didn't give a fully surveyed sampled view :). One guy has had 4 cars.

My e92 m3 was solid as a rock to be fair, but was close to the last year of that model so probably all sorted.

To make anyone with rattles feel better, I am happy to take you out in my stripped out e46 m3, after that, your rattling Merc will seem like heaven :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom